PDA

View Full Version : What does your mower cost to operate

RyanD
07-10-2006, 08:25 AM
per hour? I was doing some figuring and I came up with $8.42. This included fuel, oil, filters, grease, anticipated repairs, cleaning, and replacement cost. I was just curious what others had figured.

JJLandscapes
07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
per hour? I was doing some figuring and I came up with $8.42. This included fuel, oil, filters, grease, anticipated repairs, cleaning, and replacement cost. I was just curious what others had figured.

u cant in ur wildest dreams anticipate repairs.... and do u bring it to a carwash for cleaning or what costs are in that?

Liquidfast
07-10-2006, 11:49 AM

At this rate, one could buy a NEW mower (zero turn at that) every 5 months.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 11:52 AM
could you explain how you came up with that figure in detail? maybe we can spot the problem or understand your reasoning

Team-Green L&L
07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Wow, that is low! We operate the LCO teaams at $13.40 mh. I shall not explain in detail, but Larry Brown has an Excel sheet to do the figures for you.

rodneyskip
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
could you explain how you came up with that figure in detail? maybe we can spot the problem or understand your reasoning

Most ztrs use more than a gallon an hour. There is half the cost.
Then you have blades, oil, belts, depreciation, insurance, etc...

I think that he is on target. Depends on how much his ztr cost in the first place.

Of course if he has a Deere, he won't have much depreciation.

Team-Green L&L
07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
The mower fuel is one expense, but there's also 2 cycle mix, depreciation, truck fuel, overhead costs, insurance, worker's comp., taxes, and marketing costs. Plus whatever time is used in the back-end of the operation.

Tony Clifton
07-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep, that # seems reasonable. Like Rodeny said, the fuel can account for about 1/2 of that, then there is the labor costs associated with daily maintenance, sharpening blades, blowing it off, greasing it. Then there are the oil changes, so cost of oil/filter plus labor to change it. Then there is the cost of new blades, belts, bearings, new tires, etc. Things start adding up fast.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I agree....now!

rodfather
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM

very accurate...our wb's are around $7.75 and Z's btween 8 and 10 depending on size.

hmartin
07-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I am thinking about $10 an hour also for a JD 757. A lot of my numbers are estimates. One of the big "what if" is how long the engine will last. I know one guy that has two KAW 20 hp on JD 425's last only about 1000 hours. The engine is almost 3 grand installed at a dealer. If my mower cost 8000 and the engine last 1000 hours and I replace it and run the mower another 1000 hours, I figure the mower is pretty much worn out at 2000 hours. I will have $11000 in just the mower and one engine split across 2000 hours. That is $5.50 an hour right there alone. $5.50 plus $3.00 for gas plus everything else and I am beginning to think my estimate is to low.

If anyone has it all worked out I would love to see it!!!!! It would help show people charging low prices that they are not making money.

RyanD
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
JJLandscapes - Yes I take it to the car wash (don't have a powerwasher).

liquidfast - I don't understand what you mean.

Teamgreen - I am only talking about expenses associated with running the mower. Not fueling my string trimmer or getting it to the clients property.

Rodneyskip-my ztr cost $2700

Hmartin - You are absolutely right about helping people understand why they are bidding too low. The most important thing I ever learned on this site is to "know your costs." That is why I am trying to hash this out.

Here is my reasoning.

Gasoline $3.00
Oil, grease $.15
wash $.12
Replacement cost $5.00

I am now at $8.47 (added some cost to oil and lubricants). I would like to try to figure blades but I don't know how long they last. Still on my first set of used ones!

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
JJLandscapes - Yes I take it to the car wash (don't have a powerwasher).

liquidfast - I don't understand what you mean.

Teamgreen - I am only talking about expenses associated with running the mower. Not fueling my string trimmer or getting it to the clients property.

Rodneyskip-my ztr cost $2700

Hmartin - You are absolutely right about helping people understand why they are bidding too low. The most important thing I ever learned on this site is to "know your costs." That is why I am trying to hash this out.

Here is my reasoning.

Gasoline $3.00
Oil, grease $.15
wash $.12
Replacement cost $5.00

I am now at $8.47 (added some cost to oil and lubricants). I would like to try to figure blades but I don't know how long they last. Still on my first set of used ones!

Oil and grease come under maintenance which includes such things as blades, new clutches, new belts, new tires,filters,spindles, bearings, tune-ups, etc., etc., etc..........................

RyanD
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
dvmcmrhp52- Some of these items I didn't think of. I will have to do some figuring. Thanks for the help guys. It will probably be much more than I thought (usually is).

topsites
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
I suppose it's kind of cool to figure it out to the penny, but I just figured my Wb is like an employee, so +$10 pmh...
But it's actually less, a LOT less... I still don't know per hour for sure, but a dollar or two per yard serviced, maybe $3-4 / hour of use after maintenance, it goes up some with the tougher fixes.

As for the carwash, first I caught the eventual complaint because it does get grease and crap all over their bays. But that didn't bother me as much as the paint the powersprayer can and will take off in time. So I don't use powerwash to wash it, just a hefty blob of dishwashing soap in a bucket of warm water (DG sells 50-ounce bottles for 1.50 each), a sponge and an old towel and a hose, and 15-20 minutes gets her halfway decent... No more trips to the carwash either, do it right at home.