PDA

View Full Version : Man Offers Free Lawn Mowing to Lose Weight

twj721
07-09-2006, 09:53 AM
/7/06-COON RAPIDS, Minn.
Man Offers Free Lawn Mowing to Lose Weight

A local man who has struggled to lose weight is hoping a lawn mower will help him shed between 30 and 50 pounds.

After working up quite a sweat mowing his own lawn this summer, Darrell Nelson thought that he could get a good workout by mowing lawns for other people as well.

So, on the Web site Craig's List, he placed an ad offering to mow lawns for free.

He figures if he eats better and mows a lawn per day nearly every day of the week, he will be able to keep an exercise program going. He said he has a hard time keeping commitments to himself, but he will stick to commitments he makes to others.

"This is no joke or gimmick," he wrote on the Web site. "I need to lose weight. I have struggled on sticking to exercise programs, including just walking, for quite a while now."

Nelson is a former power lifter who's about 5-foot-9 and 258 pounds. Since news of his ad spread, he has fielded calls from the media, strangers even some women who have asked him out on dates.

"My life has been turned upside down, man, unbelievable," he said. "I was planning on doing five lawns: Mine plus four others. Now, I'm doing six lawns: Mine plus five others. ... I was just trying to do some yards and lose some weight, and it just voila away it went."

Lynden-Jeff
07-09-2006, 09:58 AM
This is what I do except I charge for it lol. Loose weight and make money at the same time!

Jeff

ed2hess
07-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I didn't do the work free when I started our business but I wanted to stay in shape so instead of running I cut grass. I thought it was kinda nice to be paid for getting exercise. Never used a rider until I got to 60.

Quail Creek LC
07-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I mow for the excercise as well and too get paid. The bad part is, I never seem to loose any weight doing so. If I do loose some, I gain it back in the winter. Guess I should watch what I eat:hammerhead:

grasswhacker
07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Ah, he used to be a power lifter:weightlifter: , but looks like the "dumbells" he was lifting were just above of his neck.:dizzy:

olderthandirt
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Ah, he used to be a power lifter:weightlifter: , but looks like the "dumbells" he was lifting were just above of his neck.:dizzy:

He want to stay healthy and live longer, so YOUR medical insurence won't go up and he won't be disabled so YOUR taxes won't be supporting him. The people he's mowing for would never pay to have there lawn cut so he's not stealing work.
He sounds like a pretty smart guy with a plan and I wish him al the luck in the world

weedwoop
07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I've always thought it strange that some folks pay me good money to mow their lawn while they go out running or bikeing for excercise.

grasswhacker
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
He want to stay healthy and live longer, so YOUR medical insurence won't go up and he won't be disabled so YOUR taxes won't be supporting him. The people he's mowing for would never pay to have there lawn cut so he's not stealing work.
He sounds like a pretty smart guy with a plan and I wish him al the luck in the world

I wonder what he'll do when he reaches his target weight? :rolleyes:

"Nelson said he doesn't even enjoy mowing the lawn. But he hopes to enjoy the fruits of his labor, all the while clipping blades of grass and clipping inches from his waistline.

His generosity does have limits, though: "I won't bag and I won't do any trimming."

Idealtim
07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Exercise just comes with it for me. Hell no i'm not doing it for free, with overhead, i'd be losing money obviously.

TurfProSTL
07-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Good plan. Nelson's doing some sweating and picking up chicks in the process.

No trimming, no blowing. Just a lonely old fat boy and his mower.

What cheapa$$ lazy biatch wouldn't go for that?

MOW ED
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
He lives in Minnesota. What do you think he is gonna do in 6 months? Get fat all over unless he offers free snow shoveling.:)

Up North
07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
He lives in Minnesota. What do you think he is gonna do in 6 months? Get fat all over unless he offers free snow shoveling.:)

Come on now Ed, what kind of backhanded comment is that??? You know we'll have snow on the ground in 3 months, not 6! LOL! :laugh:

I used to live in a neighboring city to Coon Rapids and one of my buddies says this guy lives a few houses down from his mom. He wants to call the guy and see if he'll mow his mom's lawn so he doesn't have to go do it each week. Hey, what the heck, more power to the guy. At least he's trying to take care of himself.

