PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a new hedge trimmer

arogant
07-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I would like some help choosing a new hedge trimmer. I will be trimming about 40 medium (boxwoods and dogwoods) in my yard and about the same at my foks house. I will only use these things 4 times a years for 2-3 hours at a time. I just want a good quality machine that will start when needed (i will be storing it more than using) and will not require high maintenance. I have 2 local dealers that I trust and use but both have different suggestions.

Dealer 1 - he is pushing the ECHO 150 model, he said it has new blades this year and heavier gearbox now - $269.00

Dealer 2 - he says Kawasaki KHT600S is by far the better machine - 259.00

Both machines feel nice and both are at a good price point - is there a clear winner hear. I would just like to have a good machine that will cut nice and clean and last 5 + years.

Thanks,

ed2hess
07-09-2006, 09:06 PM
The Echo 150 will be just fine, we have 3 of them and all of them are used heavy duty with practically no problems. The Echo has carb adjustments that is helpful as the unit wears in....don't know about the other brand. Weight is very very important..!!

TriCountyLawn
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Ditto- The Echo would be a fine choice

pgoulding
07-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I would do a search on here before you go out and but the echo. Im not saying you guys are wrong because i own neither but there have been posts about how good kawasaki handhelds are.

firefightergw
07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I've had a Kawasaki hedge trimmer that I bought new since last year. I don't have it with me (it's at home and I am at the Fire Station) but I think it is a 650 or 700. I've never used a Echo hedge trimmer but all my trimmers and blowers are Echo. I like all my Echo equipment but that Kawasaki hedge trimmer is a beast. I have ran that thing into the ground and it still starts first pull every time. It will easily cut branches as big as your thumb and I have never had the blade sharpened. You buy the Kawasaki and when you use that thing you will never have one regret. AWESOME piece of equipment that I would defineately buy again.

newz7151
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I've had a Kawasaki hedge trimmer that I bought new since last year.

Hey firfightergw, what part of TX are you in that you are running the Kawi's in?

arogant
07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I went to my local guy again today to purchase and he was out of the Kawasaki and also showed me a new Tanaka (210S) that he just got in. It has more features (rotating handle, 26" blade, and anti-vibration) than the basic Kawasaki but was priced at $299.00. This is the first time I have seen the Tanaka - is it a good machine and a good price?

Thanks Again

Chuck

firefightergw
07-12-2006, 11:04 PM
He's out of the Kawasaki for a reason.

iluvscag
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Stihl HS 45 enough said.

arogant
07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Well I found a dealer across town that stocks Kaws, Tanaka, Echo, Redmax, and Shindawia. I was able to touch, start, run, and test cut all of them. I was looking for my best bang for the buck (I will only using them on 2 houses - home owner). It came down to the new Tanaka 210S and the Kaw 600D - both have the rotating handle. I decided that the rotating handle was well worth the $30-50 after running the tool at chest height. The price was the same for the Tanaka or the Kaw 600D ($299.00 - great price). The Tanaka was 1lb lighter, but the Kaw has more power, 1.3 vs. 1.1, the Kaw started on the first pull every time, ran smoother, and replacement parts for the Tanaka are very expensive.
I purchased the Kaw 600D for 299.00 +tax and am very satisfied. I can say that after doing research, test running them all, asking opinions from the pros on this website and my experience as a tooling engineer for one of the auto industries OEMs it was a very close call. I think that all of the machines as quality and with good dealer support all would be a fine choice. Thanks for the feed back.

lawnmaniac883
07-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Thats a shame, and to think ya coulda had a stihl HS-80 for 50 bucks more.

dfischer
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
;)
hm.. what a classy comment. I know I would sure want sombody to chime in AFTER I'd made my decision and tell me how wrong I was. :hammerhead:

Gee, if only he'd thought to ask for advise before he bought....:sleeping:

AR:

Enjoy the new machine. Seems like you made an informed and careful decision.

Tanaka
07-14-2006, 01:06 AM
I'll just pretend you bought the THT-210S. :dancing:

Thanks for your insights!

-MW

rorr1821
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I just placed an order for two Tanaka THT-210S. These units cost $300 each and no sales tax. I researched on the internet and talked to some of the local repair people to get an idea of reliability. The feedback was positive for the Echo, Stihl, and Tanaka from the repair perspective. The Stihl has the best parts availability. The one comment on Echo was that this company was under going some changes. Not sure what that means. What impressed me about the Tanaka and Echo is the warranty for commercial use. The Tanaka has a seven year homeowner warranty. That is very impressive. The one repair comment about Tanaka was they have great engines. The downside for me in purchasing Tanaka is that I do not have a local repair facility, but I repair my own stuff anyway unless it is warranty. Just some thoughts.

jkearnan
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I have had a Tanaka THT (not sure on model #) for a number of years now and I have no complaints. Great machine, runs awesome even after being in storage, cuts like a champ, etc...

It sounds like a number of these unit would fit what you were after. Doing what you did, trying each side by side, etc... is exactly the approach folks should take. As a pretty analytical person it's what works for me!

Congrats on your purchase.