PDA

View Full Version : reasons to pad a pita estmate

Frontier-Lawn
07-09-2006, 01:30 PM
i got back from just doing a estimate for a lady. i was talking & walking the property with her. she wants me to each time i come spray down all equipment before i start with a bleach solution, with her watching to make sure i do it ;) :confused: . well at that point i wrote down a # 3x what i would charge her to do it. handed it to her and said call me if you decide and walked away. i did that not be rude to her and augured about it. she wont be calling me to do it now :laugh: any one else get nut jobs like this?

jpp
07-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I would be running from this lady as fast as I can.

mak2
07-09-2006, 01:44 PM
There is rarely enough money to cover a PITA.

Mudmower
07-09-2006, 01:50 PM
In Texas, if an Agriculture Agent from the state is watching, he could write you a very LARGE fine for NOT spraying your equipment between yards. It is a law here but rarely (if ever) enforced.

Jim

mak2
07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
In Indy when I took classes for the state pesticide license, the state expert said it is nearly imposslible to transfer disease from one yard to the other.

lawnboy dan
07-09-2006, 02:01 PM
i had one like that -she wanted to inspect my blade for sharpness too!

Kickin Your Grass
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
In Texas, if an Agriculture Agent from the state is watching, he could write you a very LARGE fine for NOT spraying your equipment between yards. It is a law here but rarely (if ever) enforced.

Jim

You have a link to where there is documentation of that.

Fantasy Lawns
07-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I can understand if she is worried of citrus canker .... but if you live in a quarantine .... it is the law .... an as already stated .... rarely enforced

But I would do the same as you did .... 2x maybe .... either way

topsites
07-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I been talking about that the whole year, you figured out a gold mine right there!

It's not just that they won't call you but it shuts them up so you can leave! Because there's absolutely no sense in messing with this, you've already wasted your time going out there, now the only thing left to do is get outta there! And if you give them a sky high price, it's over. And to be honest, I *LOVE* doing it somedays.

You're right it sounds mean, but I got to the point I feel what they're doing is downright mean, too... How can anyone honestly expect for me to hand wash my machine while they watch, are they for real or what??

There's a whole slew of worms you open with that can, but none of them come your way. The NEXT guy, if he's dumb enough to do it, stands a half a chance of having that lady telling him how the 'other' guy quoted her an outrageous price, and most of the time they'll even blab off the figure.

Yup, I did a butt-buster last year for 400 dollars and the pita told me the other guy quoted her 1,650!!! Now I had to admit that was ridiculous, but I remember thinking I should've quoted at least 600 as I busted my tail and that lady just called me again THIS year and you know I really wished I had charged her at least 600 because this time I never even went out to give the estimate.
So learn the easy way or do like me and learn the hard way lol.

topsites
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
i had one like that -she wanted to inspect my blade for sharpness too!

Well then stick your hand under that deck and don't get to crying when it slices your skin open, that's what I tell them when they say that, as I point to the idle machine. But I get tired of arguing with them over this stuff, I really do.

Mudmower
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Allen, check with an Ag Extension agent in your county. I believe it is located in the Pesticide application statutes. I will check to see if I can find it.

The agent approached me when I was mowing in a very wet, low area. He told me about the law, I in turn asked another agent, and he confirmed. Also said that the law was rarely enforced, but on the books in case of an outbreak of some sort. Brown Patch here in the Gulf Coast area is VERY EASY to move from yard to yard.

Jim

AAELI
07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Allen, check with an Ag Extension agent in your county. I believe it is located in the Pesticide application statutes. I will check to see if I can find it.

The agent approached me when I was mowing in a very wet, low area. He told me about the law, I in turn asked another agent, and he confirmed. Also said that the law was rarely enforced, but on the books in case of an outbreak of some sort. Brown Patch here in the Gulf Coast area is VERY EASY to move from yard to yard.

