PDA

View Full Version : Downeaster dump inserts and dump trailers

mcwlandscaping
07-09-2006, 04:46 PM
for those who have, have had, or have used either a downeaster dump insert or dump trailer, can you give some opinion on them, my next option and most promising one for a truck is a slightly used 2500HD (havn't found one yet) and ide like to put a dump insert in it and this seems to be the brand i can get around me and the dealer for them is awsome too. any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
mike

ALarsh
07-10-2006, 01:18 AM
Slightly used, like how new?

Have you thought about a bed insert and using shovels? I know its nice to be able to dump, but I think at the level that you are working at it would be best to use shovels, especially since you are using the truck for personal also (extra weight in back affecting ride & gas mileage). Dump inserts make the sweet looking 2000-2006 Chevys look like poop.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
it would be brand new, i personally think that they look awsome back there but thats just me. landscaping has grown significantly over the past year, mulch more than anything and having to rely on someone else to deliver isn't always fun and shoveling out of the back of the truck isn't fun either. And for fall, ill build a leaf box on it and hook a leaf loader on there since with school, reg. mowing and the tons and tons of cleanups i get backed up BIG TIME.

lwcmattlifter
07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I seriously considered downeaster when I was shopping for a dump insert. They look like well built products. The only problem I ran into was shipping, it made the cost of the bed about 1000 more than what I could get locally. Otherwise I would have bought one but I went with Bri-Mar instead. Like Alarsh said. Don't put a dumper in a personal truck and unless you are going to use if frequently consider looking at other options.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 02:46 PM
just got price quote on the downeaster- $2645 for the 8ft steel version with cab protector and tarp roller all installed for that price.

cet
07-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I would consider an alluminium one. It will be lighter which will allow for more material and it will new for many years. My steel dump box on my 1999 looks like crap and we have spent many hours and money painting it to keep it looking good. If you plan on using it for salting in the winter then alluminium is the way to go.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I had the same situation this summer and ended up with a dump trailer instead.
pros- haul more weight or product, can leave it on a job site if needed

cons- cant take 2 trailers with you at 1 time, extra tires and liscense fee's

I still liked the idea of the dump trailer best and thats what i went with, most of my mulch installs are 6 yards or more and I needed the extra capacity

wayne

lwcmattlifter
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
I can only get 4 yards of mulch in my dump insert, 5 is over loading it. I really like the insert because you can place the wheel barrow under the raised dump and have the barrow loaded in 10 seconds.

tthomass
07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
i've got a DownEaster (how the heck did they come up with that name???) dump trailer...............6x10 and 10,000 GW

built solid, no issues............i'm just in the process of running a power wire from the truck to charge the trailers battery and operates the pump/dump

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I can only get 4 yards of mulch in my dump insert, 5 is over loading it. I really like the insert because you can place the wheel barrow under the raised dump and have the barrow loaded in 10 seconds.
I totally agree and will deffinatly benefit greatly from that feature!!! most of my jobs are 3 yards tops and when i need more than four i can fit another 3 (even though thats pushing it) in my 5*8 w/ the sides on it

pgoulding
07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
i've got a DownEaster (how the heck did they come up with that name???)

The only reason that i can think of is this and i may be wrong. But are DownEaster the ones that are built in Maine? Because they are it could be playing of the noreaster storms that we get in the winter. Maybe i am right maybe i am wrong just my .02 for the answer to that question.

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2006, 12:05 AM
i've got a DownEaster (how the heck did they come up with that name???) dump trailer...............6x10 and 10,000 GW

built solid, no issues............i'm just in the process of running a power wire from the truck to charge the trailers battery and operates the pump/dump
ive wondered the same thing about that name!!!haha

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2006, 12:06 AM
The only reason that i can think of is this and i may be wrong. But are DownEaster the ones that are built in Maine? Because they are it could be playing of the noreaster storms that we get in the winter. Maybe i am right maybe i am wrong just my .02 for the answer to that question.
PGoulding, i agree with your theory, it makes a lot of sense!!

Ron's Lawncare
07-11-2006, 06:59 PM
if ypu are in Nashua check out REP enterprises in Greenland they sell the ez dumper brand. much better quality than the downeaster brand. they also raise slightly higher than the downeaster inserts do.

Ron

tthomass
07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
just a thought.........think of how many dump inserts you see.......not many, MAYBE there is a reason??? vs trailer or real dump truck

NEUSWEDE
07-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I have a 2006 Downeaster Insert great unit, bigger tailgate than the rest that comes all the way up. I got mine from the factory Costal Metal Fab. Great unit saves a ton of time. I have put 3 tons in many times. If you do decide on it get Timbrens for the truck so you can load it full.

As far as dump trailersI have a BriMar 6x10 great unit and has it's place but not ideal unless you have a task for it you can use a lot like mulching. My dump trailer I am currently trying to sell.

As far as the name Downeaster I think it has to do with Maine having part of the state called "Downeast"

keepoffthegrass
07-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I just purchased a loadhandler and it works AWSOME for the price. price wise, for under 200 it beats an insert anyday. It installs and comes off in seconds and it works like a charm. Have unloaded over 10 loads in the last 2 days and my back is 100% still. have unloaded mulch, debris, clippings, 2 yrds of topsoil at a time.. 1 yrd of gravel... all in a shortbox truck. I love this product so much i started up a business www.TruckinAccessories.com you can check em out there. :weightlifter:

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I got the HD version of the Load Handler off ebay for $136 Delivered...I just unloaded 3000# of top soil yesterday morning in about 30 seconds. It was maxed out but it worked great.... I have done 2 yards of mulch no problem....I could easily do 4 if I could get it on there....

D

keepoffthegrass
07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I got the HD version of the Load Handler off ebay for $136 Delivered...I just unloaded 3000# of top soil yesterday morning in about 30 seconds. It was maxed out but it worked great.... I have done 2 yards of mulch no problem....I could easily do 4 if I could get it on there....

D
I noticed the same thing.. with 2 yards unless your using boards you get locked up in front of the wheel wells. everything else is sinch.

jsecape
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Made in Maine i think...