PDA

View Full Version : Gravely owners who have a mulch kit - What blades do you run?

jtkplc
07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm running a 260Z and Pro-H 36" walk-behind with mulch kits installed with the wavy mulch blades that came with the kit.

My only problem with them is that I'm not getting enough lift from the blades. What blades do you guys run on your Gravelys?

I'm thinking about trying some regular high lift blades, but the Gator Magnums I began the season with were leaving stripes of uncut grass in between the mower blades so I'm reluctant to try any other blades.

Can anyone offer some advise, thanks in advance? :usflag:

DJ Contracting
07-09-2006, 09:28 PM
When my two machines (Gravely) have the mulch kits I just use the one that came with the kit I have not tried anything else.

twwlawn
07-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Same here, when I got my mulch kit, I used the blades that came with it. I took the mulch kit off last year, I side discharge only and doing that I can mow at a faster rate.

Dashunde
07-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Same here, when I got my mulch kit, I used the blades that came with it. I took the mulch kit off last year, I side discharge only and doing that I can mow at a faster rate.

I've done the same thing, but added a chute blocker to keep stuff out of the mulch. I didnt care much for the slowmow either.

When I was running the mulch kit I used the wavey ones but ran them as doubles. It worked pretty good and the lift did improve.

SWD
07-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I run the standard Gravely high lift blade over the stock, stepped mulching blade.
This set up does generate a fair amount of lift over stock so be careful operating near sandy/loose soil conditions.
However, it really does work well with the mulch kit. Blow out is minimal on turf.
Just remember you are now cutting .210" lower than before.

LawnGuy73
07-10-2006, 08:38 AM
The blades that came with the kit.

dwost
07-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I've tried several combos and agree the Gravely wavey mulch blade over the stock notched hi-lift give the best results. I've also had good luck with just the stock mulchers. I've also tried just the notched hi-lifts solo and a set of Exmark mulchers. They all performed well but I think the added lift from the doubles makes the kit more effective.

coyotekid
07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Has anyone tried running doubles without either set being the "wavy" mulch blades?

I'm trying to get away from the "wavy" blades since they're a pain to sharpen, but I'm afraid I won't get the same quality cut...

dwost
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I have, I actually have two sets of mulchers; the ones that came with the kit (wavy) and a set of aftermarket gators (actually raptors I think) that are straight. Quality of cut is the same with either set up.

Now that I'm running the solid foil Exmark hi-lifts, I'm going to give them a shot with a set of gators on top to see if there is any difference.

jim163
07-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Is your deck scraped clean and blades sharp? I scrape the bottom of my deck as much as possible-even on the road. I just started using a set of universal high lift blades on my 260z and im lovin it. It shoots the grass out much farther and theres less of it. I do recommend.

jtkplc
07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Since posting this thread I have experimented with several different blade configurations and the wavy mulch blades are the only blade that delivers a great cut and fast mulching process.

Notched high lifts gave a terrible cut and kept the cut grass above the blades too long, it wouldn't let the clippings go into the ground. You could hear the engine bogging down more than it should and hear the grass just going around and around under the deck.

Gators left a streak of uncut grass inbetween each mower blade and low lift blades just left a bad cut.

I did order some replacement wavy mulch blades and they have a higher angle to the lift part of the blade and that seems to have helped with the lack of lift I was getting from the wavy mulch blades that came with the mulch kits.

Putting mulch kits on my equipment I knew would be an experiment. I need to demo a few different brands of mowers so see how my Gravelys compare though, otherwise I'm very happy with the mulch kits, but wish I could maintain a little faster ground speeds, which I'm thinking that's just something that comes along with mulching.

coyotekid
07-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't seem to find the "wavy" Gravely mulch blades from an aftermarket supplier.

I'm running a 252Z...any ideas on where to get them other than the dealer?

jtkplc
07-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I can't seem to find the "wavy" Gravely mulch blades from an aftermarket supplier.

I'm running a 252Z...any ideas on where to get them other than the dealer?

I just ordered replacement blades from 'expressmowerparts.com' and they were listed as the Exmark wavy mulch blade, but will fit Gravely.

dwost
07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Have your dealer look in the Stens book, they may have an aftermarket option or just order a set of the eXmarks.

Don