PDA

View Full Version : The Nerve of Some People

Tn Lawn Man
07-08-2006, 09:22 AM
A client that I mow for called me and asked about shrub pruning. I told her that I was due to mow her that day and that I would look at them and talk with her.

When I got there and started talking to her I noticed that she kept asking me specific questions about pruning methods. A flag went up *newusflag*.

I cut the conversation short and told her to give me a minute or two to look at the shrubbery more closely and I would give her a bid. In my mind I was thinking about $150.

This is where it went off the deep end. She said, "Oh, I don't need a bid. I know that I cannot afford you. But, there is a fella that does work for me and he said that he would use my electric clippers and do it for $30. But, I know that he doesn't know how to prune them properly but YOU DO. So, I figured I would ask you how to do it and then tell him."

In all my years I would NEVER consider doing this. What are people thinking????:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

QualityLawnCare4u
07-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Doesnt that just chap your azz when that happens? Like taking your car to the dealer and asking them to show you how to fix it, what king of quick answer do you think they would give you:laugh:
People seize to amaze me and I can tell you more than one horror story on shrubbery I have encountered.

ProStreetCamaro
07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Sometimes people really cant afford to have a professional do it. Just feel good that she had praise for you and trusted you enough to ask you whats the proper way to do it.

Oxmow
07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Ya should have told her what your "consultation" fee was then asked her what she would like to know.

Charles
07-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Ya should have told her what your "consultation" fee was then asked her what she would like to know.

Yea, your time and knowledge are valuable.

I try not to speculate on what people can afford. Usually they have the money. They just don't want to spend it on you and your service. Everybody has different priorities. Your priority should be getting the most money for your time/expertise and/or labor

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Mam it would cost me more than $30 to show you what needs to be done. If you want have him give me a call and I will be happy to discourage him from doing your shrubs for a mere $30. Let's put it this way! Your not going to get a $150 knowledge for $30. Have a nice day!!!

Idealtim
07-08-2006, 12:24 PM
That is complete B.S. Some people just don't get the big picture of us trying to make money. I walk away from houses like that with my head spining asking myself, did they really do/say that?

deerbutcher
07-09-2006, 09:46 AM
By reading this board, I can relate alot of customer issues with my winter job, deer processing. This thread made me think of the customers that want me to give them my sausage recipe but were gonna do their sausage themselves. Or the hunters that did make their own sausage, but expect us to vacuum pack it for them while they wait for it.

When I started in deer processing, my price was alot lower than it is now, but after time passes, people trust me in knowing their deer will be done the way they want it. They tell their friends, they come to me and then they tell friends, and so on. I am one of the more expensive processors in my area now and sometimes have to turn away work. That sounds like some of the LCOs on this board.

Shawns Lawns
07-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I once had a custome call me and ask if he could hire my help because i was to much.

topsites
07-09-2006, 10:07 AM
In all my years I would NEVER consider doing this. What are people thinking????:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

I hear you man, just a day or two ago I had a customer gave me a similar wake up call... We were talking about this and that and I had a feeling he couldn't afford it (or should I say wouldn't pay ME to do it) because I mentioned it would cost several hundred dollars, and his answer: Hmmmm, you know you're right, I'm going to have to call someone professional to do this.

For those of you who didn't get the hint, this translates to I'm just a low-life lawn boy in their minds.

But you know what I think? I think customers like that are asking for it, you only need to do this to me once to let me know what you think of me. Once you do this to me, I know where we're headed. Because there comes a time, there always comes that time of the year: LEAF season! When those leaves start to falling and a customer who done let me know I am not worth the dirt on their shoes calls me, you know what happens?

I will eat your crud while I'm cutting your grass, ohhh I'll kiss your tail and I'll smile and act all nice because it's my mistake I didn't see you coming, but then grass cutting is easy and I can't afford to drop you mid season so I'll take your money and smile in your face when you abuse me but as for those leaves covering your yard... Well, I don't advertise leaves and I never said I would do them.

topsites
07-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Sometimes people really cant afford to have a professional do it. Just feel good that she had praise for you and trusted you enough to ask you whats the proper way to do it.

I can understand that, but the reason I know how to do it is due to experience, and knowledge ain't free...
Sure we give free estimates, but they're not really free, either. It is a little bit about asking an auto mechanic what he would do to fix the problem, step by step, so you can diy.

So how about I ask the lady if she's married, seeing how this is about trading services, would that fly?

Come to think of it, maybe it would :laugh:
(thou from having been down that road, nothing ever comes out of that, either)

David Haggerty
07-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Happens all the time. Companies who take bids ask you to submit a proposal. What they are wanting is complete plan of what services you believe to be necessary.
I worked up a complete plan for a company that was having drainage problems. I submitted a complete plan for cleaning out a ditch and installing french drains. They used my proposal for competitors to bid on. I didn't get the job but it was done precisely as I'd proposed.
I only had to learn that lesson once. Proposals are now appropriately vague.

I'm pretty tight with the free estimates too. I try to have more questions than answers.

leadarrows
07-09-2006, 10:55 AM
So how about I ask the lady if she's married, seeing how this is about trading services, would that fly?

Come to think of it, maybe it would :laugh:
(thou from having been down that road, nothing ever comes out of that, either)
Don't forget to mention shes only worth 10 bucks a throw, but you will be glad to put her on an instalment plan. :laugh:

olderthandirt
07-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Happens all the time. Companies who take bids ask you to submit a proposal. What they are wanting is complete plan of what services you believe to be necessary.
I worked up a complete plan for a company that was having drainage problems. I submitted a complete plan for cleaning out a ditch and installing french drains. They used my proposal for competitors to bid on. I didn't get the job but it was done precisely as I'd proposed.
I only had to learn that lesson once. Proposals are now appropriately vague.