Jim

This same practice of treating equipment BEFORE going from one location another is also strongly urged for farmers who custom plow out here. It is to prevent the transmission of soil borne pathogens. When trimming plants we are urged to wipe the blades down between plants with bleach so as to prevent the transfer of pathogens carried in the sap of an infected plant to an uninfected one. After watching crops wither and die, $$$$$$, due to the carelessness of one individual you put new meaning to the practice.

If you are in a zone where you are susceptible to this then by all means start cleaning.

As for the thread subject: She ain't a pita if she is protecting her lawn and plants, just the opposite, you become the PITA if you fail to observe sound maintenace and plant health practices. By all means charge for the work.

SouthernYankee
07-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Jim

Mud, does that apply to the whole state including Houston?

I would be extremely surprised if they would enforce that here in Houston, I am about the only guy in the whole city to actually chain my Bobcat down to the trailer.

rodfather
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
i got back from just doing a estimate for a lady. i was talking & walking the property with her. she wants me to each time i come spray down all equipment before i start with a bleach solution, with her watching to make sure i do it ;) :confused: . well at that point i wrote down a # 3x what i would charge her to do it. handed it to her and said call me if you decide and walked away. i did that not be rude to her and augured about it. she wont be calling me to do it now :laugh: any one else get nut jobs like this?

if bobbygedd was still around, he would call that and add in a nuisance surcharge. :laugh:

lawnboy dan
07-09-2006, 06:53 PM
other riles this pita had- could not cut early in am when dew was on the grass(might cause a fungus) had to vary mowing pattern every time to avoid ruts in the lawn- had to wait 1 full day to mow if it rained. bag clippings every time.-dont blow clippings aginst front and garage door(might sand blast away the paint) all in all -a real pita!!!!!

cessnasovereign
07-09-2006, 06:55 PM
That's crazy. I really haven't had any crazy people yet but I no longer do the free estimate thing, I ask how large their property is, is it flat, does it have a fence, is it overgrown or many trees, then I give them a ballpark figure, like usually most yards around here are $35, so I say $35-45 and I'll be out there tomorrow with the equipment to do the initial mowing but if it will be more then I'll call them and let them know if it won't be within my estimate. And so far I've never had to call anyone for clearance to charge more. I like this method better than making a special trip to do an estimate, then having to come back with the equipment. I like to come to cut, not estimate then drive all the way back. I'm geting too busy for that..

cessnasovereign
07-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Oh and the reason why I said I give a ball park amount over the phone is, it weeds out alot of PITA customers who are looking for a neighborhood lawn boy for $20. And if I hear the word "cheapest" I just say "Sorry I don't service your area."

lawnmaniac883
07-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Its not so much the hassle of having to spray your equipment down with bleach as it is the fact that they wont pay you to add this practice to your routine. I dont spray my equipment down and never will unless a disease breaks out or something. Just blow off the mower and go which is probably more than some guys around here do. I see people all the time with grass piled on top of their decks while the mowers are on the trailer. Unbelievable.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Jim

Im not trying to be sarcastic but in Va you cant spray anything unless you are on your own property with out being a certified applicator. How does that work in Texas? does everyone that is cutting grass have/ or suppose to be certified to spray?

wayne

Frontier-Lawn
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
she wanted the whole mower, edger, & trimmer sprayed top to bottom .

AAELI
07-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Its not so much the hassle of having to spray your equipment down with bleach as it is the fact that they wont pay you to add this practice to your routine. I dont spray my equipment down and never will unless a disease breaks out or something. Just blow off the mower and go which is probably more than some guys around here do. I see people all the time with grass piled on top of their decks while the mowers are on the trailer. Unbelievable.

It will only take one occurance of disease transmission to be traced to you to completely change your outlook on life. It is far better and cheaper to prevent problems than to resolve them later. If you have not worked this practice into your pricing it would be wise to do so. That is of course if it is required where you are as it is in some localities.

