PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS-110R Disabled by Trigger Assembly!!!!

dcplace2004
07-09-2006, 12:52 AM
I know all the trash talk I have given other brands but this may be the last time I go with Stihl...I was out trimming on Thursday and my trigger stuck in and shot the thing to full throttle...the trigger could only be pulled out with my thumb and forefinger any time I wanted to throttle down...When I got home I took the assembly apart and if you can imagine that the trigger tension metal spring snapped into two pieces causing this whole ordeal...For something like this to happen on an expensive trimmer is absurd...I called the store that I bought it from and sure enough I was the one in a million that they claim this has happened to...they always tell me this when stuff ain't running right...they tell me that they have to order it which will take a week or more and they could overnight it and charge me the overnight charge--are they kidding me? I think they should be taking one of those springs off of their display machine for me...this thing is still under the 1 year crappy warranty...I may go redmax next time...anyone else have this happen or am I the poster child for manufacturer defects? Heck, my BR600 still ain't running right after 100 miles of driving to and from their store...over 6 hours driving and fuel costs...they better not charge me one cent and get a spring off of one of their trimmers for me...this ain't right...a tension spring -- go figure...

Kickin Your Grass
07-09-2006, 01:19 AM
I think they should be taking one of those springs off of their display machine for me...

I have had that done for me several times for different equipment.

dcplace2004
07-09-2006, 01:44 AM
"At such and such, service is a fact, not just a promise." That is the BS they boast...I will have to write someone in congress to have a spring taken off the display machine...Again, they said that this had never happened in their store's history...they said they did not have any of those springs and my trimmer would be out a week...I will rig it up for now somehow...I have a backup to use...I have a monkey that I turn loose with two small ninja swords...it does wonders with the weeds...

clay duncan
07-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Dont get too bad bent out of shape, #$%^ happens. i bought a redmax 2400 weedeater and i like it all right but i am going to stick with stihl. i have a fs 83 and a fs 85 that have been trough the ringer and i still use all day every day. it sounds like i have a better dealer than you though. they have always had whatever part i needed. i think i am going to try a fs90 next....

Brianslawn
07-09-2006, 02:56 AM
i had a spark plug go bad in a stihl that was 4 years old. breakdowns like those are just absurd.

lawnboy dan
07-09-2006, 09:08 AM
sthil stuff is crap! i will never buy any thing else fro them. the throttle desighn is just another example of poor desighn w/ cheap materiels.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Any brand of trimmer you purchase will have problems at times, no matter how small or large the part. It seems to me that you should be more upset with the dealer than the product, the dealer doesnt have the parts or the support that you need..........just my 2 cents worth

wayne

twj721
07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Could be worse,Just be glad that when it hung to wide open that it did not self destruct . Then you would really have a reason to be upset :laugh:

OMG
07-09-2006, 10:22 AM
i had a spark plug go bad in a stihl that was 4 years old. breakdowns like those are just absurd.

:laughing:

viper00085
07-09-2006, 10:58 AM
This post is funny. Its a $300 trimmer, things can and will break. its the nature of this and any other machine or service realted business that relies on machines and parts made in the quantities that these are. A $1.00 spring broke, call the press!! Nasa spends trillions on the space shuttle and it has its issues while sitting on the launch pad ready to go into space, I had a mystery electrical issue with a $50,000 truck that took 10 trips to the dealer. **** happens, just have to get it fixed and right off the losses (pref on your taxes, if its for business!!:usflag: )

Now i will agree with what someone said before, dealer should have had that spring in stock, i know at our dealership, we stock that part. I have not seen any of them break yet out of the 200-300 4 mix units we have sold with that throttle control on it. We have had major issues with the cables fraying themselves apart back by the carb connection. Stihl changed the design for this years and now coats the cable to stop the fraying. And btw in any part of the u.s it should only take the dealer 1-3 days to order and get the part from one of stihls distrubtors, so saying it will take a week is a little absurd.

Dashunde
07-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Any brand of trimmer you purchase will have problems at times, no matter how small or large the part. It seems to me that you should be more upset with the dealer than the product, the dealer doesnt have the parts or the support that you need..........just my 2 cents worth

wayne

I agree.
Your dealer seems like the type who just wants to sit on their arse and collect your money.
Find another dealer, tell them your looking for a new dealer (bring out their competitive spirit), see if the new place wants to "earn" your business by getting things done and you up and running quickly.
You might get lucky...

ThirdDay
07-09-2006, 11:15 AM
You can say what you want but the new 4 mix stuff from Stihl does NOT hold up as well as the older FS-85 type 2 cycle products in the past. I was walking in the service department at my dealer and there were a ton of the new BR-600 blowers in for repair already. Quite a few 4 mix trimmers as well. They just don't hold up like Stihl's older stuff.

Not even close!

lawnboy dan
07-09-2006, 11:35 AM
i am not suprized!

viper00085
07-09-2006, 11:37 AM
i unfort have to agree with you there, the new 4mix stuff is keeping us busy in our serv dept also. Its just like none of these manufacturers these days do good R&D and testing before releasing new products. The 4 mix trimmers have had coil and cable issues, and the blowers had major exh valve issues keeping us busy. they have worked thru them but, it leaves a sour taste in customers mouths after having problems with there first new units.

topsites
07-09-2006, 11:41 AM

On another line of equipment, my VW Golf crapped out one day barely at 297,000 miles it just quit running, just like that, poof.
A mechanic checked it out and said the number 4 cylinder was down about half compression and there was NO fuel going to the engine thou the fuel pump ran fine so it was likely the jet fuel controller which costs 900+ new just for the part.
It was unreal, not even 300,000 miles that car would go, can you believe that?!!

