PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so stupid?

PLS-Tx
07-09-2006, 11:17 PM
We got a call Sat about 6pm, guy wants to know if we can trim his bushes. He said he is selling his house, and a home inspector is coming, so he needs it done by Monday. It's been raining here for a week and this guy is not a regular customer, but of course he thinks we will just run right over.

What's with these people, they act like we are just sitting by the phone wating for someone to call. :hammerhead:

TurfProSTL
07-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Some people don't know. They figure if you make a living cutting grass, you're desperately sitting by the phone waiting for their call.....

I'd call him back on Monday.

Team-Green L&L
07-09-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm glad to know that it's not just me. You mean that all your calls don't live next door? LOL

HOOLIE
07-09-2006, 11:53 PM
The ones I love...when you sign up a neighbor of an existing customer, and the new customer says "Hey...you could just do mine the same time you do theirs..." I'm glad they figured that out for me, I was planning on doing one lawn, loading up, driving 10 miles to another house, then coming back to do theirs :hammerhead:

Yeah really most people aren't concerned or interested in how your business operates. And I'll bet if that guy keeps calling he'll find somebody to do his bushes.

What do the bushes have to do with a home inspection anyway?? They growing into the house???? :laugh:

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Some people don't know. They figure if you make a living cutting grass, you're desperately sitting by the phone waiting for their call.....

I'd call him back on Monday.

Actually there are thousands of us waiting desperately for a call, some like me who have restarted in the industry or newbies or are looking for more work, give them the number of some one who is quiet in your area, still i bet he had no trouble finding some body.

*aussieflag*

rsls
07-10-2006, 12:12 AM
maybe he is in a bind and is not expecting you to run right over but rather inquiring if you can? just be honest, if you cant do it tell him and he will call one of the other LCO's on this site complaining that they dont have enough customers.

Dashunde
07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
What do the bushes have to do with a home inspection anyway?? They growing into the house???? :laugh:

My first thought exactly. Bushes have nothing to do with an inspection.
If you agree to go take a look, you can probably expect a real mess... either that or he is just paranoid.

firefightergw
07-10-2006, 12:25 AM

We do all the work for a real estate company. The powers that be have told me that anytime we do a clean-up that all bushes and trees must be cut a minimum of 6 inches from the house. Says that if they are closer than that it is not good on the inspection. I don't understand it either but apparently this is a big deal if you are in real estate.

topsites
07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I find if this kind of call frustrates you then it means you are too busy, which is good.

I get them, too... But I have learned do NOT take these calls unless you are very desperate for the money because you will end up bending over backwards and doing a lot of work for just enough to cover your basics.

That's the whole principle of 'can you do it yesterday,' if you can, then you're not very busy, hence your prices are low. Whether the bit with the inspection is true or not, it doesn't matter, this customer wants fast work done cheap, quality would be nice.

If you're not in the mood to work for less, just don't call back or like sandgropher said, this is the PERFECT opportunity to pull out that number of that lowballer you saw the other day, refer that customer to that Lco and you've made the best of both worlds meet.
And yes, you BET I keep the numbers of 1 or 2 lowballers handy at all times, hey, there's work for everybody and so long that someone is willing to do it for less, I can be of help to the customer AND that other Lco at the same time while I keep myself out of a situation I don't want, so then everybody is happy.

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 12:39 AM
We do all the work for a real estate company. The powers that be have told me that anytime we do a clean-up that all bushes and trees must be cut a minimum of 6 inches from the house. Says that if they are closer than that it is not good on the inspection. I don't understand it either but apparently this is a big deal if you are in real estate.

My rent inspection jobs are the same it all depends on the real estate people ,how strict they are all my garden beds have to be free of weeds to, i guess the yard has to look tidy (diff people have diff views on what is tidy).

I should point out the guy in this thread says he is selling his house ( im talking renters) so he should trim bushes mulch garden beds etc to get a good price.

*aussieflag*

garth1967
07-10-2006, 01:41 AM
busy or not ,my bid is double the norm and payment is to made on the day on the spot.isnt it amazing though im on the otherside of the world and let me tell you those calls are very common here.i just love to here the desparation in there voice

topsites
07-10-2006, 01:53 AM
busy or not ,my bid is double the norm and payment is to made on the day on the spot.isnt it amazing though im on the otherside of the world and let me tell you those calls are very common here.i just love to here the desparation in there voice

That's the flipside of the coin, but there's just so many times I don't bother...
It's one thing if they REALLY need it done, then yes, charge more and double is not unheard of.

But there's so many times, too, they're just playing with me by throwing around the bs and I quote double and I might as well have stayed home... I'm not saying don't quote high, but I am saying if I can see it's not going to work, don't even bother.

Either way, whatever works for you and more power to you.

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 02:36 AM

AAAARRRRRR!!!!! the best two things about mowing, the smell of two stroke in the mornings and the sounds of desperation in customers voices.its music to my ears:headphones: :laugh: payup payup

StBalor
07-10-2006, 06:37 AM
This is the reason i dDO NOT take call ins. Call ins being people who do no want to be put on a schedule. They always wait till the grass is a foot tall and when they do call it needs to be cut now. I hate that.

Charles
07-10-2006, 06:48 AM
All you have to tell him is when you can do the job. His fault for waiting to the last minute to call. He will either waite or call someone else. Run your business and don't let it run you. Yea, you could refer him to someone else too.

Groomer
07-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Around here we call them "courtesy" cuts. Guy walks over and says he'll be out fo town for a week, could we cut it once? Then a cold front moves in, it rains for 2 days, we get a little behind, and guess who doesn't get cut? I quit taking courtesy work long ago.....

Lawnmedics
07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Dashunde]My first thought exactly. Bushes have nothing to do with an inspection.

In my area the pest control guys have been telling people keeping there bushes at least 6 inches back keeps the termites out of there home. I have had more than one account tell me that they had been told this buy there pest guy. Who know's.

TCL
07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Im not a pest control expert, but cant these pests simply walk across the ground to get to the house if the shrubs are cut back 6 inches. Just a thought!

3Bladz
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
If your schedule is full tell them it's full. Aren't you guys in the service business. What difference does it make why he wants them trimmed. The fact is he Wants them trimmed. Charge what the service is worth (and yes I agree, immediate service for a one time job is worth more $)or turn down the job. I get a lot of customers who badmouth the guys that "never call me back" Who knows, if you do a good job the new owners may use your service.

quiet
07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Actually there are thousands of us waiting desperately for a call, give them the number of some one who is quiet in your area

*aussieflag*

No thanks, I hate doing bushes in the summer.

I had a lady start complaining because I wouldn't do the dormant pruning of her crepe myrtles . . . at 5:00 pm (just before sunset) . . . on Friday . . . DECEMBER 23!! Had another guy ask me when I was gonna scalp his dormant bermuda lawn down so we get it to green up faster . . . This was on Wednesday . . . JANUARY 4!