PDA

View Full Version : "My lawn looks good for 2 days only"...???

K.Carothers
07-08-2006, 12:16 AM
I personally cut my lawn every 3-4 days and it shines. I have customers that want their lawn cut very short so that it last the entire week looking good. This is nearly impossible to accomplish.

Looking honestly at it, lawns need to be cut every 3-4 days(growing season) in order to always have that"Fresh" look.

Where did the 7 day cut come from? Was it the same person that came up with the 30 minute delivery for pizza???

If customers want that "clean" look, they have to have their lawn cut every 4-5 days but they are not willing to pay for a service that provides this.

Are you dealing with the same customers???

kc

rodfather
07-08-2006, 08:16 AM
I think the 7 day routine came from on average that is how often you have to mow over the course of the year...probably in light of homeowners doing it on Saturdays when they're off work.

Just my 2 cents.

Richard Martin
07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
My thoughts on the origin of the 7 day cut...

1: It's not a 7 day cut, it's once a week.
2: Some customers like to have their grass cut towards the weekend or once a week re: #1 above.
3: Some customers like to know when you're coming to service their lawn. It's easier to keep track of it if it's the same day every week. Re: #1 above.

garth1967
07-08-2006, 09:27 AM
nearly all my customers just love to be sitting on there porch reading there saturday paper then looking at there lawn thinking doesnt that look great and thank god i dont have to worry about that.then there are others who go to work say weds,the place starts to look shabby,then they come home that evening
they notice the lawn and think well there is one thing i dont have to deal with this weekend.thank god i got a professional lawn boy:laugh:

*aussieflag*

topsites
07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I would just cut it continuously, don't ever stop. If you get to where you need to sleep / eat / whatever, have someone ready to tag off, it would be best if they swap with you while the mower is in motion, only stop for the absolute least amount of time if you have to.
Every 8 hours, have another machine ready and again it would be best to never stop, get the 2nd machine going as you come cruising in on your first one, just swap like they did in the days of the pony express.
Once you got it down, do this for every yard on the schedule, don't forget to get paid every time you cut it, you should be able to rake in at least 700 / day / yard, you will cut it 24/7 now, even at night, don't stop.

jimmbo407
07-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I would just cut it continuously, don't ever stop. If you get to where you need to sleep / eat / whatever, have someone ready to tag off, it would be best if they swap with you while the mower is in motion, only stop for the absolute least amount of time if you have to.
Every 8 hours, have another machine ready and again it would be best to never stop, get the 2nd machine going as you come cruising in on your first one, just swap like they did in the days of the pony express.
Once you got it down, do this for every yard on the schedule, don't forget to get paid every time you cut it, you should be able to rake in at least 700 / day / yard, you will cut it 24/7 now, even at night, don't stop.
:confused:

LONEMAN
07-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I personally cut my lawn every 3-4 days and it shines. I have customers that want their lawn cut very short so that it last the entire week looking good. This is nearly impossible to accomplish.

Looking honestly at it, lawns need to be cut every 3-4 days(growing season) in order to always have that"Fresh" look.

Where did the 7 day cut come from? Was it the same person that came up with the 30 minute delivery for pizza???

If customers want that "clean" look, they have to have their lawn cut every 4-5 days but they are not willing to pay for a service that provides this.

Are you dealing with the same customers???kc

I agree. I tell most of my customers that lawns typically look good if they are cut every 4-5 days and that I have some customers who prefer I cut 4-5 days. Some people are just too cheap to pay for a cut every 5 days which only adds up to about 2 more cuts per month!! I think a cut once a week is also easier on the schedule, but not my lawn!! It grows so darn fast that if I don't cut it within 4 days, it looks like absolute crap after I cut it! Good thing none of my lawn jobs grow as fast... yet. :dizzy:

Adam3669
07-08-2006, 11:08 AM
One of my customers lawn grows out of control. By the 4th day it looks terrible its so long (I'm cutting at 3.25")

How should I bring up the idea of cutting every 4-5 days with them?

David Haggerty
07-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Nope. I don't have ANY "weekly" customers. They're all; cut as needed, when it grows to 4" it's cut back to 3"

My job isn't to "get the lawn looking good" but to "keep it looking good."
And that's not possible to do on a weekly schedule in the bluegrass belt.

We have a phenomenol growth rate in the spring, then if you mow every week in August you're killing it. Nobody waters here.

I have problems with plant managers who move here form out of state. They all know what's best for the lawn till about the second season. Then they're telling me "You just handle it."

I once had the personel manager of Cincinnati Milacron come running out to stop me. He said "Didn't you just mow here 3 days ago?" I answered "Yeah, but it needs it again." He looks around and says, "But..but.....Oh,go ahead."

90% of what you read posted here don't apply to us because they're not in the bluegrass belt. From Indianapolis to Pittsburg, and from Louisville to Columbus. Maybe a little more.
If you work here the weekly schedule will give you grief. Just rip those days of the week off of the top of the calendar and go on a 3day, 5day, 7day, 10day, or 14day schedule. Mow it as it grows.

Oh, and about those customers wanting it short, does nothing but give you an ugly weedy lawn. And weeds actually grow faster than grass. So it's pretty much counterproductive.

It's just the way I see it. And so far I have 20 customers who agree with me. 20 big customers. Must be a family thing cause thay all have the same last names. "Inc."

Dave

LONEMAN
07-08-2006, 02:05 PM
A couple weeks ago, I mowed one of my lawns on a Tuesday instead of Thurs so I could mow it again on Sat. Customer comes out and asked why I mowed today, so I explained to him how the grass was growing fast and it needed to be cut (explained to him once before I could do it every couple of days unti it slows down and he said ok, or so I thought.) He tells me that he just wanted me to cut once a week, so I told him I would be back Sat, then again thurs so the grass looks nice until I can come back thurs, but he tells me to just come back on thurs. This indicated to me that he didn't want to pay for just one more cut, which was only $30 by the way. So I waited until next Thurs and had to triple cut it in some areas... :dizzy:

Would be nice if I had more customers like David Haggerty's...

robbo521
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
what 7th day do you cut on?

out4now
07-08-2006, 02:15 PM
If they are that concerned about the look sell them a growth regulator application.

old dog 80
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
If they are that concerned about the look sell them a growth regulator application.
Cut back on the nitrogen!!!