PDA

View Full Version : B&S 287707 pull start

hansenrp
07-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have an Agway (MTD) mower with Briggs & Stratton 287707 engine with electric start. I have been having problems starting it recently and to make a long story short I am considering installing a recoil (pull start) start. Can anyone tell me is this possible? What is involved? From the parts diagram I'm guessing I'll ned to purchase the recoil unit (399671) and clutch (390391) is there any thing else? A walk through would be a tremendous help! Thanks in advance.

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 11:04 AM
You will need a crankshaft extension to install the recoil clutch;
http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=691779
And the proper grass screen to fit the clutch;
http://www.briggspowershop.com/BriggsAndStratton/ProductDetails.aspx?sendingPageType=SearchResults&Catalog=BriggsAndStratton&ProductId=690492
Also don't forget to put a light coat of 10w30 oil on the crank extension and a couple drops inside the recoil clutch, There is felt in the bottom to hold the oil. And make sure you get the clutch tight as not to shear the flywheel key.

hansenrp
07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Will I need to pull the flywheel for the crank shaft extension? Thanks for the info.
Richard

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 12:05 PM
No, Just remove the flywheel retaining bolt and screw the extension in it's place, But don't screw it in till it bottoms out. There is a shoulder on it that should be flush with the top of the flywheel then screw the clutch in place.

hansenrp
07-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks again. One more question. I was reading your post on how to remove the flywheel retaining bolt (rope trick). Here comes the dumb question: How do I determine TDC? Please excuse my ignorance! Thank you again for great advice.

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Put your palms on top of the grass screen and rotate the engine clockwise until it gets hard to spin, This will be the beginning of the compression stroke. Stop and remove the spark plug and stick a small screw driver in the hole, Continue to rotate the engine until you feel the piston hit the screw driver. As you continue to rotate the engine the piston will push the screw driver out of the hole. Once you reach TDC the screw driver will start going back down inside the plug hole, At this point continue to rotate a quarter turn more and insert the rope. As you go to loosen the bolt the piston will come back up to TDC and the rope will pin it so you can loosen it.

Once the bolt is out rotate the flywheel back clockwise that quarter turn and remove the rope. From this point rotate the flywheel 1/2 turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE this will put the piston before TDC, Then reinstall the rope in the cylinder to pin the piston to tighten the clutch.