PDA

View Full Version : 17hp briggs /craftsman mower

broken mower
07-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi guys , not in business just mow at home . I have 2 acres of grass and I have a craftsman 17hp OHV Briggs & Stratton mower . M#311707 .

Second year I've owned it (Its 90s model ), and I changed the oil before the first cut this yr . It died on the second cut this year (wifes been push mowing , phew) .Anyway , it ran , then when I engaged the mower deck or put it under and type of load it ran real ruff and blew a THICK white smoke...like thick enough the fire dept might get worried , no lie . It would then stall .

I did a compression check at it reads 80 . I'm no mechanic , don't know where to go from here . I am mechanically inclined though and do my own vechicle worked..swaped engines ect , so I should be able to handle this . I was planning on maybe getting a rebuild kit , guessing piston rings , and the thick white is oil burning ?

Figured I better ask people who know what thier doing before I do anything major . I did peek under the valve cover , and took the rockers off to spin the valves thinking maybe a piece of junk goit under one , weather I have them on correctly or not now is unsure . I doubt it because I cant keep it running now .

Any help would be great .

Restrorob
07-09-2006, 10:29 PM
It's hard to say what caused the white smoke, I have seen condensation in a engine cause this.
Looks like you need to get the valves back in order so you can do some more testing if that doesn't solve the problem.

Go to post 3 in this thread for the adjustment procedure;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=147559

broken mower
07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
TY very much sir .

barnard
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Leaking head gasket between the combustion chamber and the push rod cavity pressurizing crank case and blowing oil out the crankcase breather tube into the intake. Check your air filter. I'll bet its oily.

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Leaking head gasket between the combustion chamber and the push rod cavity pressurizing crank case and blowing oil out the crankcase breather tube into the intake. Check your air filter. I'll bet its oily.

Wouldn't that cause blue smoke instead of white :confused:

broken mower
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Yes , very oily ! I was guessing oil rings , would a bad head gasket drop my compression ? After messing with the valves I got 100 compression . The smoke is white as white can be .

Restrorob , Thx for the info , I'm lost as to how to set to .005 - .007" , is that a tourque spec?

Anyway , looks like my first lawn mower tear down . How much am I looking at for a rebuild kit ?

On a side note I've been looking at real mowers , 3cylinder diesels . Ebay seems to have good deals on them often . Anything specific to stay away from if I do purchase 1 ? (I really dont have the money , but I get the power bug easy)

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
That is 5 to 7 thousandths with a feeler gage between the rocker adjuster screw and the valve stem. And there is no rebuild kit, Parts needed are purchased separately.

barnard
07-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't that cause blue smoke instead of white :confused:
not in the case of large amounts of oil. Need convinced? Try this, start an engine your not real particular about . Remove the air filter run it up to governed rpm. Take a pump oiler and squirt oil in the carb throat. You'll see large volumes of white smoke. there is more oil present than can be burned and the resultant smoke is white.

barnard
07-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes , very oily ! I was guessing oil rings , would a bad head gasket drop my compression ? After messing with the valves I got 100 compression . The smoke is white as white can be .

Restrorob , Thx for the info , I'm lost as to how to set to .005 - .007" , is that a tourque spec?

Anyway , looks like my first lawn mower tear down . How much am I looking at for a rebuild kit ?

On a side note I've been looking at real mowers , 3cylinder diesels . Ebay seems to have good deals on them often . Anything specific to stay away from if I do purchase 1 ? (I really dont have the money , but I get the power bug easy)
Yes it will lower compression. And bad oil control rings won't put oil in the intake.

WINGSTER
08-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi guys , not in business just mow at home . I have 2 acres of grass and I have a craftsman 17hp OHV Briggs & Stratton mower . M#311707 .

Second year I've owned it (Its 90s model ), and I changed the oil before the first cut this yr . It died on the second cut this year (wifes been push mowing , phew) .Anyway , it ran , then when I engaged the mower deck or put it under and type of load it ran real ruff and blew a THICK white smoke...like thick enough the fire dept might get worried , no lie . It would then stall .

I did a compression check at it reads 80 . I'm no mechanic , don't know where to go from here . I am mechanically inclined though and do my own vechicle worked..swaped engines ect , so I should be able to handle this . I was planning on maybe getting a rebuild kit , guessing piston rings , and the thick white is oil burning ?

Figured I better ask people who know what thier doing before I do anything major . I did peek under the valve cover , and took the rockers off to spin the valves thinking maybe a piece of junk goit under one , weather I have them on correctly or not now is unsure . I doubt it because I cant keep it running now .

Any help would be great .

Did you ever fix it? I have the same mower with the same problem, "call the fire dept !!". My compression is 100 cold and 110 hot. It smokes very little for the first 3-4 minutes, but when its hot, here comes the mosquito killer! I'm interested in what you did to fix it, as I'm going to start looking at the head tomorrow.
Thanks.

broken mower
08-23-2006, 07:06 AM
It was the head gasket , 6$ .

WINGSTER
08-23-2006, 09:28 AM
It was the head gasket , 6$ .

Thanks for the quick response, I'm getting ready to pull head.

WINGSTER
08-25-2006, 12:24 AM
I changed the head gasket and that cured the problem!
Thanks for the help, now my wife is happy again.:rolleyes: