PDA

View Full Version : Ferris IS Does it work?

Gatewayuser
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I might go demo a Ferris Is tomorrow I tried of destroying my back. Do they offer a GOOD striping kit for this mower yet? Are the mowers holding up well and does the suspension really work as well as they say? Thanks!

rodfather
07-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Most comfortable mowers out there IMO. We just finished field testing the IS 2000Z for Turf Magazine's article/report. The independent suspension makes all the diference in the world. We have it on our 3000's and 4000 as well.

2 clowns mowing
07-10-2006, 07:00 AM
i own a ferris 1500 48" deck, this works great, helps with smooth ride i test drove a ferris 2000 this spring for a week it was real smooth. i tested the is5100 WOW! what a machine but too pricey for me. koenig john deere tractor sells the ferris mower they offer a 4 year warranty that covers the original warranty on the unit for a full 4 years. ferris is only two years. koenig extra coverage is around $1000.00 i'm thinking of buying the is2000

TNT Lawncare
07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I own a 1500 with a stripe kit. I like it. Mine 48" and I wish I had a bigger one. I have pics of what the stripe kit can do in the picture forum under June stripping contest.

Raven386
07-10-2006, 08:28 AM
we just demoed a IS2000 a few days ago. and IMO i dont know how other guys can even use rigid frame mowers. we demoed a Lesco and ive taken a Tank M60 through a parking lot and over a bumpy piece of grass. and i felt it big time in my back the next day. so needless to say when i purchase a Z it will be a Ferris. unless someone else comes out w/ a better suspension system.

pugs
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
How much extra is all the suspension stuff compared to a similar Bobcat or Exmark or what not?

How well do all those extra moving parts hold up?

sawman65
07-10-2006, 12:35 PM
i dont see any big price mark up on them. the 60" 27 hp exmark is about the same price in my town. i think it may be somewhat cheaper

hossmp
07-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Hands down one of the best riding machines you will every demo. I suggest finding a dealer and giving one a try. I have the 3000 with a 26 kawi. I also have a Scag and an old Bobcat/Ransommes. I think they all have there strengths and weaknesses. I would highly suggest the Ferris if you have back issues. As for pricing its up to the dealers somewhat. In my area the pricing was competitive with all other major brands.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
ive been using a scag Z when working for another LCO this summer and man, i can really see how that suspension would be nice! i got used to the ride and how to move my body and such with bumps but those ridgid frames make for a bumpy ride!

Howie's Lawn Care
07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
ive been using a scag Z when working for another LCO this summer and man, i can really see how that suspension would be nice! i got used to the ride and how to move my body and such with bumps but those ridgid frames make for a bumpy ride!
What's the other LCO you work for like? Is he a big company and are you learning alot from working for him? I wish I would have worked for someone else so I could have learned about the landscaping aspects of business. There's not enough time for me with my other 20hr weekend job and then school the other 4 months of the season. I'm going to try working part time next summer for an LCO that is located about a block away from my house. He has three dump truck, and a regular mowing crew. He has a tractor and two skid steers. Its a really good operation and he always has plenty of work. I've heard a few of his bids and he isn't cheap either. He knows what he's doing and is very close to being as big as the biggest LCO in town, and he just started mid last year. Anyways, I've talked with him a few times, so I think he would take me aboard if he needs the help. What is your employer paying you if you don't mind me asking? I'm not expecting to make much working for someone else. Thanks for any opinions on this subject.

-Nick Howard

TNT Lawncare
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I know in my town, if you are just working for a crew, you can only expect between 6-10 per hour. You can get more if you have lots of experience and know what your doing but the only way to make alot is to have your own business.

downtown
09-10-2006, 09:50 PM
hossmp......

How many hours do you have on your 3000/26 Kawi? I've been using a 1500 hour loaner and thinking of making an offer on it. It's a little rough and needs some TLC. I was most concerned that the engine needs to be choked even if it's only sat for a half hour or so. Any info, comments, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Howard Roark
09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Most comfortable mowers out there IMO. We just finished field testing the IS 2000Z for Turf Magazine's article/report. The independent suspension makes all the diference in the world. We have it on our 3000's and 4000 as well.

