PDA

View Full Version : What will kill weed areas for a long time ?

REALSLOW
07-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I use roundup but I want something that kills for a long while along back areas and fences. I used to use permital but I believe it has been pulled ?

What else is good and ecologically safe. Thanks!

LawnTamer
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Mix a pre-emergent with your round-up, or apply snapshot after you use the round up, Snapshot is a great product, it contains treflan and galleria. I usually get 6-8 months control when I use it at the higher rate.

If you like Pramitol, you may want to look around, some vendors around hee still have it.

Team-Green L&L
07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Triox works for us.

Let-it-mow!
07-09-2006, 06:56 PM
primatol or spike kills everything for up to 5 years. Leaves the ground completely bare.

I like Surflan because it only prevents seed germination which means you can spray it to prevent weeds but it won't hurt anything that's growing there now. Shrubs, trees, even a garden won't be hurt but no weeds will crop up later. Can work up to one year.

Team-Green L&L
07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Can we use Surflan or Primatol to cure a weed infestation of a rock area that is on a drainage creek spilling onto a golf course near the neighborhood?

southernsprayguy
07-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I use roundup but I want something that kills for a long while along back areas and fences. I used to use permital but I believe it has been pulled ?

What else is good and ecologically safe. Thanks!
Use Saharaby BASF. You can get it from a Prosource One distributor.

nbizati
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I use a product with bromicil & 2, 4-D*newusflag*

hmartin
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1532noncropland.pdf

This link has about every bareground treatment.

ed2hess
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
HomeDepot sells a Round-up product that apparently has pre-m in it. It is expensive and can be identified by different packaging from the normal Round-up. I haven't tried it but was looking at it today.

DLS1
07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Is their anything that you can mix with these products that will turn the weeds to dust after the orignal product kills it. For my gravel driveway so it doesn't look like a bunch of dead grass/weeds laying on rock.

TurfProSTL
07-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Is their anything that you can mix with these products that will turn the weeds to dust after the orignal product kills it. For my gravel driveway so it doesn't look like a bunch of dead grass/weeds laying on rock.
Patience, Grasshopper.

RoundUp killed weeds eventually turn to dust.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....

Then, keep up on it!

6'7 330
07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
HomeDepot sells a Round-up product that apparently has pre-m in it. It is expensive and can be identified by different packaging from the normal Round-up. I haven't tried it but was looking at it today.

Round up extended control is what they christened it, supposed to keep weeds away up to four months.I spayed some on crabgrass around my air conditioner,as well as out by a ditch.Crabgrass was browning and wilting in 3 hours, rotting by the next day.

teeca
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
gas and a match, really. or hit them w/ a trimmer, pull them by hand.

MarcSmith
07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I have used Karmex and Diuron when I worked in florida. It was great for fence lines, drive ways, ect. It is a long term soil sterilant. AI is Diuron. But it will leach on hillsides and if you are took close to trees or shrubs.....bye bye.....

DLS1
07-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Patience, Grasshopper.

RoundUp killed weeds eventually turn to dust.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.....

Then, keep up on it!

Oh than you Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Roundup Master. I will try not to stray to the dark side of organic control and wipe out the weeds with table salt and pepper with a little Tabasco sauce for good measure.:laugh: :laugh:

americanlawn
07-12-2006, 10:56 PM
We use "Sahara", but you need to stay 20 feet away from tree roots, etc. Sahara stays in place and does not have the "run-off" probs that others do.

southernsprayguy
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1532noncropland.pdf

This link has about every bareground treatment.
Very useful. Thank you.

Chris Wagner
07-14-2006, 12:43 AM
http://www.amrep.com/misty/herbici2.htm

The only product I've had experience with is Repco Kill III. Bromacil & 2,4D. Great product.

However, be EXTREMELY careful around trees & bushes. In fact, I wouldn't recommend this in beds. But a gravel driveway or similar, no problem.