PDA

View Full Version : 5 accounts for $200

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 11:22 AM
well so far i have 15 weekly and 1 bi-weekly. To make a long story short my friend is selling 5 aaccounts. 4 of which are right next door to each other and 1 is near 2 of my other accounts. Do you think it is worth it. There are no contacts or anything. each house is $20 becasue they are smaller so it would take 2 weeks to make the $ up. I know all the people becasue i used to mow them with my fiend when we had a combined business. I figure it is a good deal. If i get them i can see why i am probably gunna spend $5k on a stander. Thanks LawnInOrder

Precision
07-09-2006, 11:51 AM
well so far i have 15 weekly and 1 bi-weekly. To make a long story short my friend is selling 5 aaccounts. 4 of which are right next door to each other and 1 is near 2 of my other accounts. Do you think it is worth it. There are no contacts or anything. each house is $20 becasue they are smaller so it would take 2 weeks to make the $ up. I know all the people becasue i used to mow them with my fiend when we had a combined business. I figure it is a good deal. If i get them i can see why i am probably gunna spend $5k on a stander. Thanks LawnInOrder

is there really any question. I mean it is only $200. My concern would be spending the $5k on the stander.

ProStreetCamaro
07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Thats about the right price. Most guys get 2 cuts worth out of each lawn when they sell them. As for the stander I wouldnt get something like that because you dont have enough accounts to justify the big purchase. You would be best suited with a nice 48" Walk Behind with a velky of some sort. I would look at Gravely, Toro, Exmark and bob-cat to name a few.

olderthandirt
07-09-2006, 12:10 PM
is there really any question. I mean it is only $200. My concern would be spending the $5k on the stander.

Can't say it any better!

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 12:13 PM
well i need a 36 machine. most of the properties have gates. I have had an exmark 36" viking with a hydro and sold it becasue i hated it. i got a hydro becasue everyone recommended it. I demoed a belt driven scag and loved it. The lawns are very small and no hills so the hydro didn;t really help. I think i might go with a scag 32" or 36" belt driven. how much do they run new. I rather buy used but i am using my lawnboy that isnlt even commerical right now. Thanks LawnInOrder

MTR
07-09-2006, 12:42 PM
well i need a 36 machine. most of the properties have gates. I have had an exmark 36" viking with a hydro and sold it becasue i hated it. i got a hydro becasue everyone recommended it. I demoed a belt driven scag and loved it. The lawns are very small and no hills so the hydro didn;t really help. I think i might go with a scag 32" or 36" belt driven. how much do they run new. I rather buy used but i am using my lawnboy that isnlt even commerical right now. Thanks LawnInOrder

You hate hydro viking and looking to buy a belt walk instead?
I think you are lying to us all. Tell me how you back out of trailer or back up in space any lawn you gonna cut. Hate Viking, trying to buy Stander? What is the diff...they both hydro! *newcanadaflag*

Quail Creek LC
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
$200. Heck I pull that in the first couple of hours working. Go for it.

jpp
07-09-2006, 02:29 PM

I agree with this statement. Why not buy a walk behind instead? With the accounts that you have you can do 5 a day and be fine. And on the other week that means you do 6 in day instead of 5.

JP

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 02:41 PM
You hate hydro viking and looking to buy a belt walk instead?
I think you are lying to us all. Tell me how you back out of trailer or back up in space any lawn you gonna cut. Hate Viking, trying to buy Stander? What is the diff...they both hydro! *newcanadaflag*

listen i bought the exmark from a guy named scaper27 on here that lives in huntington long island. u can ask him. I have a picture of my garage but you can only see the handles of the machine. I never took a picture of it. My friends has the scag that i demoed and loves it. I back up off the trailer with my muscles and a ramp. Remeber i am still young. Also i can do 5 a day becasuse during school i got football pratice from 3:30 -7:30ish and then a game on saturday so i can only cut on sunday. this is also why i am gettign a leaf loader to save time on fall clean-ups. I don't lye. ask scaper27. Just becasue i am 16 doesn't mean i lye. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
pictures of the exmark

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
another of the exmark

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
the garage is messy and has been repainted and has more shelfs. My other equipemnt isn't in the garage. It is in my gradnmother's garage that lives around the block.

jpp
07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I forgot about football on Saturdays for you. If you go with the scag you will be fine. I bought a 36 used for 1600 back in 99 and it still runs like a champ.

LawnInOrder
07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
yea i think i am goign with the scag... Coudl you see the pictures i posted?

jpp
07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Yep, can see the pictures.

dglyder97
07-10-2006, 01:07 AM
5 lawns for $200 is pretty good. before you spend the 5K for the stander, make sure you can justify the payments.

MTR
07-10-2006, 03:55 AM
You got Viking with pistol, that is why you hated it.
You should get ECS, it makes the world so diffferent.

MOW ED
07-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi buddy, looks like you gat yourself some stuff. My only concern for you is, as a firefighter for 21 years picture 12 concerns me a little. The battery charging next to the 2 gas cans ain't the best situation. The gas cans on the floor with the electric air compressor isn't the safest arrangement also.
Is it possible to store the cans outside or somewhere else where there isn't potential for a spark?
One last thing is your fire extinguisher is a little small and mounted in a difficult place to get at it. Get a bigger one and put it on the wall by the door about 3' up. I ain't being critical of you, you are doing well and I think that is very cool. I just want to let you know that potentially some bad things can happen and you may not have recognized that. Keep up the good work.

