PDA

View Full Version : stihl vs redmax trimmers

onerepairman
07-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Can any one help? I was wondering if anyone has switched from stihl fs 80/85/90 to a redmax trimmer? Which did you switch to? Why did you switch?

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I've just mentioned this recently but here goes...........

We run all Stihl equipment, we have 1 Redmax trimmer, everybody that has used it does not like the uncomfortable nature of it's throttle trigger and handgrip.
It's got a good running engine, it's just plain uncomfortable to use in comparison to the Stihls..............
Others will disagree I'm sure...........

lawnboy dan
07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
the sthils were heavy -ill balanced -hard to change the line on and most of all unreliable due to bad carbs and ing magnetos. the throttle desighn is troublesome too. i switched to husky. i have a redmax 2400 that i would like more if i got a echo type head . its fine otherwise.

LawnInOrder
07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Redmax 2600 and never look back. I have had a echo and they are ok. I then tried a redmax when I retired my echo. What a difference. Alot of power. beast of a machine. LawnInOrder

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
the sthils were heavy -ill balanced -hard to change the line on and most of all unreliable due to bad carbs and ing magnetos. the throttle desighn is troublesome too. i switched to husky. i have a redmax 2400 that i would like more if i got a echo type head . its fine otherwise.

None of this has been our experience.

Heavy and ill balanced?
Hard to change line?(redmax has the SAME type head)
Bad carbs?
Throttle design troublesome?
When's the last time you used one?

Mike Blevins
07-10-2006, 07:27 PM
i have used both stihl fs-80 and redmax bczs2600 , each have 25.4 cc and each are good trimmers but my personal experience and preference i think that redmax is better hands down! also i believe the redmax has two year commercial warranty where the stihl has one. also has to do with which dealer is closer ,maintenance ,parts etc.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Both are great trimmers , we still have several running fs80r's going on 4 years with no problems. Both weigh about the same. Its really who can give you the most dealer support when they brake down.

HenryB
07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I always have had Redmax's I tried twice to introduce Stihls (great dealer) and I could not make my guys use them. They are not smooth or balanced and the heads are the pits. I've found Redmax to be the best choice. I've tried them all, and been doing this gig way longer than I should.

dcplace2004
07-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I just had a tension spring shear on my stihl fs110r totally disabling the trimmer as the trigger sticks in the full throttle position...one in a million defect? I would have rather won the megamillion lottery...I am pizzed but guess things happen and it is not stihl's fault...the only thing that is getting me is the weight of my trimmer...11.7 pounds without the cutting attachment, string, guard, and fuel....HEAVY!...sometimes I would rather have that husky that weighs 9 pounds...I am sure it would be fine for what I do...the Stihl fs110r has too much torque for me most of the time...at this point, I am questioning commercial equipment...spend 4 and 5 hundred dollars on this crappola and it spends time on the bench...my BR600 had trigger and run problems...

hillndale
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I've had a Stihl FS85R for a couple seasons. Works great. Very dependable engine. The FS85 is one of Stihl's most tried & true engines, similar to the FS80 pruner. It takes a lot of attachments, (power broom head, pruner, etc) and has the power to run them.

My only gripe is the horredous frickin' noise it makes. I have to wear ear protection, no matter what. It works fine, so not much point in buying something else. Although I think I would like a Redmax. When I see poeople using them (redmax), I don't hear the engine, just the string whipping around. That's whack.

hillndale:headphones:

mkwl
07-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Red Max all the way...best trimmers and blowers out there!!!IMO! I LOVE my Red Max trimmer and blower! Powerful, reliable, comfortable to use, and easy to maintain!!! Red Max!:usflag:

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 11:10 PM
I've had a Stihl FS85R for a couple seasons. Works great. Very dependable engine. The FS85 is one of Stihl's most tried & true engines, similar to the FS80 pruner. It takes a lot of attachments, (power broom head, pruner, etc) and has the power to run them.

My only gripe is the horredous frickin' noise it makes. I have to wear ear protection, no matter what. It works fine, so not much point in buying something else. Although I think I would like a Redmax. When I see poeople using them (redmax), I don't hear the engine, just the string whipping around. That's whack.

hillndale:headphones:

You SHOULD be wearing ear protection no matter what!
It just isn't optional.
You don't hear the engine on a Redmax?
Hmmm.............They make just as much noise as a Stihl.
I'm not interested in bashing Redmax because I believe they make a decent line of products, however the recent hullabaloo concerning Redmax has more to do with marketing than reality.
2 cycle equipment has been around for a long time with many good quality manufacturers producing it, it comes down to personal preference.

Most of the problems associated with poor performance on 2 cycle equipment from a reputable maker is due to poor maintenance and poor operating techniques.
That's just the plain facts.

lawnboy dan
07-10-2006, 11:32 PM
redmax and sthil do not use the same head. i dont like the sthil head cause you have to cut 2 =length s of line and wind them onto the spool seperatly. this takes too long when its 95 deg out and you run out of line. the echo type head is much eaiser to deal with and i am putting them on all my trimmers.

