PDA

View Full Version : Mower for 1/2+ acre

gheedunk
07-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I moved from a 0.06 acre fescue to a .58 acre bermuda, and my Honda 21" does not have the power to do the job. I need to upgrade to a more powerful mower, but I am at a loss to which deck size I need. A 36" cut would save a lot of time, but garage space is an issue as well, and from spec sheets, the 36" is always longer than the 48" (for stability I surmise).

I used to run with a crew that had Exmark 36" and 48" Metros, and I am seriously looking at that brand because of past experience. However, the Husqvarna/Toro dealer is on my way to work, and the Husqvarna WB (36 and 48) are 4-500 in^2 smaller than the Metros and 3-400 in^2 smaller than the Toros. The Toro also has a 40" option which would be a comprimise of cutting width and garage space. Any mower I buy will have a Kawasaki twin, belt drive, fixed deck, and ECS/T-Bar, so four less variables.

Since I thought I could get away with a 5.5HP 21" on my lawn, I obviously was not expecting to purchase a mower, and so financing options have become a strong selling point. Toro has none to my knowledge, Exmark has no payments no interest for 9 months, and Husqvarna has no payments, no interest for 12 months.

So, bottom line is that I need some advise from professionals as to:

1) 36", 40", or 48" deck for a .58 acre bermuda?
2) Toro, Exmark, or Husqvarna (from a strict product reliability, quality of cut standpoint)
3a) How likely will the dealer be to haggle if he knows I will finance?
3b) How likely will the dealer drop the selling price enough to beat the financing?
4) Which brand (and/or deck size) will I be more likely to get a deal?

Thanks in advance!!

--Ghee

hmartin
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Lots of people love Exmark. It could not be over 10 minutes difference in cutting your lawn with any of these decks. Save some money and get the 36.

EMWEB
07-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Get a SCAG Turf Tiger with 52" deck. . . . Through in no time . . .

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Get a SCAG Turf Tiger with 52" deck. . . . Through in no time . . .

Complete overkill. I would go with a toro T-Bar 36'' with a sulky. The T-Bar is really great and ECS is only available on hydro models I believe. Wouldnt want ECS on a belt drive anyway, too much pressure on your thumbs.

DJL50
07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
FYI Toro and Exmark are the same company. When looking at ZTR's the Toro had better specks and cost a little less.
I purchased a Toro 3 weeks ago and got 0% till next year. It's all up to the dealer.

Lumberjack
07-11-2006, 09:58 AM
if its a fairly level and smooth lot take a look over at the gravely @ home 34" model. Its a good mower but slips a lot on slopes.

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
check out the better outdoor products quick 36, i don't think there is financing available, but it has a really solid reputation

TAZ
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I'll second the Q36. it's about as short as a 21" push mower, costs less, hydro and more than enough power for what I need anyway.

-TAZ

BUCKEYE MOWING
07-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I am on board with the 36 ...it is a great machine............esp. for the price

gheedunk
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am intrigued with the Quick 36, I hadn't even heard of it.

I'll be visiting the eXmark dealer tomorrow to take a look and talk price on a Metro 36. I'll likely make a decision in the next two weeks.

I REALLY like the small size of the Quick, but why is it so much shorter than the leading comm 36? Also, is a single hydro closer to belt drive as far as maneuverability or wheel hydro.

For those who own Quick 36, how different are the controls than traditional pistols or ECS? From the pics they look like bicycle handlebars with caliper brake handles; pretty flimsy looking.

Thanks!

TAZ
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am intrigued with the Quick 36, I hadn't even heard of it.

I'll be visiting the eXmark dealer tomorrow to take a look and talk price on a Metro 36. I'll likely make a decision in the next two weeks.

I REALLY like the small size of the Quick, but why is it so much shorter than the leading comm 36? Also, is a single hydro closer to belt drive as far as maneuverability or wheel hydro.

For those who own Quick 36, how different are the controls than traditional pistols or ECS? From the pics they look like bicycle handlebars with caliper brake handles; pretty flimsy looking.

Thanks!

It's shorter because it has a 3 blade deck instead of the 2 blade design that most of the other comercial companies use.

The Q36 has a diffential in the drivetrain. What that means is in a turning situation the outside wheel is the only one with power to it. The inside one can either just sit there and pivot as it has no power or by pulling back slightly on the inside handgrip you can get the inside wheel to back up. It's no problem to zero turn it and I can get around in allot of tight spaces easily with instant reverse. The unit is light and with the short wheelbase it's not hard at all to manuver.

The controlls are not flimsy at all. Traditional pistolgrips. Certainly not as nice and comfy as the ECS. They are a little different than most controls in that you squeeze them to increase speed where as in the case for the ESC levers you release them to increase speed and pull back to stop and in the ECS's case when on a hydro mower if you continue to pull back you enter into reverse. On the Q you have a thumb lever that you use for reverse. The only problem there is if you use it allot it takes a bit to get used to on your thumb.

I am not trying to talk you out of another mower. I litterally live 1/8 mile from a large very motivated Exmark dealer and demoded the metro 36 before buying the Q36 along with Scag and Ferris. Storage space, cost and manuverabilty were what sold me on the Q36. If you have the space where you don't have to back up allot and since your a home owner and probably won't cut in the rain the belt propulsion system may not bother you.

Exmark was running a promo on the metro with the 15hp kohler on it. It was pretty damn good deal.

-TAZ

gheedunk
07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
in a turning situation the outside wheel is the only one with power to it. The inside one can either just sit there and pivot as it has no power or by pulling back slightly on the inside handgrip you can get the inside wheel to back up. It's no problem to zero turn it and I can get around in allot of tight spaces easily with instant reverse.

-TAZ

I am still confused as to how to turn the thing using one grip. Other than the 21" push i've got, the only other WB I have driven was a Metro. Easy enough, Right turn: right grip in to neutral position, pull back right side and let the left grip come around. I'm trying to imagine doing the same thing on the Q36, and I just can't. Any help?

Thanks!

TAZ
07-13-2006, 06:54 AM
I am still confused as to how to turn the thing using one grip. Other than the 21" push i've got, the only other WB I have driven was a Metro. Easy enough, Right turn: right grip in to neutral position, pull back right side and let the left grip come around. I'm trying to imagine doing the same thing on the Q36, and I just can't. Any help?

Thanks!

The short answer......... you muscle it..... it's allot easier than you would think though. Do a search on here. There are guys on here that have reviewed them as well as quite a few that own them. Not many complaints.

-TAZ

TAZ
07-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I guess the best way to decribe it is to watch the demo......
http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=VideoQuick36Demo%5FH%2Ehtm