PDA

View Full Version : commercial lawn boy

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
i am looking at a commercial lawn boy that is about a 1994 model. It needs a rod and rings... How would that cost for the parts. The guy wants to sell the mower for $30 with out a bag? is that a good deal. He said the crank, carb and spark is good. No cracks in deck... Thanks LawnInOrder

ITL
07-09-2006, 02:07 PM
LawnInOrder

It depends if you can do the work yourself, have the time, and enjoy it then would likely be fine. You can check with your dealer for prices and even see what a short block would be. I would be a little concerned that the rod and crank are the only items needed. Is he seller or yourself good mechanics? 30 dollars is not a lot to spend on a project but remember that the parts to repair will be much more. Let that help you. Another option is finding a similar mower that has a good engine and use the two to make one complete, less expensive than parts. Sometimes we need to step back and refocus what business we are in. If you enjoy the repair and it will not take necessary time from your core business then have fun.

Wayne

Splicer
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
What engine is that??? Rebuilding the 'F' 2 stroke is SOOOOOO simple...the only parts involved are the crank, cylinder/block, piston, rings, connecting rod, needle bearings, couple (2) of seals and reeds...That is all that is to a 'F' 2 cycle shortblock...after that is the ignition (coil pack), carb, flywheel and muffler...it just doesnt get any simpler or more reliable than that...I rebuilt my 'F' in my Lawn Boy in my sig in about 2 1/2 hours...better tan new now IMHO...

Here is a link that should help you:
http://www.partsandservice.com/html/Lawnboy/Lawnmower/

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:07 PM
LawnInOrder

It depends if you can do the work yourself, have the time, and enjoy it then would likely be fine. You can check with your dealer for prices and even see what a short block would be. I would be a little concerned that the rod and crank are the only items needed. Is he seller or yourself good mechanics? 30 dollars is not a lot to spend on a project but remember that the parts to repair will be much more. Let that help you. Another option is finding a similar mower that has a good engine and use the two to make one complete, less expensive than parts. Sometimes we need to step back and refocus what business we are in. If you enjoy the repair and it will not take necessary time from your core business then have fun.

Wayne

thanks. My dad is a master auto mechanic and has been doing it for 35 years. I have picked up alot and rebuild engines. I am just concerned on the price, liek is it worth it to buy the parts. Maybe like you said pick up a enigne that runs. I mean a connecting rod and rings i figure would be 150+ like $30 for a bag. So a 180 machine plus the $30 i spent on the mahince. so like $210. I dunno if that is good. I will bring my dad along when i goo. Either way $30 for a good deck, tank, etc is worth it i think IMO. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:09 PM
What engine is that??? Rebuilding the 'F' 2 stroke is SOOOOOO simple...the only parts involved are the crank, cylinder/block, piston, rings, connecting rod, needle bearings, couple (2) of seals and reeds...That is all that is to a 'F' 2 cycle shortblock...after that is the ignition (coil pack), carb, flywheel and muffler...it just doesnt get any simpler or more reliable than that...I rebuilt my 'F' in my Lawn Boy in my sig in about 2 1/2 hours...better tan new now IMHO...

Here is a link that should help you:
http://www.partsandservice.com/html/Lawnboy/Lawnmower/
here is a link to the machine...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/hsh/179125565.html

I think it is in good condition. LawnInOrder

Splicer
07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Good condition and probably had straight gas run thru it...That is after Toro bought OMC out...You will need more work IMHO than it will be worth and that is IF the cylinder/block isn't too damaged from no lubrication...

You can get kits to rebuild the 'F' (I 'think' thats what motor that is...I do know it iS a 2 stroke tho) for under $30 + shipping on eBay...and the kits includes new rings, piston, wrist pin and seals/gaskets...IF the cylinder/block is OK and the crank isn't gouged, I would say go for it but running straight gas it's iffy at best...still the parts are worth $30 for sure...

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Good condition and probably had straight gas run thru it...That is after Toro bought OMC out...You will need more work IMHO than it will be worth and that is IF the cylinder/block isn't too damaged from no lubrication...

You can get kits to rebuild the 'F' (I 'think' thats what motor that is...I do know it iS a 2 stroke tho) for under $30 + shipping on eBay...and the kits includes new rings, piston, wrist pin and seals/gaskets...IF the cylinder/block is OK and the crank isn't gouged, I would say go for it but running straight gas it's iffy at best...still the parts are worth $30 for sure...

jsut a question: Why do you think he ran staright gas through it. lets say he did, what would i need to replace it or would i by a new motor. I i buy a new motor which one woudl you recommend. LawnInOrder

Splicer
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180004918987&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This may or may not be your short block...The mounting plate is what makes the difference between the steel deck and the aluminum deck. The point is to show you that the motors don't cost what you may think to replace...You really need the model # and use the first link I gave you to determine the engine type...