ThirdDay
07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
The newer Stihl stuff especially 4 mix does not hold up as well as their older 2 cycle stuff. Not even close.

Yes, this is from personal experience. I've used and tried just about everything. I was very partial to Stihl but have switched to mainly Echo and they have not let me down yet. Still have Stihl saws....they haven't ruined those as of yet.

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
redmax and sthil do not use the same head. i dont like the sthil head cause you have to cut 2 =length s of line and wind them onto the spool seperatly. this takes too long when its 95 deg out and you run out of line. the echo type head is much eaiser to deal with and i am putting them on all my trimmers.

No they aren't the same but they are quite similar in their function.

dvmcmrhp52
07-10-2006, 11:48 PM
The newer Stihl stuff especially 4 mix does not hold up as well as their older 2 cycle stuff. Not even close.

Yes, this is from personal experience. I've used and tried just about everything. I was very partial to Stihl but have switched to mainly Echo and they have not let me down yet. Still have Stihl saws....they haven't ruined those as of yet.

And in my opinion Echo produces nothing but junk...........(guess why I say that.....)
Personal preference as I've said above.
Use what works for you.............

6'7 330
07-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Stihl should rename the 4-mix, Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde.I guess ours show the good personality of the good Dr jeckell, because We have a whole sh!tload of Stihl 4-mix product.The engine has proved to be a powerful,reliable,fuel efficient, low down grunt powered engine.They get killer hours put on em, and perform reliably and flawlessly.The only problems were two ignition coils went out,which were fixed under warranty.

dvmcmrhp52
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Stihl should rename the 4-mix, Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde.I guess ours show the good personality of the good Dr jeckell, because We have a whole sh!tload of Stihl 4-mix product.The engine has proved to be a powerful,reliable,fuel efficient, low down grunt powered engine.They get killer hours put on em, and perform reliably and flawlessly.The only problems were two ignition coils went out,which were fixed under warranty.

Have you had any valve issues on your four mix engines?
Haven't gone to four mix yet but it'll probably happen soon..........

sawman65
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
those valves have to be adjusted guys, just like on the lawn mower engines if you dont do it they will have problems... hard starting, no starting, low power. when you bought those hand helds you should have got a gasket, bronze washer and a guage.

onerepairman
07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
so the bcz2600 is simalar to the fs80/85? Does the bcz2400 lack power? or does it have the power to get the job done.

6'7 330
07-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Have you had any valve issues on your four mix engines?
Haven't gone to four mix yet but it'll probably happen soon..........

Many of our 4-Mix engines have never had the first valve adjustment. The equipment that has had a valve adjustment procedure, was a easy deal for the shop guys to perform.If the trimmer, blower ,whatever starts running crappy, low on power,it is an easy usually one time adjustment.

dvmcmrhp52
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Many of our 4-Mix engines have never had the first valve adjustment. The equipment that has had a valve adjustment procedure, was a easy deal for the shop guys to perform.If the trimmer, blower ,whatever starts running crappy, low on power,it is an easy usually one time adjustment.

I sort of figured that to be the case, but others like to make it more of an issue than it may really be.
I've been waiting to get input from people that are using them more than just a little here and there..........

Thanks Bill.

lawnboy dan
07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
the bz 2400 redmax has tons of power. plenty for med duty comm use

lawnprosteveo
07-12-2006, 01:01 AM
I have only owned one Stihl product. So many guys seem to like them that I gave one a try.

I bought a Stihl HL100 hedge clipper with articulating head...this is the big 6' long sucker. It has the 4 mix engine.

Just after the warranty was up, it started running like crap. Hard to start...then wouldnt start. The dealer had to put a new coil in at a cost of $100 or so.

Now, just a few months later, it is hard to start again, and running really rough. Maybe I got a lemon....but Im out over $600 total on a piece of equipment I cant use.

Never had these problems with Shindaiwa or Echo...

S man
09-04-2006, 02:12 AM
i have used both stihl fs-80 and redmax bczs2600 , each have 25.4 cc and each are good trimmers but my personal experience and preference i think that redmax is better hands down! also i believe the redmax has two year commercial warranty where the stihl has one. also has to do with which dealer is closer ,maintenance ,parts etc.

Duh and the stihl fs80 has a "flex" cable shaft compared to the steel shaft on the redmax.

Just Mow
09-04-2006, 11:00 AM

If you are any good you can use one length of line and make one cut at the end when done winding it. I would rather use this head which I don't have to replace as often as the crappy echo head.

Just Mow
09-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I have only owned one Stihl product. So many guys seem to like them that I gave one a try.

I bought a Stihl HL100 hedge clipper with articulating head...this is the big 6' long sucker. It has the 4 mix engine.

