PDA

View Full Version : 6 acres sure looked mighty large

burns60
07-10-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't usually ask for advice on pricing because I tend to think "to each his own" and if you are satisfied with what you are making, well what does it matter what someone else thinks you should be charging.

Well, I'm gonna crawfish on that thinking a little and ask for help. By the way, I didn't get the job so this is only to satisfy my curiousity as to what some of you may have bid.

6 acres, open, smooth ground, less than 15 trees to contend with, one time mow with maybe a possibility of future mows only trimming the inside perimeter next to the house, and not very much edging. This describes the property as well as I can recall. Twenty miles out and about 8 miles from my present furthest account.

I bid $250, and am sorta feeling like a "shot myself in the foot." Give my some of your feelings on my bid. Did I blow it or does it sound like I just didn't want to mow that much grass, am I way out of line, or do you think I was right? I guess I'm feeling like I bid too high, not just because I didn't get it, but that is too much for that yard. He wanted a bid on the spot, when I would normally think on one this large. So maybe this is where I went wrong. I don't know, just give me some input.

mulcahy mowing
07-10-2006, 01:11 AM
what type of mower are you running how long will it take you?

topsites
07-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Hmmm... Ok, if I look at a property that big before I've had a chance to doublecheck myself (meaning I like to look it up and get the county data on it)... Like yourself, I prefer to take my time with big bids and the fact that he wanted the bid on the spot, I don't care for it when someone pressures me, especially on a lot that size, I would not have been so sure if it's really 6 acres or 8 or 10 or 12!!! Because it's so hard to gauge by eye and sorry but I don't trust the customer's input 100% (not just yours, anyone's)...

Also my price might be a bit high because I would be using a Wb to do it, thou I try to keep it competitive and I know I won't be raking in no $60 pmh, it's still nice to have a good size lot that takes me 5-6 hours and I might only earn $45'ish pmh but it's worth it to me.

That having been said, my price for 6 acres is 235 in virginia, but again you got to give me my time or I'm likely to quote you 300-400 if you push me, just because I get scared... Either way, 250 may have been a bit high but it's in the ballpark and for northern Mississippi, it might be right on target, I don't know, it's not way outlandish, either. I mean, how much cheaper can you do it? 200? What if it's really 7 acres, do you know for sure it's really 6, or is that what you estimated / the customer told you?

I get a feeling the guy was price shopping, not so sure if you really want to compete with that, you may have shot yourself in the foot with one hand but on the other hand you might be better off this way, too.

Splicer
07-10-2006, 03:12 AM
I would have said $175...

TURF DOCTOR
07-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Just mowing with little trimming close on price,we mow a ball field it's 5 acres.

hmartin
07-10-2006, 06:36 AM
I am guessing about 3 hours work total with a 60" ZRT. I have not mowed a lot yet that I could go full speed on more than half the time around here. I think I could make good money at $180.

stumper1620
07-10-2006, 06:43 AM
As a one time mow. No less than 250.00
I hate one timmers.
Get this, july 3rd, 1:00 in the afternoon, I get a call "I need my lawn cut, (20 miles away) It hasn't been mowed since last year and the house is for sale, I need it cut today. How much would it cost?" My response, How big of a Yard? " Oh its a city lot", Ok, city lots in this town are about an acre, so I said well to get to you today its gonna be 300 bucks. " Oh, I need it today but I can't pay that much." Well, thank you for the call. I can't drop everything the day before a holiday to go mow cheap one timmers.

rodfather
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
On big properties, I don't like using round numbers like 250 or 300. I like numbers like 265, 285, 315, etc. Using those kinds of numbers makes it look like you thought about your estimate alot more IMO and really fine tuned it.

Just be able to substantiate it if the customer asks how you came up with that kind of number.

barnard
07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
You bid it right.

jim dailey
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't usually ask for advice on pricing because I tend to think "to each his own" and if you are satisfied with what you are making, well what does it matter what someone else thinks you should be charging.

Well, I'm gonna crawfish on that thinking a little and ask for help. By the way, I didn't get the job so this is only to satisfy my curiousity as to what some of you may have bid.

