PDA

View Full Version : Help needed kubota kx 161

longines
07-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi i am aguy from Norway and i was thinking of buying a kubota kx 161 2000mod with steel belt and 2000 hours.

What should i look for when am buying and is this a good machine

sorry :dizzy: for this bad English

Dirty Water
07-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the board :)

Squizzy here has one, so do a few other guys. From what I here they are great machines.

I've had a chance to sit in a buddys and I'll tell you the cab is cramped. I also dislike foot thumb controls compared to the CASE I run.

Also the foot pedals for travel controls are these goofy little rocker things, and they are totally useless.

As far as reliability after 2,000 hours, I can't speak on that but i'm sure the other guys have. I believe Gravel Rat used to operate a steel tracked 161 with high hours.

Gravel Rat
07-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I guess in Norway its hard to get machines there myself I don't know if I would buy a mini with 2000 hours on it. Most of the time mini excavators see more abuse than bigger machines.

Kubota 161s with steel tracks are good its like any excavator with steel tracks they wear out and need replacing.

Yes 161s have their quirks like the horible foot pedals on the travel sticks. As for cramped cabs the 161 is about the same size as the Bobcat machines I have ran.

If you can afford it try buy new then you know what you got.

Squizzy246B
07-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Just come in from a full day with the rock breaker and ripping up a big mess of concrete. The foot travel pedals and the standard seat suck. Our machine now has over 3000hrs and we have replaced an alternator belt...thats it. There is an annoying rattle in the cab somewhere that defys us. Apart from that it has been a very very good machine.

I strongly suspect that Kubota sets the hydraulics conservatively on these machines so they acheive good reliability. I know some guys have not been happy with them and boosted them up. Time and time again we do work in small areas that have really needed a bigger machine and been amazed at what we can acheive by working steady steady and using your noggin.

The only REAL thing I'd like to see them have on the new models is a bit more grunt to the track motors for pushing. Most of the maintenance access is pretty good...like all mini's there is always some spots that are tight. We over maintain our machine a bit..particularly with grease and oil changes.

Its a solid reliable machine in our experience.

Good Luck

Squizzy246B
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Longines: Almost with any mini...check around the stick/boom around the knuckle at the hitch and around the main pin at the excavator end. Some of the smaller Kubotas where prone to cracking in this area (ie at both extremities of the stick) but I have never seen/heard of it on a 161. Also, check the bearings in the top roller/idler for the tracks. These will be noisy when you lift a track off the ground and run that track. I have seen a couple of hard worked 121's require new bearing after 2000 hrs.