PDA

View Full Version : Huge cleanup?

Idealtim
07-09-2006, 11:52 PM
How many of you have recieved calls of absurd amounts of debris on their sidewalks/porches/driveways? I got a call yesterday about me leaving grass clippings all over her back step. It's understandable I thought, I must of missed it with the blower. I get there, check out the step with the blower on my back and thought, oh, she must of cleaned it before I got here. There must of been 3 strands of grass and 2 leaves left on it[leaves from the 90 foot maple overhanging the house]. Just then she gets to the door and said ''It's not a lot, but you missed it.'' And i said, ''What did I miss, it's clean.'' Then she said ''this step, it's right here theres grass all over it.'' With no delay, I started the blower and blew it clean before I could turn the choke off. She thanked me and I left with my head spinning. This is not the first time with this customer. She is sort of old, a nice person and always pays on time, but this is rediculous. Has this happened to anyone else?

mulcahy mowing
07-09-2006, 11:56 PM
she's old she probably just wanted someone to talk to.

wski4fun
07-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Charge her an extra fifty on the fall clean up and raise her price five bucks per cut next year.

barcode148
07-10-2006, 12:01 AM
i had it happen to me 2 weeks ago. it was a new account where i had been making sure every week that i cleaned everything up. i called to check on the service and she said that the only thing she and her husband had a problem with was that i had left debris everywhere. i guess the only thing that you can do is be pleasant and appologetic if you want to keep the account.

Idealtim
07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
she's old she probably just wanted someone to talk to.
Thats it exactly.

TurfProSTL
07-10-2006, 12:46 AM
If you KNOW you left it clean because you always clean up afterward, tell them you will get it next time and politely hang up.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 01:17 AM
take one more minute from now on and check all walks afterwards, thatll save you gas and time...but i agree, old people just want someone to tlak to, they get lonely

topsites
07-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm with the general consensus, lol, I call this 'hand holding,' it can be frustrating but so long they don't do it all the time, you gotta give them some rope. This one can make you mad but remember this customer and know she will do this, meaning:

- Take that extra minute and do it right the first time, just for this one. This will help you increase quality, nothing wrong with that.
- You might see about increasing the service by $5 next year but I wouldn't push it, still sounds like a good customer by a mile.
- If she calls again, you will know it's just a little bs so like TurfPro said, just tell them you've taken note of it and you will get it next time.

steve122
07-10-2006, 07:58 AM
That is exactly the kind of thing that keeps me from doing residential mowing. First year in business I advertised in local papers for work and got 15-20 residentials. By years end I had dropped most of them for that same kind of crap. It drove me batty, going to look what the complaint was and finding the same 2-3 peices of grass scattered over a sidewalk. We have 2 original accounts (about 6 years old now), about 10 residential altogether, and keep 3 crews running all the time without them. We stick to government contracts, cemeteries, housing projects, municipal work, etc. Have no interest in commercial either.