PDA

View Full Version : Steps are done

Green-Pro
07-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I posted some pics of a patio we completed a while back, said I'd post pics of steps we were asked to fab complimenting patio. The old stairs were made out of untreated wood and beginning to show signs of severe rot. I took a pic of the old ones but did not post it.

The walkway was already there we did not install that. I wasn't particularly thrilled to build to it, but we did the best we could with what we had. The treated 4 x 4's are for a handrail we will finish after the concrete sets up in the holes. No I'm not thrilled on the handrail either, original plan had a handrail made out of stone. Cost was an issue as these folks have already spent a great deal of money with us (full prop maint also). I did leave a ledge to possibly install the stone handrail at a later date.
Again not up to the elaborate caliber of some of you seasoned pros but we are learning and trying new things each time out.
Block is Brussels Dimensional, limestone/sandstone mix. Pavers are Brussels Block ,Prarrie. Both are Uni-Lock products.

Mike33
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Not to be negative and i dont care to post neative comments but, it looks like a disater to happen. I dont like doing steps for this reason. I do them with block as last resort, steps are supposed to be a standard size. Going up and down steps are mental when they are smaller or larger people fall. My mother has suffered 2 broken hips not pretty. When i do steps she always fits in my mind that they have to be perfect or i will not do them. On a primary step we have poured them between 2 walls. im sorry your steps look like a real challenge for use and i hope no one gets hurt. I think i would of actually installed a couple pre cast risers and had something more uniform.
Mike

YardPro
07-10-2006, 08:43 PM
i'll list some big no no's you did.....

you NEVER leave slivers (thin cut pieces) on the outer edge of steps.

you always use full pieces for an outer course, and they should be turned like a soldier course. all your cut pieces should be in the field or at the back of the steps.

kootoomootoo
07-10-2006, 10:00 PM
AS above on the slivers ....ive never liked using 2 dimensional as your riser (ie 8in). I'd have used 1 dimensional and 1 paver ...gives you 6 3/4in rise. Have to do 3 steps on this but looks like you had 24in to work with so a nice 6in step down from door. I might have done it more like this.

Drafto
07-10-2006, 11:42 PM
I posted some pics of a patio we completed a while back, said I'd post pics of steps we were asked to fab complimenting patio. The old stairs were made out of untreated wood and beginning to show signs of severe rot. I took a pic of the old ones but did not post it.

The walkway was already there we did not install that. I wasn't particularly thrilled to build to it, but we did the best we could with what we had. The treated 4 x 4's are for a handrail we will finish after the concrete sets up in the holes. No I'm not thrilled on the handrail either, original plan had a handrail made out of stone. Cost was an issue as these folks have already spent a great deal of money with us (full prop maint also). I did leave a ledge to possibly install the stone handrail at a later date.
Again not up to the elaborate caliber of some of you seasoned pros but we are learning and trying new things each time out.
Block is Brussels Dimensional, limestone/sandstone mix. Pavers are Brussels Block ,Prarrie. Both are Uni-Lock products.

Sorry, but would you mind taking the caution tape off the doors and sticking it on your steps? Those steps are a total liabilty and accident/lawsuit waiting to happen.

Dan

Green-Pro
07-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the constructive criticism guys, all your points are valid and well put (even yours Drafto LOL). This is our first attempt at building steps and constructive coments are a big part of helping us see our own shortcomings, I do appreciate it. As I mentioned we are trying new things to expand our learning curve. Tell you the truth after seeing and ripping out the wooden risers we replaced the liability issue really wasn't at the forefront of my mind.
I will absolutely be sure to consider you guys's sound advice in our future projects.
Thanks again for all comments.

Mike33
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Sorry, but would you mind taking the caution tape off the doors and sticking it on your steps? Those steps are a total liabilty and accident/lawsuit waiting to happen.

Dan
Im glad someone else feels like i do on steps.
Mike