Just after the warranty was up, it started running like crap. Hard to start...then wouldnt start. The dealer had to put a new coil in at a cost of $100 or so.

Now, just a few months later, it is hard to start again, and running really rough. Maybe I got a lemon....but Im out over $600 total on a piece of equipment I cant use.

I would go back to the dealer. The coil has a five year warranty.

Just Mow
09-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I sort of figured that to be the case, but others like to make it more of an issue than it may really be.
I've been waiting to get input from people that are using them more than just a little here and there..........

Thanks Bill.
I have about 20 pieces of 4-mix, some going on five years. Have only had to adjust the valves on one trimmer so far. No big deal. Done on the spot. The BR 600 blower had a problem that they have since fixed and the coil issue has been fixed. These units have more torque than anything out there and are very reliable. A lot has to be said about their dealer support as well.
Good luck.
Robert

Just Mow
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Have you tried the new HP Ultra synthetic oil yet.
Robert

Envy Lawn Service
09-04-2006, 11:40 AM

I would go back to the dealer. The coil has a five year warranty.

Yep, I would call Stihl and let them know their dealer is charging parts and labor for a repair that was under warranty. I guarantee you Stihl paid for it under warranty as well. So he got the part free from Stihl, plus money to do the repair, plus "$100 or so" from you to do a repair that takes all of 5 minutes start-to-finish.

Yeah I believe I'd turn him in on that one... and I think I'd ride over and get my "$100 or so" and take the unit elsewhere to have the coil replaced again.

MFin crook!!!

Envy Lawn Service
09-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Now my answer to the original question of this thread...

Well.... these guys can say what they want about RedMax trimmers.... After using some of them for a while, I think some of the units are pretty good and have some nice features....

However, they are no Stihl FS 85... not even close.

The RedMax BCZ2600 is in the same class. But after finally getting one started and warmed up ready for work.... it took me all of about 30 seconds for me to feel the difference in the build after running FS 85's for the last 4/5 seasons. The overall build is not as rugged and not as smooth. I can also see a lot of things that will hurt it when trying to get extended service life out of it.

I like the BCZ2600 trimmer once I get it running. The Strato-Charged engine screams, which I like. I also like the black 104+ head and the throttle lock is also a nice touch. It handles really well too.

But for me, what I can't get past is the starting and warmup. WHAT A PAIN. The first start every morning... my gosh... maybe you can get it to fire after 10 or 12 pulls. But then it will die after cranking and you'll have to try again.

Then, you'll have to hold it and let it idle a few minutes to warm up before you can do any work with it. Try to give it throttle too soon and it will just die.

Then for the rest of the day you can count on an average of 6 pulls to start it and a minute or two warm up before each trim.

HenryB
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Envy,
I agree about the warmup time. But all of mine always start on 1-2 pulls. Always.

Envy Lawn Service
09-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Envy,
I agree about the warmup time. But all of mine always start on 1-2 pulls. Always.

Well, the 2300 started well... but this 2600 didn't.
I turned the idle up to just before the head spins and it improved.

After that I made some mix for it with RedMax oil to see if it did even better.
Frankly, it has done nothing but go downhill since.
I thought it would have gotten better with break-in.
But it hasn't and I've certainly kept it long enough to break it in.

REALSLOW
09-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Well, the 2300 started well... but this 2600 didn't.
I turned the idle up to just before the head spins and it improved.

After that I made some mix for it with RedMax oil to see if it did even better.
Frankly, it has done nothing but go downhill since.
I thought it would have gotten better with break-in.
But it hasn't and I've certainly kept it long enough to break it in. They should make a Z2 weedeater?

S man
09-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Envy,

Just prime the damn bulb and pull! :rolleyes:

Turf Dawg
09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
i am new here, so i hope i do not mess up. i have two redmax 2600's and yes i like them. bought a stihl fs90 about six months ago. i like it better so i just bought another last week. all my trimmers get shindaiwa speedheads.

kmann
09-04-2006, 04:46 PM
None of this has been our experience.

Heavy and ill balanced?
Hard to change line?(redmax has the SAME type head)
Bad carbs?
Throttle design troublesome?
When's the last time you used one?
I've got to agree. My FS 100 seems well balanced and not real heavy. I like it.

kmann
09-04-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks Bill.
I run all 4 mix Stihl. Trimmers, Edgers,Blower and Hedge Trimmer. I think the more you use them the better they work. They can be tricky when its really hot. Sometimes they fire right up and sometimes they have to be primed even though they were only shut down for a little while.

jazak
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Redmax 2600s for me.:clapping: :weightlifter: :cool2:

walker/redmax
09-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Redmax 2600s for me.:clapping: :weightlifter: :cool2:
agreed!:drinkup:

David W
09-04-2006, 10:23 PM
i agree as well

Envy Lawn Service
09-04-2006, 10:36 PM