PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running SVO?

MOturkey
07-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone is running SVO (straight vegetable oil) in their Diesel mower? My stepson was telling me today about using it in several different pieces of equipment. Once filtered, it can be used interchangeably with Diesel fuel with no modification to the engine. Cold weather is an issue, but under the conditions most mowing is done, I doubt it would be a problem.

I know many of you service fast food and other restaurants, a ready supply of usually free used oil. Filters and filter systems are available commercially, or you handyman types could likely make one yourself.

The dual tanks on most mowers is an ideal situation, simply fill one with Diesel, the other with veggie. Start up with Diesel, if it is cool, then switch over as things warm up.

I've been considering a Diesel for my next mower purchase, whenever that is, and this option makes it much more attractive.

lawnmaniac883
07-09-2006, 09:02 PM
SVO is new, fresh oil from a jug. You are talking about WVO -- waste vegetable oil. This stuff is nasty and really is not too good for your mowers unless it is refined. Usually WVO contains lots of glycerin and other contaminants.

MOturkey
07-09-2006, 10:30 PM
I think there is probably a lot of misinformation regarding the use of vegetable oil, fresh or waste. Here is the link to a couple of websites so you guys can decide for yourself. I'm not pretending to be an expert on this, I only know what my stepson told me, and they are using up to 1200 gallons a month in various pieces of equipment. He, coincidentally, is going into the fast-food business, and is planning on converting his Dodge Ram 2500 over, and trading in his Deere ZTR with a gas engine for a Diesel so he can utilize used oil from his restaurants.

Sorry, I couldn't find how to make these clickable links.
greasel.com and greasecar.com. Read and decide for yourselves.

Grassmechanic
07-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Restaurants are on to the demand for their used oil. Most are now SELLING it. McDonalds has a company that comes out and "cleans" their oil so that they can get more use out of it before they have to replace it, at least around here. The days of free, used veggie oil are coming to an end.

LawnBrother
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Restaurants are on to the demand for their used oil. Most are now SELLING it. McDonalds has a company that comes out and "cleans" their oil so that they can get more use out of it before they have to replace it, at least around here. The days of free, used veggie oil are coming to an end.
Even so, bulk svo is still cheaper than diesel and requires no refining. I am also very interested to know if anyone is using veggie oil in their mowers' diesels. Anybody?