6 acres, open, smooth ground, less than 15 trees to contend with, one time mow with maybe a possibility of future mows only trimming the inside perimeter next to the house, and not very much edging. This describes the property as well as I can recall. Twenty miles out and about 8 miles from my present furthest account.

I bid $250, and am sorta feeling like a "shot myself in the foot." Give my some of your feelings on my bid. Did I blow it or does it sound like I just didn't want to mow that much grass, am I way out of line, or do you think I was right? I guess I'm feeling like I bid too high, not just because I didn't get it, but that is too much for that yard. He wanted a bid on the spot, when I would normally think on one this large. So maybe this is where I went wrong. I don't know, just give me some input.

You didn't get it, so just move on. I DO NOT live in your area, but, your quote seems to be in the ballpark. Don't forget the wear and tear that your equipment would have gone through. I would let this one pass, and just keep on the outlook for others in the future. You just know human nature: They want the lowest bid possible to do the job. Take Care.

burns60
07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
what type of mower are you running how long will it take you?

48 inch Lazer HP. I don't really know about time it would take, but I would guess (that's another thing I don't like, is guessing) 4hours? If I knew this it would be pretty easy to estimate probably.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
48 inch Lazer HP. I don't really know about time it would take, but I would guess (that's another thing I don't like, is guessing) 4hours? If I knew this it would be pretty easy to estimate probably.

$125 with my 11' WAM, but only on contract for the year at 24 cuts / year, whether it rains or not, so a total price of $3,000 for the year.

If it was a one time deal, I'd pass.

David Haggerty
07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree with topsites. Especially the part about taking the customer's word for it. Most of them just don't really know how much turf they have. I measure them with a GPS.
I'd bet if you measured this guy's lawn it'd be more. And with him crowding you for an on the spot estimate, plus being a one time cut, that's strike three. You're better off without him.

Now if it actually was 6 acres I'd say your bid would be good for the whole season. For one time I'd have bid more. And I have several big lawns. They're my specialty.

burns60
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
On big properties, I don't like using round numbers like 250 or 300. I like numbers like 265, 285, 315, etc. Using those kinds of numbers makes it look like you thought about your estimate alot more IMO and really fine tuned it.

Just be able to substantiate it if the customer asks how you came up with that kind of number.
Yeah, I sorta came up with that by thinking ( and I told him this also) that I could stay in town in do 4/5 normal size yards and make close to the same money, and added to the fact it is 20 miles away is how I came up with my bid. But, with the drought I can't just add 4 yards at this time anyway. On the other hand I was thinking, "yeah don't bid this too low because if it were to become a regular then you are stuck with this price even after the drought is over."

Well, thanks to all who gave me input on this. I'm not gonna dwell on it, just is good to be able to get other LCO's help sometime.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Just mowing with little trimming close on price,we mow a ball field it's 5 acres.

Is that one field?? Or 2-3 actual playing fields??

An actual baseballball field (365'ish down the foul line) is only about 2.5 acres give or take, and that's if it has a grass infield. (365 x 365 x 3.14) / 43,560 / 4 = 2.4004267 acres.

hmartin
07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I measure them with a GPS.
How much does that cost to get? My brother does a lot of large acre pasture cutting and people lie big time on the acreage. He has an acre counter on his tractor, but knowing before hand with a GPS seems like a great idea.

TheKingNJ
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I would have said $175...

your nuts!

$310 min.

mike lane lawn care
07-10-2006, 10:32 PM
one time cut, 5 hours and $250 later and i would be very happy.
cut weekly or bi-weekly would be $225. just my input

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
your nuts!

$310 min.

Only in N.J. would $310 get anything but a good laugh..........

David Haggerty
07-10-2006, 10:43 PM
How much does that cost to get? My brother does a lot of large acre pasture cutting and people lie big time on the acreage. He has an acre counter on his tractor, but knowing before hand with a GPS seems like a great idea.

Here's a link.

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/

topsites
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM

That would be cool, the method I use isn't 100% but I just go to Zillow.com (http://www.zillow.com/) and type in their street address + zip code and BLAM, it gives me the lot size on my computer. Again it's not 100% because it is possible someone with a 4 acre lot has 2 acres worth of woods so you still have to go look, but it helps a LOT!

mulcahy mowing
07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
you sound in the ball park. you can always talk to them and charge more if your going to loose your @ss