PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Isuzu NPR

O'Dell Equipment Rental
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I currently have a F350 7.3 L. I use the truck to make deliveries, pulling approx 9,000lbs on a tag along equipment trailer. I am looking at a 2001 Isuzu NPR diesel. Not an HD. Do any of you use them? It has 94,000 miles and has an 11 ft flat dump. The dump is not really needed, the truck will be used only for equipment deliveries. Any ideas what the truck may be worth? Any Pros or Cons with the NPR's. Thanks for the feedback, and if your ever in Wetumpka, Al come see me.

ksss
07-10-2006, 08:36 PM
will it have enough power to pull the load your having to pull with your FORD?

Gravel Rat
07-10-2006, 11:12 PM
I really hope you have to hills where you live because a NPR or GMC COE 1.5-2 ton is going to struggle like you wouldn't beleive pulling a trailer. Most of those trucks have 4 banger rice cooker diesels they barely can handle the truck let alone a trailer.

If I was looking for a COE I would be looking for something with a 6 cylinder like a Hino 5 ton etc.

Scag48
07-11-2006, 03:01 AM
The NPR's don't have very big motors, that 4 cylinder diesel puts out about 190 horsepower, not very much at all. You really would be better off with your Ford.

I'd shop around for a used F550 7.3 with a flatbed towing deck. Those Jerr Dan bodies are awesome for deliveries since the angle of the deck when loading is almost infinately variable. Plus, with a 550, you'll get about 22,000 GVWR, the truck will weigh at least 12K, but you could put about 10K on the back of it easy whereas a standard NPR will only allow you to haul about 6,500 pounds.

Squizzy246B
07-11-2006, 05:31 AM
I just gotta say that you guys are generally totally obsessed with your so called "trucks" and horsepower. Those big V8's eat fuel like its going out of fashion and its hardly needed. Down Under we haul just as much, longer distances with about half the horsepower and half the fuel. Its all about gearing.

I don't know what size NPR you are looking at but they are one of the worlds most reliable trucks. Your fuel economy will be about 40% better. We have a 3 tonne model running around with a skid and carrying sand that regularly does better than 23 mpg....about 28 mpg out on the highway.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I guess none of you are too fond of NPR's except Squizzy. I have used one before and you actually have more control over the truck and trailer than with my F350. The exhaust brake and the steering radius are what I am really looking at. I realize that I won't be setting any speed records, but as long as I can do 45 mph in fine. I don't want any of my customers going any faster when they pull my stuff, so I might as well set a good example.

Squizzy, the mpg's you mentioned is that with a FRR? Do y'all have less stringent emissions than the USA? The heaviest thing I will be towing is an
L39 Kubota at 6600lbs and a trailer at 2800 lbs.

Any ideas what these trucks are selling for?
Thanks

Squizzy246B
07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Its an NPR 300 or 3 tonne model which will carry 6600lbs but I can't remember what its legal to tow. I am actually looking at a new NQR 4500 which will tow over 7700lbs easily. About 170 Hp which is absolute shirtloads for a little truck. A friend runs one on a country route every week at over 60mph all day with 9000lbs on the back and hes is getting around 20 mpg at these speeds.

http://www.isuzu.com.au/assets_dynamic//specsheets/108_24450PM/NQR%20450_ARK0175.pdf

The build quality and reliability is the real impressive part. A F250 costs nearly twice as much to buy, twice as much to run, has poor build quality and breaks down regularly. The only thing the Effy has going for it is a much bigger cab.

tnmtn
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
i think what is confusing for many of us in the U.S. regarding the isuzu's is that when you try to research their abilities there is nothing mentioned about how they tow. i went through this when i was shopping. i contacted isuzu and when speaking to their representative i kept getting the feeling that i knew more than he did about his product. it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling. on the other hand when you go to chevy, ford forums people were bragging about insane towing abilities that made my needs sound like no problem comparitively. i ended up with a dmax and have no regrets. i am still very curious how a isuzu would perform towing heavy but just can't put my money up for the experiment.
good luck,

HenryB
07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
My FRR Isuzu has a 10,000 lb payload. Will drag a small condo up hills. Why anyone would own a Ford or Gmc is beyond me. About 12-15 mpg and yes I've owned almost ever truck out there.

tnmtn
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
henry b,
what engine does your FRR have? is the FRR the same as the GMC T6500? glad to hear how yours is doing.

HenryB
07-11-2006, 06:58 PM
The NPR's run a 4cyl turbo diesel the FRR has the 6cyl. My npr 11000 gvw could easily go at 21,000lbs (Truck and load) My chevy 3500 series was dead at 16000. I know these are overloaded but just to give you an idea about capability. I feel the Isuzu's are underrated for their abilities.

Gravel Rat
07-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I know couple P+D guys that have had GMC W-4 and W-5 COE trucks they can pack a load but man they are slow as a snail. They climb our 10% grades like a 140,000lb super B train. The one guy I knew the best said he could eat his lunch and read half of a novel (book) climbing one of the hills in the area.

