PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs. Chevy Front ends

Mike33
07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Okey i know this will get real debate but im asking for serious in put. Im ready nor a new truck un easy what to buy. I pull a bobcat 185 with hoe attm. on 16' trailer and i will pull a hydro seeder 1000 gal. cap. I currently use a 03 f-350 srw 4x4 and except with the 6.0 being junk i have had great results. Also i have manual 6 sp. live in w. md. with hills . I also plow snow with boss v plow. I will buy the 350 or 3500 srw considering automatic this time. Could i have some opion on the chevy front ends comparing to ford and the auto tranny. Why i dont want dually and i know it would ork great foe me is parking at wall-mart, etc., and snow plowing drive thrus.
Mike

lafd04
07-14-2006, 07:35 PM
The alison kicks a##. Its a great tranny we've got one in our new utilty truck for the fire dept. However the torqueshift I've always thought to be a good trans too. The rear section of the trans is the same as an old c6 which was one fords best trans. The torqueshift uses the ect to determine tempature to adjust shift patterns for the best economy and power. For front ends what have all heavy trucks that get worked use? whats been used for years under vehicles that get subjected to any abuse. Not 2 half shafts that are the thickness of your thumb. Solid axle takes the weight of the plow better then any indepedent front end will ever think to be. If you want a truck that will have that "car like ride" then get a chev, but most work trucks I've seen are fords.

Dirty Water
07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Fords E4D and Torqshift transmissions have a horrible flaw. They don't circulate fluid in reverse.

I'll never buy another ford automatic.

Mike33
07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys for your in put. I posted this thred a long time ago and got no responce, could not believe that.
Mike

Scag48
07-14-2006, 10:51 PM
We have both and I prefer a solid front axle that Chevy does not provide. Allison is a great tranny, but the independent suspension on Chevy's drive me crazy. I'd take a Ford with a manual tranny anyday, I really don't like automatics, let alone the Torqshift, but it gets me around with only minor hiccups on really hot days.

PLM-1
07-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Chevy/GMC's hold plows just fine. IMO, it is nothing to worry about. The only thing I don't like on the Ally is SLOW reverse, otherwise, AWESOME tranny and you can't beat the Duramax.

Gravel Rat
07-15-2006, 01:11 AM
The biggest problem with the IFS is its hard on tires and it has lots of parts to wear out. Lets see you have A arm bushings so 8 of them you have 4 ball joints, CV shafts,tie rod ends galore.

Look at a solid front axle aka mono beam its simple and tough it rides the roughest but you also have the strongest front end.

As for the Allison its not that good just because its a Allison it doesn't make it anybetter than the rest. One of the guys that I work with has friends that are GM mechanics and they are replacing Allison transmissions that have puked their guts on a regular basis. They are also doing alot of repairs on Duramax engines for head problems. Aluminum cylinder heads and cast iron blocks never work and its even worse with a diesel.

The 6.0 is no jewel either you can blame the enviromentalists making the gov't create so many stupid emmission rules which made the 7.3 PSD not good enough.

GM had to design a new engine the 6.5 was the biggest steaming turd they ever built.

The new Cummins are better they are more usuable power and quieter but they are still inbettween the frame rails of the cheapest P/U truck built on the planet. The engines are all electronic controlled so you can say good bye to cheap and easy repairs.

It doesn't matter what you buy its all JUNK with different brand names its good for 3-4 reliable years then after that the dealer has you buy the knackers when it comes to repairs.

A bare bones basic XL Ford F-350 regular cab srw 4x4 with diesel 6spd manual transmission is 38,000 dollars. A fully loaded lariat dually diesel torqushift 4x4 regular cab long box is pushing 57,000 dollars.

I went looking for a 2006 F-450 4x4 cab and chassis diesel 6spd 165 wheelbase regular cab 48,000 dollars. I looking at a F-550 4x4 diesel with 11' mason dump truck was advertised at 56,000 dollars.

Does it pay to own a new truck prolly not.

notoriousDUG
07-15-2006, 08:59 AM
If you plan to plow or work it hard IFS is a waste of money. There is to much to wear out and it will cost you in the long run when it comes to maintenance.

Mike33
07-15-2006, 09:42 AM
What is IFS?

jt5019
07-15-2006, 10:10 AM
IFS-independent front suspension

I have plowed with both fords and brand new Chevy's. I do not know much about the engines/trannys (we never had much of a problem with both trucks)My concern would be putting a heavier V plow on the IFS of a Chevy. I can tell you there is a noticeable sag to the front of Chevy's with plows attached. We have a 2005 Chevy 2500 hd with a 8 foot boss straight blade and even with the torsion bars turned up you can still notice a sag. If it wasn't for that the truck is great. It may not be a big deal but its something to consider. The front end would turn me off from buying another one if i planned on getting another plow.

TLS
07-15-2006, 11:18 AM
As for the Allison its not that good just because its a Allison it doesn't make it anybetter than the rest. One of the guys that I work with has friends that are GM mechanics and they are replacing Allison transmissions that have puked their guts on a regular basis. They are also doing alot of repairs on Duramax engines for head problems. Aluminum cylinder heads and cast iron blocks never work and its even worse with a diesel.

Oh....here we go. :rolleyes:

You just lost all credibility with me with those outlandish comments.:waving:

Mike33
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Okey here is what i did. I just bought a new 06 350 lariat 6.0 6 spd. manual. Here is why. in my earlier post you kind of know what i do , pull alot of weight and plow comm. with boss v plow. I have a 03 350 6.0 and had a lot of trouble with it but it was the first year. I was considering chevy duramax and allison because they seem proven. But i dont feel chevy front ends are as tough as fords. My guy who sellls boss plows says chevys really sag with them. second i need a 1 ton srw. the dually seems nice and would work for me well except for plowing some of my accounts, also i use my truck for pleasure and wal-mart parking sucks. Also i wanted ex. cab short bed for standard wheel base ford offers this. Chevy only has a long wheel base in the srw 3500 series. This is what i made my descision on , i have been a die hard ford man but i was very oprn minded on checking out chevys. I do like a manual every says the aut is great and im sure it is but with my current 03 i got 74,000 miles out of a set of brake pads and ball joints. I pull a bobcat 185 with hoe attm. and a 1000 gal. hydro seeder and the 350 srw has performed very well. For the dodges the cummins is well proven but the dodge truck seems to have issues. I have to agree with an other post it is tough to buy a good classy work truck to perform for what we need in this kind of business. I did get a good buy 350 psd, 6sp. lariat, leather, chrome package, heat seats, bigger tires , many more list 44,500 on sticker im buying for 37,600.00 Thanks every one for repling to my thread.
Mike