PDA

View Full Version : what is your forecast for stinging insects...?

geogunn
07-09-2006, 12:40 AM
my forecast suddenly sucks. I got nailed today...luckily only once.

and that is because I am a pretty fast guy when I need to go.

I pulled up today and before I could unload the unit, it was covered in yellow jackets.

my theory is it was the smell of sweet mowed grass that drew them...which is a result of them being near by in the first place.

I scoped the situation for about 10 minutes before I unloaded the unit and they seemed to dissipate....

and all went OK until the trimming...then whammo. only one sting and it has hurt now for over seven hours. my experience is it will hurt for about three days.

the homeowner stated they have been real bad for about three days...which would correspond with a nice rainfall we had. I thanked her for calling.

so what is the stinging insect forecast in your area?

GEO :hammerhead:

lawnman_scott
07-09-2006, 01:09 AM
We trimmed a bunch of palms last week that were covered with bees and wasps. My employee got stung but thankfully I didnt.

K.Carothers
07-09-2006, 01:40 AM
I have yet to be stung by any flying insect this year (besides mosquitoes)

kc

crawdad
07-09-2006, 06:34 AM

so what is the stinging insect forecast in your area?

GEO :hammerhead:

The yeller-jacket season is just beginning here in my area, which happens to close to yours. I found two underground nests last week, and I'll probably find more this week. I've been fortunate in past years, I usually only get one sting per nest, though I was able to spot these ones and escape sting-free. I'm always scanning the ground for those little round holes. As you know, they like places where there used to be a tree, and the old roots have rotted, leaving an easily excavated area for their nest. The best way to find them is to wear shorts when you mow, they'll get you on the back of the leg. :blob2:
My prediction? There's gonna be a bunch of them this year.

Be careful out there.

tinman
07-22-2006, 05:39 PM
worst I have seen them here in Georgia ever. Been so dry they are everywhere lookin for water. They love wet grass on trimmers & mowers. Parked this morning and when I was done there were 10 sitting on my hood where it had rained a little and some tree sap junk was also on the hood. I hate yellow jackets

lawnwizards
07-22-2006, 05:43 PM
my suggestion is to carry an extra can of gas and when you find a nest, pour some gas down it and charge the customer a couple of dollars extra to cover the gas. next time you cut there wont be any yellow jackets.. done this to 6 holes in the ground so far this year. seems like theyre worse this year.

grass-scapes
07-22-2006, 06:15 PM
my suggestion is to carry an extra can of gas and when you find a nest, pour some gas down it and charge the customer a couple of dollars extra to cover the gas. next time you cut there wont be any yellow jackets.. done this to 6 holes in the ground so far this year. seems like theyre worse this year.

Doesn't that break some kind of EPA regulation or environmental hazard law? LOL. I know it works, but it also works at drawing a fine or a complaint from the homeowner. Get some cans of wasp and hornet killer.

6'7 330
07-22-2006, 06:41 PM
The wasps, yellow jacket are over populated here this year, At least on my property they are lol.

Freddy_Kruger
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't even think I got a misqueto bite this year, its been so dry.

mcwlandscaping
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
havn't gotten stung yet this year but ive run away from quite a few close encounters!

THEGOLDPRO
07-22-2006, 06:49 PM
i mow a graveyard, and they are horrible there, last year there was like 6-7 nests in the yard at once.

lawnwizards
07-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Doesn't that break some kind of EPA regulation or environmental hazard law? LOL. I know it works, but it also works at drawing a fine or a complaint from the homeowner. Get some cans of wasp and hornet killer.
probably is against some EPA regulation but it works. as far as the homeowner, i've never had one complain yet, never worked for a tree hugger yet either.:laugh: "randy, could you please capture all of the yellow jackets and place them in the forest?" ha, yeah right.

BSDeality
07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
We were servicing a pond earlier this week and a wasp got my GF three times in the arm/shoulder through the shirt. but I haven't seen many more than usual.

olderthandirt
07-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I forcast many stinging insect in my neck of the woods for the 4 months in which time they will all pack up and head south for a warmer winter.
Maybe only 1/2 prediction is right but they will not bother me after Nov. so prove they did'nt go south for a vacation :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And some like it sooo much down thar they never to return :drinkup:

G.M.Landscaping
07-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Sure seems to be alot of them this year. I just got stung last week on the ankle from a ground nest of yellow jackets. Ran it over with the W/B. It bothered me for about 5 days of pain. I used a can of brake clean to kill them.

I've disturbed about 8 nests so far this year in various situations.

Armadillolawncare
07-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I got hit last week by a wasp while string trimming. At first I thought the trimmer tossed up a rock into my shoulder. I stopped for a moment and when I looked up I could see a wasp nest right above me hanging from the roof. I quickly backed away, called the owner and then charged him 25.00 to spray the nest with spray I keep in my truck. That was my first wasp sting and hopefully my last. It was tender for a few days.

Willofalltrades
07-23-2006, 12:52 AM
I haven't noticed any more than usual in Northern Ohio. On the other hand, mosquitos are nasty, We had a wet spring with lots of sitting water.

I had a nest in a old tree trunk last year. I went to my truck, got some gas, and lit that thing up. All that was left was a few crispy critters.