I have an honest question for you guys who Field Test mowers for Turf magazine.

Do you receive any compensation of any kind for your field test? Including a free mower (or use of a mower for free for any extended period of time), cash, or any goods or services of any kind?

I'm just trying to learn more about the industry and it's reviews. Thanks for your reply very much.

tacoma200
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I know the field test for the Hustler Super Z XR7 was worthless in the magazine. Unless maybe you live near Florida where it was tested. Flat ground, Southern grasses did nothing to tell the people in the mid section of the country anything. As we are seeing now with some problems that have come to light. Not knocking the Magazine just take any test with a grain of salt because conditons vary so much in different parts of the country. It's kind of hard to say a mower is problem prone if they support your magazine. Don't take this out of context, I'm just saying a review in Florida conditions doesn't deal with any of the shortcomings or problems such as Northern grasses, loss of power on hills, missing strips of grass, etc. None of these were addressed and they gave it a glowing review. Which it is a good mower but these are the kind of things that should have been caught before hand. Like I said don't take this out of context but I have been reading about XR7's for along time and it didn't prepare me for any of the problems so take the review and learn what you can but the best test in on your own type turf with a demo in less than ideal conditions.

procut
09-10-2006, 11:34 PM
I have an honest question for you guys who Field Test mowers for Turf magazine.

Do you receive any compensation of any kind for your field test? Including a free mower (or use of a mower for free for any extended period of time), cash, or any goods or services of any kind?

I'm just trying to learn more about the industry and it's reviews. Thanks for your reply very much.

I did a field test on a JD 757 that will be appearing in the October issue. I was told they would mail me a check for the field test, but I have not seen it yet.

Back to the topic of the thread. I actually almost bought a Ferris IS 2000 a few weeks ago. The suspension makes a truely noticable differance. Anyone who says it doesn't work is lying. I decided against the Ferris becasue of price and quality of cut. The quality of cut was not impressive IMO. I have a 7 year old Toro Z Master with 2000+ hours on it and the front of the deck smashed in actually cuts better than the new Ferris I demoed. Also, the ferris was about $900 more than a new Toro.

tacoma200
09-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Just wondering if any mowers get really bad reviews in magazines?

rodfather
09-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Do you receive any compensation of any kind for your field test?

I received a check from them for $175.

MarcSmith
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
I woudl imagine the the Ferris IS with a nice suspension seat woudl be the best....When I started cutting and went to the suspension seat on the exmark my body thanked me. couple that with the IS Heck you migth never want to get off the darn thing.

jaybe_2
09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I bought an is 5000 w/ a 72" deck and love it. After mowing a couple of times it dawned on me that it was leaving a crappy cut. I called the dealer and asked if they set the deck up and was told it was all set. So I took 10 min. and read the owners Manuel and went to measure the deck, what I found was a deck that was off a 1/2" side to side and 3/4" low in the rear. So i took some time and set it up right! They say this mower will go 12 mpr ( it feels faster to me) it will make a perfect cut at that speed. I am very impressed by this mower!

Tim Wright
09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
1. I am finishing out the second season with my Ferris IS1500Z with the 25 kaw. and field tested the Wright Sentar for the summer for Turf magazine.

The IS makes all the difference in the world.

2. As for the other question posted about field testing for Turf Mag, I was given a check for $175.00 for writing the article. The manufacturer let me use the machine for the summer. It is actually going back to them in 2 days.

Someone here said that te articles should be taken with a grain of salt. In response, each article is written by seperate individuals who have no specific ties with the mag or manufacturer unless they have other equipment in their own shop.

I for one wrote my article as true to reality as I possibly could. I wrote the pro's and con's and did so because I know from experience in other fields that it could really mess up someones financial future if they do not find real users to get real life assessments from.

So in my article I gave a real life assessment.

But I do agree with the responder in the fact that if you can get to talk with other pros who use the repective equipment to earn their bread and butter, you will have a better understanding and view of what you are getting into.

Having said all of that, you always run into the JD only dudes and dudettes, or the Chevy only, or the Ford only, etc. So use your head and apply remember what you are going to use the machine for before buying it.

Tim