Now that Hino is making a small conventional cab truck I would really look at one of those before I looked at a COE truck. The Hino does look a little goofy because the winshield is huge but otherwise its a nice looking little truck. I looked one over really well 6 months ago if I was going to do P+D or more disposal work I would make the investment to buy a Hino.

all ferris
07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I used to work for a window company that has a small fleet of npr's. They were always over loaded and we drove the dog snot out of them and they did fine. I think the isuzu npr's are great trucks. The ones we used were 18' box trucks with 4 cylinder diesels. Always ran them till they had 200,000 miles and then traded for a new one.

gene gls
07-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I currently have a F350 7.3 L. I use the truck to make deliveries, pulling approx 9,000lbs on a tag along equipment trailer. I am looking at a 2001 Isuzu NPR diesel. Not an HD. Do any of you use them? It has 94,000 miles and has an 11 ft flat dump. The dump is not really needed, the truck will be used only for equipment deliveries. Any ideas what the truck may be worth? Any Pros or Cons with the NPR's. Thanks for the feedback, and if your ever in Wetumpka, Al come see me.

At least get a 6 cyl, my 4 cyl Mitsi is gutless. It cries looking at any grade. Its also short on brakes with a load,4-6000 lbs.

ksss
07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I am not dogging a NPR I have never owned one. My GMC 5500 has a Duramax with 5:19 gearing and is chipped. Considering what I pull I wouldn't want any less hp. I live at 4600 feet and work up to 9800 feet. Yea the higher hp drink fuel, but I need to pull what I need to pull. Your application may be different. I only offer the lack of hp as something to consider. You may not need the hp others do.

Gravel Rat
07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
The worst part about a low powered truck is if you are dragging a heavy trailer up a steep hill and something happens ahead of you and you have to stop your screwed. There is no way you will get the truck rolling again I doubt first gear would be low enough or enough torque to let up on the clutch pedal and its going to grab without stalling.

Those Isuzu cab overs are designed for inter-urban P+D where your not doing big speed limits your not pulling long steep grades.

Squizzy246B
07-12-2006, 05:46 AM
I am not dogging a NPR I have never owned one. My GMC 5500 has a Duramax with 5:19 gearing and is chipped. Considering what I pull I wouldn't want any less hp. I live at 4600 feet and work up to 9800 feet. Yea the higher hp drink fuel, but I need to pull what I need to pull. Your application may be different. I only offer the lack of hp as something to consider. You may not need the hp others do.

Kaiser, thats my point, you feel comfortable with the performance you have but you don't need it. Consider your rig versus a Road Train (Semi). Your power to weight ratio is about 5 times that of a 400 Hp semi which is shifting 70,000lbs....how much power do you really need?. Its mainly a factor of what you guys have been brought up on. If you want your rig to drive like a sports car then go for it. If you want a rig that will keep up with the traffic, more than exceed the speed limit and get to the job costing less in the same time than have a look around. If the japs could design a decent cab it would be all over. I like the size of the FXXX and GMC type rigs but they are overkill for many.

ksss
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
The difference between the semi and my truck is running the 400 hp through a 5 speed auto like mine, or the 8-18 speeds in a tractor trailer. Also the hp although similiar, the torque differences quite large. Mine chipped is around 600 ft my 444 cummins is over twice that. I will agree some of it is what your used to. However, when I started I pulled my equipment with a 6.2 L diesel. Good motor, but no power to speak of. It was dangerously underpowered with a load. Very difficult to merge with traffic or pull out into an intersection from a dead stop. I will stick with the higher hp tow rigs. To each his own.

Soreback
07-14-2006, 02:05 AM
O’Dell, I have a question that has nothing to do with yours? I have a passing interest in starting up a very limited rental operation with a very narrow scope. One reason is to utilize equipment that I already own more fully. I am not even sure if I know what questions that I should be asking? I do live in a small town area that is growing and is 12-15 miles from the nearest rental stores. I want to rent to selected customers and deliver by appointment somehow. I want to limit the inventory to just a few items unless of course I am generating the money to go further. Maybe a compact skid steer with attachments, dump trailer, a small TLB, pressure washer, aerator, stump grinder, mower, etc.

I have gotten to the point that I am making lists of questions that I need to answer otherwise it is just an idea. Is there anyone that does consulting on a budget that I could call? Do you have any thoughts for me? I do need to avoid trying to compete directly with Sunbelt, United Rentals, and Grand Rental Station which are all within 15-30 miles.

For what it is worth every one I ever talk to likes there NPR's, but from what I understand they do not tolerate any loading beyond their specifications.

notoriousDUG
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Personally I think the NPR is a throw away truck. They simply do nto last nor are they well built.

If you are looking for that style of truck look for one of the new LCF fords with the baby powerstroke in it, they are quite nice trucks.

O'Dell Equipment Rental
07-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Soreback you can e-mail me some questions to jonathan@odellequipmentrental.com or go to my website odellequipmentrental.com and e-mail me. It is a good business, but you have to be careful with things.