PDA

View Full Version : problems with sfs deck

luke125
07-08-2006, 03:41 PM
hey guys
i'm having problems with my toro mower it has a 44" sfs deck and the cut is uneven. the blades are sharp and the deck is all the same height. it seems to me that the blade that is closest to the side discharger the one on the right isn't cutting as good as the others. i've switched up the blades to make sure it's not the blades fault. I'm not mowing on a slope either this is on flat ground.

please if you can help me out i have this on customer that just won't quit nagging

sjessen
07-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Is the cut even? If not, you could have a bent blade or bent deck.

What exactly is wrong with the cut? Is it leaving stragglers? Uncut grass,etc? If you can give us a few more details it would help.

Also, check to be sure there is not grass buildup.

grassmanvt
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Loose spindle or bearing going on spindle causing the messy cut on that side???

topsites
07-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Let me ask you something:
Have you changed the height of the deck at all?
If so, don't assume all the settings are exactly right... I've done this and had one pin was off by one hole and I must've looked at the deck 15 times and could've sworn it was straight and level, but it wasn't.

This is one of the main reasons I refuse to change deck height for anybody.

Tn Lawn Man
07-08-2006, 05:04 PM
This time of year, especially in the south, bermuda grows like crazy. And, it shows every little bump and valley in the yard.

Are you sure it is not this?

TriCountyLawn
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Have you checked the tire pressue ? That can make a big difference.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Also make sure your deck is clean underneath, sometimes my sfs will not be cutting clean and sure enough the deck will be dirty underneath and not letting it discharge proper

wayne

luke125
07-08-2006, 10:10 PM
i've checked the deck level and i'm positive its all the same height and the tire pressure is good. the problem i am having is that the blade on the right isn't cutting good its messy and you can tell that grass is a little higher up than the rest.

this might help also the belt that controls the blades has already came off twice

sjessen
07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
If there is a problem with the belt, spindles or idler it may be that the right blade is not turning as fast as it should. Is the tensioner spring working properly? Sometimes the bracket it mounts on gets frozen which keeps the spring from doing its job.

Also, the height you want to be even is the height of the blade tips both front and back. Deck pitch is usually somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 inch with the front lower than the rear.

oldturf
07-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Several people around the country have had trouble with the sfs decks and I am one of them. I have stated in previous post that I have two 62'' sfs decks and both are warped. I tried to get Toro to replace the decks after they replaced the spindles and it did not help. The "fix" was to put spacers under the blades on the discharge side on both machines. I found another person in Florida having the same problem and they would not stand behind his either.My dealer fought with them until I told him to forget it and sell me a JD.
Toro said that the problem was that I was mowing to fast and the decks could not stand up to the vibration. I mow soccer fields and you have to mow fast and if they can't stand the strain then why make them go that speed. They have corrected the problem with their new decks but their refusal to stand behind an obviously flawed piece of equipment has turned me away from Toro and I am in the process of turning everything green. I bought a JD 997 and am completely sold on that very very good machine. Good luck with Toro and when you get tired of the run around then get something else, anything else,