I guess reading this thread, I feel fortunate all my new 4-mix stuff has held up well, not a single issue.
But then I've had 2 stihl products crap out after hardly a season's use as well, I hear say this is normal, you get some like that.
Then my Echo ran 3+ years every single day and just when I thought it might not last another season, it ran another year without ado... But echo, stihl, redmax, whatever... I don't think it's a matter of switching brands that helps, sometimes you just get lucky with one, other times you don't. sux, but I guess it's just the way it is.

dcplace2004
07-09-2006, 01:27 PM
The also probably are one of those who charge 15 dollars a cut...A spark plug went out after 4 years or the vw many mile bs...I am talking about a spring that should be tempered better than it was...yes things go bad and are not built properly or have manuf defects (humans included) but I have had and am still having problems with my BP blower BR600 and have for a year...the dealer cannot fix anything and give people the run around...I like sarcasm like the next person but I am talking about a spring that should not have broke...the metal just sheared off with less than normal use...I do this nonsense less than part-time...you should be able to take one of those springs off and take a pair of pliers and bend that spring end and it should take some pretty great force to break it...normal use -- nope!

mcwlandscaping
07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
You can say what you want but the new 4 mix stuff from Stihl does NOT hold up as well as the older FS-85 type 2 cycle products in the past. I was walking in the service department at my dealer and there were a ton of the new BR-600 blowers in for repair already. Quite a few 4 mix trimmers as well. They just don't hold up like Stihl's older stuff.

Not even close!
i totally agree, i have the FS85 and love the thing to death, but the other day i used a new four mix trimmer and i didnt like it that much at all and could really picture the thing breaking easily.

lawnmaniac883
07-09-2006, 02:20 PM
This is funny. The thread STARTS off with one guy complaining that something actually broke on his trimmer...sh!t happens man get over it. I agree that your dealer should be doing more than he is but dont blame the manufacturer for such a minor defect. Now the thread has turned into a stihl bashing arena where everyone and his brother are preaching how stihl products are such crap and the new 4-mix sucks and all that. IMO if you havent owned one then you have no place at all to talk smack about a 4-mix. I personally wont be going back to the garbage 2strokes after having used 4-mix equipment. The difference is night and day to me; only problem I have had so far is an ignition coil that went out on the trimmer. Took it to my dealer and had it in my hands the next morning now that is service.

Mike, how can you even say that just because you used a new one for 1 minute that you could picture the thing breaking easily? WTF kind of comment is that?

Back to the original poster though, DC, where is your backup trimmer? Are you saying that because you only have one trimmer it is all stihls fault for having a manufacturing defect in their equipment? If you really are a commercial property maintenance company then you just got caught with your pants down, get another trimmer man! Backups are key in this business.

Thirdpete
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
youre a fool. what makes you think people in congress give a damn about a broken spring on a $300 trimmer? don't you think you're wasting their time and doing us all a big disservice by wasting their time with this stupid crap? they have efficiency issues as it is what makes you tihnk your stupid trimmer problem is going to make it any better?

Brianslawn
07-09-2006, 06:08 PM
i like stihl. ive bought 15 new stihl products, this year. also all the trimmer line we use is stihl.

i got 20 boxes each of kohler, briggs, and walker parts.... but only one for stihl parts. the only problems weve had all year from our stihl equipment were the mexicans afraid of getting hurt and not running them at WOT.

6'7 330
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Sounds like your dealer support or dealer himself is ******ed,probably both switch, to a new better dealer. There should be plenty of better Stihl dealers to choose from. Things go out of heavily used take a beatin by employees equipment.We have 20 or more of the same FS 110 trimmer, only issues were two ignition modules went out under warranty.We have been all Stihl trimmers, hedge trimmers, saws for years.And this season we are bought 3 BR600 that have run superbly, and they fit the bill to tee for our city accounts.

Dashunde
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
youre a fool. what makes you think people in congress give a damn about a broken spring on a $300 trimmer? don't you think you're wasting their time and doing us all a big disservice by wasting their time with this stupid crap? they have efficiency issues as it is what makes you tihnk your stupid trimmer problem is going to make it any better?

Ok... I'll be the one to say it.

No... your an ignorant arse. :hammerhead:
He was using a figure of speach, ie.. "It took an act of Congress to get that spark plug out", or.. "It's going to take an act of Congress to get them to swap out those springs".

Now turn off your computer, before it abuses you further.

Envy Lawn Service
07-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Didn't read the whole thread... but I would have to agree on the dealer with the one in a million thing. I have never had one break and I've been using them for years. Sounds to me like the spring MFG made ONE that was brittle enough to snap. If I were the dealer, I doubt I would have one in parts stock either.

But one thing is for SURE... any Stihl dealer that has product stock has the spring 'on-hand'. I'd be pizzed too if he wouldn't take the part off a showroom or warehouse unit.

Sounds like you need a new dealer instead of a new brand.