LawnInOrder
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi buddy, looks like you gat yourself some stuff. My only concern for you is, as a firefighter for 21 years picture 12 concerns me a little. The battery charging next to the 2 gas cans ain't the best situation. The gas cans on the floor with the electric air compressor isn't the safest arrangement also.
Is it possible to store the cans outside or somewhere else where there isn't potential for a spark?
One last thing is your fire extinguisher is a little small and mounted in a difficult place to get at it. Get a bigger one and put it on the wall by the door about 3' up. I ain't being critical of you, you are doing well and I think that is very cool. I just want to let you know that potentially some bad things can happen and you may not have recognized that. Keep up the good work.

You said everything my dad told me.lol.. Like i said we re did the garage. Also my dad did the say same thing about the battery, but It wasn't plugged in. I know that could have been bad. Also i nevera thought about the fire extinguisher. What size do you recommend because i do, do alot of welding and torching things. I really have to find some more wall space. All my equipment isn;t even in that garage. It was the winter time so i had the exmark and bunch of other things in it. MOW ED, thanks for the suggestions and i will try to make a storage container for them outside. Thanks LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
You got Viking with pistol, that is why you hated it.
You should get ECS, it makes the world so diffferent.
thanks for calling me a liar.. lol

well it was a 1997 for $550 so i bought it. It didn;t come with a catcher and i don;t mulch so i was going to buy a catcher. then i demoed my friends scag and fell in love. I put the machine up for sale and sold it. Now i have my Lawn-boy and looking for something bigger. Thanks LawnInOrder

MTR
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
thanks for calling me a liar.. lol

well it was a 1997 for $550 so i bought it. It didn;t come with a catcher and i don;t mulch so i was going to buy a catcher. then i demoed my friends scag and fell in love. I put the machine up for sale and sold it. Now i have my Lawn-boy and looking for something bigger. Thanks LawnInOrder

You will not fall in love with Scag belt walk as soon as you do 30-40 lawns a week for a living or whatever reason. Your body, especially legs, arms and hands will cry for mercy, mercy, exhaustion from heat and body sore continuously from operating belt walk and sweat will change your heart completely. I was dying 2 years ago in evening at home on bed after running 36" belt pistol Metro all day and every day...
good luck.

J&R Landscaping
07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
I think you'd be kinda stupid not to buy those 5 accounts based on there location nd the low asking price! JMO

LawnInOrder
07-10-2006, 03:40 PM
You will not fall in love with Scag belt walk as soon as you do 30-40 lawns a week for a living or whatever reason. Your body, especially legs, arms and hands will cry for mercy, mercy, exhaustion from heat and body sore continuously from operating belt walk and sweat will change your heart completely. I was dying 2 years ago in evening at home on bed after running 36" belt pistol Metro all day and every day...
good luck.

that is why i wanted to get a stander, for more productivity. I feel that the belt is better for my needs right now. I wish I could get a stander, but i can't afford it. Is anyone selling a scag/bobcat 32-36" walk behind on long island? If you are let me know. Thanks LawnInOrder

LawnBrother
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
JMO, but I use a 44" belt drive toro with a t-bar, and I think if you are looking to buy a belt drive you would really like the t-bar. Very easy on the hands. I do almost all inner city lots (small) and a 44" is a good all around size. It works well for small lawns, and all the way up to 2 acre lawns it is still a productive machine. I have seen good used ones for around $1500. If you haven't tried one you should, it may be the perfect machine for you.

jazak
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
A 36" Stander actualy costs $300 less then a 36" Hydro, floating deck walkbehind with sulky & catcher.
Plus I've seen some hardly used Standers go for as low as $3800 that were only 1 year old with like 100hr.s . And yes I would buy the accounts as long as they're not PITAs. Just my .02

LawnInOrder
07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
JMO, but I use a 44" belt drive toro with a t-bar, and I think if you are looking to buy a belt drive you would really like the t-bar. Very easy on the hands. I do almost all inner city lots (small) and a 44" is a good all around size. It works well for small lawns, and all the way up to 2 acre lawns it is still a productive machine. I have seen good used ones for around $1500. If you haven't tried one you should, it may be the perfect machine for you.

I will keep that in mind, but i need a 36 at biggest becasue of the gated properties i mow.

jazak: the aren;t PITA's the kid is just getting out and doing other lines of work. I want a stander if I could find one used with 100 hrs for $3000 would be great. LawnInOrder

jazak
07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
BTW a New 32" Stander goes for like $4800, new 36" Stander $5400. Used 32" 1 year old $low 3s, 36" 1 year old $high 3s - midrange 4s

paolaken
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
36" stander in delaware on ebay for $4,270.00

MOW ED
07-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I am impressed with your response to my post and I must say that I believe that you have been taught well by your parents.
I would recommend no smaller than a 10lb extinguisher but a 15 or 20 would be more appropriate especially if you are welding. The most important thing to remember is keeping your exit to your back when using the extinguisher. Make sure it is an ABC dry chemical extinguisher. I will post a link below and it is kinda neat to give you the basics of operation. Remember that a fire extinguisher is for witnessed beginning stage fires. The fire department is for all else and your life is not worth anything you have in the garage.
I don't want to be a preacher, I just want you to be safe. Once again I will say that it is refreshing to have a young man on this site that has his business in order. You will do well if you stay on this track. Take care.

http://www.fireextinguisher.com/

batdaddy044
07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
As a 20 year veteran firefighter myself , I will say to you ,MOW ED has provided you with some excellant advice on protecting your work area , given the hazards present. Invest in at least one of the largest of those fire extinguishers he specified . Consider keeping an extinguisher handy where ever you are providing service. Learn to properly use the extinguisher(s) that you have.A fire extinguisher may cost you a few dollars: a fire will likely cost you a LOT more!

mower_babe
07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
$200. Heck I pull that in the first couple of hours working. Go for it.

That was rude. He is just a kid. Remember WAAAAAAAYYYYYY back when, you were that young and full of energy too. :)