I do not care what the others around me do or not do when it comes to sound grounds maintenance practices. Just because someone else is ignorant or rebelious does not justify my being like them.. The soil particles on your decks will carry any soil bourne pathogen whether you see them or not.

If your area does not require such practices then do not worry about it. But don't tell others to do as you do when they may very well be breaking laws in their area if they do so.

topsites
07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Oh and the reason why I said I give a ball park amount over the phone is, it weeds out alot of PITA customers who are looking for a neighborhood lawn boy for $20. And if I hear the word "cheapest" I just say "Sorry I don't service your area."

LOL I'm with you on the last part, watch out for the word 'reasonable' as well.

/////////////

As for the transmission of diseases, here I see farmers arguing about the transmission of disease between crops... I feel as Lco's who operate lawn mowers and not 100,000+ dollar threshers we're not dealing with something that will be eaten later. If there exists a law concerning this, I believe this law would deal mostly with that which presents a health risk to humans and animals. No doubt there may be a lawn malady or two that might encompass this, but as a general rule most of us don't eat grass and I really think the grass cutters are safe in assuming we're mostly exempt, as this is by far the most outlandish thing I've ever heard... Thou I've had a customer or two who insisted on a full lawn mower pressure washing before as well.

If you're that crazy about your lawn, I don't want you as my customer. In most cases it's just like the thread starter said, it's not just the washing part, it's this bit about this and that and the other and oh yeah we'd like our lawn cut at the exact height of 3.561715173545679 inches and they will break out a ruler on you while you're cutting and measure blades of grass while squinting their eyes and man, you're better off without this kind of customer.

dcplace2004
07-10-2006, 02:03 AM
or even better, straight bleach...sometimes I wish that asteroid had never hit the earth killing the dinosaurs...the new inhabitants after that event are about as stupid as they come...

AAELI
07-10-2006, 05:06 AM
LOL I'm with you on the last part, watch out for the word 'reasonable' as well.

/////////////

As for the transmission of diseases, here I see farmers arguing about the transmission of disease between crops... I feel as Lco's who operate lawn mowers and not 100,000+ dollar threshers we're not dealing with something that will be eaten later. If there exists a law concerning this, I believe this law would deal mostly with that which presents a health risk to humans and animals. No doubt there may be a lawn malady or two that might encompass this, but as a general rule most of us don't eat grass and I really think the grass cutters are safe in assuming we're mostly exempt, as this is by far the most outlandish thing I've ever heard... Thou I've had a customer or two who insisted on a full lawn mower pressure washing before as well.

If you're that crazy about your lawn, I don't want you as my customer. In most cases it's just like the thread starter said, it's not just the washing part, it's this bit about this and that and the other and oh yeah we'd like our lawn cut at the exact height of 3.561715173545679 inches and they will break out a ruler on you while you're cutting and measure blades of grass while squinting their eyes and man, you're better off without this kind of customer.

So... grass is not a crop? Where did I go wrong, ma?? It would seem topsites that you have problems with most anyone who questions you or your jobsite performance. How many lawns do you actually keep for more than one time mowing with that attitude??

Cut one lawn near a golf resort where you are the culprit for disease transmission, lawn or ornamental diseases, and sing the same song. "Hey, ya don't eat the stuff do ya?":hammerhead:

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 05:22 AM
When i am driving to Western Australia from South Australia i have to pull my floor mat out and shake any dirt out ,also clean the bottom of my shoes the border people say the wrong soil could cost farmers millions.

There was a bloke the other day here in Perth that has a problem with fungus in his Buffaloe lawns (all of them about 50) funny hardly anybody else is having a problem i often wonder if maybe he helped spread it him self ???
( remembering that we use cylinder mowers here, the bottom blade is always in contact with the ground)

*aussieflag*

p.s some people use washing the mower between lawns as a selling point here, claiming it stops the spread of weeds and disease.