Buck

MOW ED
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I forgot that you lucky Minnesota people actually get snow. We just get cold and hope for snow.
Its cool that he is trying to lose weight and exercise is one way to help but the best way is to quit putting so much food in your yapper. I know as I lost 50 lbs over the winter. The mowing deal sure ain't for me. I would get really sick of push mowing for a workout. I much rather a 10 mile run every day.
Sounds like he is getting some female attention, that type of exercise can cause weight loss but it can also cause headaches.:dizzy:

LONEMAN
07-19-2006, 09:46 AM
This guy just appeared on the Today show today... Lost 20lbs so far I think.

WJW Lawn
07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Yea I saw that...and how Matt Lower said "maybe others will get out and mow for free to lose weight" Ya know what....screw that! Why not get out and build someone a deck for free? Or a house? or do some plumbing for people....or go fix someones HVAC. Im sorry...but I guess this is why some people STIFF us..and can't understand why we charge what we charge--because they don't think this is a real profession. Sure...cutting grass aint brain surgery....but it is how a majority of us make a living!!! So this fat ass gets on TV and encourages all fat people to get out and cut for free. Ya know what...Im 6'2 245...Im not slim....but Im not cutting your grass for free. Ya wanna lose weight....STOP EATING HO HO's!! It was the piece the Today Show did that really irked me! Acting like it's so sweet to get the fattys out to cut peoples lawns for free. Awwww how cute! BARF! What he doesnt know...is that all he's losing is water weight, and when I played college ball I'd lose 10 to 15 pounds in a day because of two-a-days....so this guy will more than likely double his weight when the snow comes.

Hey maybe we should all go cut for free!!! To help the people out!! Yea right...dude charged me 55 bucks yesterday to tell me that my HVAC needed a cleaning. This is what I told him but wanted him to fix it...nope...55 bucks to tell me what I already told him...then it would be another 150 to clean it. Why dont people start offering that service for free! Sorry...had to vent.

TurfProSTL
07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Yea I saw that...and how Matt Lower said "maybe others will get out and mow for free to lose weight" Ya know what....screw that! Why not get out and build someone a deck for free? Or a house? or do some plumbing for people....or go fix someones HVAC. Im sorry...but I guess this is why some people STIFF us..and can't understand why we charge what we charge--because they don't think this is a real profession. Sure...cutting grass aint brain surgery....but it is how a majority of us make a living!!! So this fat ass gets on TV and encourages all fat people to get out and cut for free. Ya know what...Im 6'2 245...Im not slim....but Im not cutting your grass for free. Ya wanna lose weight....STOP EATING HO HO's!! It was the piece the Today Show did that really irked me! Acting like it's so sweet to get the fattys out to cut peoples lawns for free. Awwww how cute! BARF! What he doesnt know...is that all he's losing is water weight, and when I played college ball I'd lose 10 to 15 pounds in a day because of two-a-days....so this guy will more than likely double his weight when the snow comes.

Hey maybe we should all go cut for free!!! To help the people out!! Yea right...dude charged me 55 bucks yesterday to tell me that my HVAC needed a cleaning. This is what I told him but wanted him to fix it...nope...55 bucks to tell me what I already told him...then it would be another 150 to clean it. Why dont people start offering that service for free! Sorry...had to vent.
And a rather fine vent it was.....

:clapping:

grasswhacker
07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Well after considering how this could be used in our business, I am thinking about running an ad for "Sam's Weight loss clinic". Limited number of openings (3) and let them mow my lawns (for free of course) while my wallet gets fat and I go on vacation. Just think how good they will feel about themselves while sheding the inches and pumping up their cardio vascular rate. No one under 300 lbs need apply, free water, winters off (to eat for next season).
I like it!

WJW Lawn
07-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Well after considering how this could be used in our business, I am thinking about running an ad for "Sam's Weight loss clinic". Limited number of openings (3) and let them mow my lawns (for free of course) while my wallet gets fat and I go on vacation. Just think how good they will feel about themselves while sheding the inches and pumping up their cardio vascular rate. No one under 300 lbs need apply, free water, winters off (to eat for next season).
I like it!

NOW THATS A PLAN!!! Im going to Jenny Craig TODAY and start recruiting!:usflag: