PDA

View Full Version : Audrey, hows the Scag working out?

tacoma200
07-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Just wondering how you are liking the Scag with the new deck and big Vanguard engine?

Audrey
07-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Just wondering how you are liking the Scag with the new deck and big Vanguard engine?

Heya Tacoma!

I love it! It's a blast to drive! However, I think I have a fetish for watching the clippings disappear when flying out of the chute. I must be a simpleton, it's just the coolest thing. :laugh:

I firmly believe this was a good investment. It is head and shoulders above the 2001 machine. The only problems I have had so far, have been operator error, or inexperience with a larger deck size (spanning, scalping). It is quite rare indeed, when I have nothing to ***** about. :laugh: I'm usually at no loss for that!

The power is great! I haven't been able to bog the motor yet. Even with all this rain, I haven't found a forrest thick enough to shut her down. Gas wise, I am getting about 8 hours on a tankful in normal conditions with side discharge. I got 10 on my 23/52 Tiger.

Here and there on LS, I have posted some other things about the machine.

Today I ran into some problems with the rear tires. MY fault, not the machine's. These things are so darn wide, it will rip up the turf on tighter turns. I need to make a wider radius, or use three point turns. The ground here is so soft, it agrivates this problem. Again, I don't blame the tool, it's me. I ran the other machine for 5 years and it's what I'm used to. I'm still in the learning phase. :) I found out that it will also kill the turf in 12X16" squares if you make too hard of a launch. There's extreme power, but you really need to tread gently with it. It's quite unforgiving.

The other Scag is hard on the body, sits high, has pathetic power, and doesn't cut anywhere near as nice as the new one.
The 2006 is harder on gas, and the turning radius is larger depending on location.

I can't complain about the gas issue, I knew what I was getting into before I bought it. As far as the tires eating turf, well, I either need to acquire more skill in my hands, or start using a different method of turning trees and poles. Even using the three point turns, I am saving lots of time with the bigger deck and much faster cutting speed. This Tiger will cut very well at full speed, but most places I can't utilize it because of terrain conditions. It's just not flat enough. I view it as a nice problem to have. :)

In time I will have solved the radius problem. In light of that, I have no isues at all with this machine. :) I am looking forward to trying high lifts on it. I can only imagine that it will suck the worms right out of the earth! :laugh: With regular blades it's throwing clippings a good 8 feet. Up against a road there's no problems putting clippings over the double yellow line. I don't do it as regular practice, but I enjoy seeing what the machine will do. There's a lot more air coming out of this deck. I am very happy. :)

A

TURF DOCTOR
07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Scag with the big vanguard no one can top the power.

mcwlandscaping
07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
VERY GOOD write up on your review of the mower! that was great!!!! i really enjoyed reading it and it gives me another mower option to consider next year when i predict ill be in need of a Z

tacoma200
07-10-2006, 11:06 PM
How about the ride over bumpy lawn? Does the big mower ride better with the larger tires and no doubt you have the good seat? I think they have semi-numatic tires in front.

Audrey
07-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks MCW.... :)

Tacoma,

Yep, no-flats up front.

IIRC, on the 29hp and up, the Tiger comes with the suspension seat. Evidently from other discussions, it's the same seat as on the Hustler. eXmark too? Anyway, I fully concur that it's a great ride for my fat sitty down. You can feel yourself moving gently up and down as the seat takes the shock away. It's well worth the money if you want to add it onto another machine. Also, the new Tiger sits lower than the older ones. The one dealer said it's only about 2 inches, but it feels like a foot. Maybe the redesign of the seat mount has something to do with it too. I don't know, but it's great!
I can only imagine that this also helps with the machine's ability to stick to basin walls.

You can fly full speed over bumpy lawns with this new Tiger. However, at some point, you will exceed the limitations of the seat, and the periodic jolt will cause you to move a stick. That wrecks the lines. I have found that backing off to 3/4 full speed offers me full control, superior cut quality, and a favorable ride. I don't bottom out on the seat nearly as much.

I don't know how much the tires help with the ride. I can't intelligently give you that answer. There are too many variables in my specific case. I know that generally a little lower pressure will help with the ride, but given what machine I came from, this baby is every bit as nice as new Caddy. :)
Is it the seat? The tires? A little hidden redesign somewhere to absorb some shock/vibration? I don't know. I just know that I like it. I am running the recommended 12psi in the rear tires.

A