I'm pretty tight with the free estimates too. I try to have more questions than answers.

Its amazing how fast you become enlightened when you see your plans being done by someone else. Your correct saying it only happens once.

I'd drop the woman as a customer for having the nerve to ask that question. She's trouble and you won't retain her long anyway, so instead of her " no longer needing your services" I would no longer be able to "maintain her property at the current rate".
You leave with all thats owed to you OR you making the $150 up real fast by increasing her rate.

Evergreenpros
07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
A client that I mow for called me and asked about shrub pruning. I told her that I was due to mow her that day and that I would look at them and talk with her.

When I got there and started talking to her I noticed that she kept asking me specific questions about pruning methods. A flag went up *newusflag*.

I cut the conversation short and told her to give me a minute or two to look at the shrubbery more closely and I would give her a bid. In my mind I was thinking about $150.

This is where it went off the deep end. She said, "Oh, I don't need a bid. I know that I cannot afford you. But, there is a fella that does work for me and he said that he would use my electric clippers and do it for $30. But, I know that he doesn't know how to prune them properly but YOU DO. So, I figured I would ask you how to do it and then tell him."

According to the Department of Homeland Gardening, if it is past the 15th of June it is recommended to cut the plants and shrubs 3 inches from the ground as it will still have 90days left of the growing season to come back. Cutting all the way back thus increases the plant health by removing all diseased and nonviable plant matter which, if left uncut, will ultimately contribute to the entire plant's demise.

It's the same principle as cutting grass to the ground is more healthy than leaving all those leaves 3-4 inches long which attracts disease, bugs, etc. Plus with really short grass it takes almost no water and no fertilizer to keep looking good.

WJW Lawn
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Maybe you could lend your 48" to the neighbor boy so he could cut her lawn for 10 dollars!! Can you do that??? OH THANKS! GEEEZ THESE FREAKIN PEOPLE!!!

crawdad
07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I hear you man, just a day or two ago I had a customer gave me a similar wake up call... We were talking about this and that and I had a feeling he couldn't afford it (or should I say wouldn't pay ME to do it) because I mentioned it would cost several hundred dollars, and his answer: Hmmmm, you know you're right, I'm going to have to call someone professional to do this.

For those of you who didn't get the hint, this translates to I'm just a low-life lawn boy in their minds.

This is where you should have reminded him that he was talking to "someone professional."

But you know what I think? I think customers like that are asking for it, you only need to do this to me once to let me know what you think of me. Once you do this to me, I know where we're headed. Because there comes a time, there always comes that time of the year: LEAF season! When those leaves start to falling and a customer who done let me know I am not worth the dirt on their shoes calls me, you know what happens?

I will eat your crud while I'm cutting your grass, ohhh I'll kiss your tail and I'll smile and act all nice because it's my mistake I didn't see you coming, but then grass cutting is easy and I can't afford to drop you mid season so I'll take your money and smile in your face when you abuse me but as for those leaves covering your yard... Well, I don't advertise leaves and I never said I would do them.

This is where you get to tell him that he needs to call "someone professional."

nbizati
07-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Get rid of this PITA fast. The next question will be "what is the correct way to mow the grass? This kid will do it for $$$ cheaper. Will you show me?"

Tell her to beat it. Focus your time and energy on people that have the money and appreciate the work you do for them. Just my .02 cents:nono:

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 12:23 AM
I would have given the customer a couple of minutes of my time, as it is a regular and was honest with you, if the other guy stuffs it up you will get the job later, she did mention its some one who works for her, her gardener perhaps, 2 minutes of your time will not kill you, if you don't give advice and he does a really, really bad job , who will the nieghbours and others blame when they see your truck parked reg out the front.

Remember you will not get every job going, so theres no reason to stuff up the one you have over it, (lawns) by giving a little advice it shows you gen care about her yard and are not just worried about payup payup payup

topsites
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM
This is where you should have reminded him that he was talking to "someone professional."

This is where you get to tell him that he needs to call "someone professional."

I hear what you're saying but over the years I got tired of explaining things to people.

I found more often than not I am wasting my breath. I've done went through the process of explaining things step by step and them going 'ok' and 'yeah' and like they understand and I'm thinking 'ok cool' and then I'm done explaining and not two minutes later they're right back on the same track we were on before I opened my mouth.

And I been through that so many times, it got to where I don't say much anymore. If they don't get it, I have found it is unlikely an explanation will help, I'll offer it if I like them or if I'm in a good mood, but most of the time it don't do no good.

That's just my experience, I hope someone else's is different, that would be nice.

garth1967
07-10-2006, 01:36 AM

i would tell her striaght that i was deeply offended by this and suggest to her to tell this guy to bring his mower along whilst he is doing this lowball job

Ben@speedbarn
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
If she was a good customer and asked up front for some tips so she could do it herself I would be willing to give some of my time. But she was trying to sneak the info out of you so she could pay someone else to do it, and that is not cool.

Sandgropher
07-11-2006, 11:17 AM
If she was a good customer and asked up front for some tips so she could do it herself I would be willing to give some of my time. But she was trying to sneak the info out of you so she could pay someone else to do it, and that is not cool.

Yes but i still wonder who this guy is that does work for her handyman/gardener perhaps, its his job isn't it ? and if he says he will do it for $30 i say good luck to her, i would be doing the same thing she is doing.(getting expert advice)*aussieflag*