PDA

View Full Version : Scag wont turn?

Firefighter1428
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I was just starting a job today and my 48 inch scag wont make a right turn. I checked the belt and its tight, no lose or broken steering parts, Belt clamps down when brakes are applied, Everything is checking out...WHAT AM I MISSING???? Anyone ever have the same problem? and answers to why this is happening? My exmark went into the shop friday afternoon for afew minor kinks and they cant get it back to me til tomorrow afternoon which means my scag is my only piece I have til my exmark gets back, Which means no work until late tuesday or wenesday if I cant get my scag fixed...

Restrorob
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
If this is a gear drive walk behind sounds like you have a drive axle spline stripped or coupler. When trying to make a turn watch the drive axles and see if one stops rotating.

barnard
07-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I was just starting a job today and my 48 inch scag wont make a right turn. I checked the belt and its tight, no lose or broken steering parts, Belt clamps down when brakes are applied, Everything is checking out...WHAT AM I MISSING???? Anyone ever have the same problem? and answers to why this is happening? My exmark went into the shop friday afternoon for afew minor kinks and they cant get it back to me til tomorrow afternoon which means my scag is my only piece I have til my exmark gets back, Which means no work until late tuesday or wenesday if I cant get my scag fixed...
Sounds like you are talking about a belt /gear drive. If so the belt should not clamp down when the brake is applied as you describe. The belt should relax and the brake band should clamp down on the brake hub. You can check this with the machine off visually. Also put machine in neutral and roll it , apply the right brake it should turn right if not its your brake mechanism

Firefighter1428
07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
BARNARD, Sorry your right, I ment to say the clamp, clamps down not the belt. I found a clip that was missing, replaced it and I have some slight steering now, but the hand grip will not return itself to the down position with out me manualy pushing it back down. Its also harder to return to the straight position after making a left turn now (it makes a slight pull to the left, unless I manualy push down right hand grip (Making sure its all the way down) It wasnt doing this at first).

Im still messing with it hoping that something just clicks or pops back and it runs, if not Its going to the shop late tomorrow and I will have a long week trying to finish up with just my 36......
I checked the springs and replaced both figuring maybe the springs were worn out and just dont have the pull left in them to help retract after letting go of the hand grips.

barnard
07-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Sounds like some of your pivot points need lubricated, may need removed and cleaned up then lubed and reassembled.You should be able to do it yourself.For a possible quik fix spray all pivot points with a spray penetrant oil

lawnwizards
07-16-2006, 11:59 AM
i had the same problem the other day. it was the band brake that stops the wheel from turning. it was broke but still attached so it took some serious looking to finally figure it out.