PDA

View Full Version : What's that screeching noise?

bugspit
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Sometimes while cutting on a unlevel surfaces and turning, I'll hear a screeching noise that I think is coming from the Hydraulic units. It sounds as if they are low on oil but they are not, actually I overfilled the tank to see If it makes a difference, just to have it come out the vent.

I guess it could be the trans belt or clutch, not sure, anyone else experience this?

I'll assume it's not good to cause it but, what can I do except get straight and level asap. :confused:

Less than 400hrs on a Scag Tiger Cub 48".

grass_cuttin_fool
07-10-2006, 08:23 PM
at about that amount of hours my hydro belt was really bad, it had chunks missing from it and at times under a hard pull it would slip and my hydros made some weird noises and had a bad vibration at times, I replaced the belt and no other problems

wayne

fixer67
07-10-2006, 10:25 PM
If you put a Hydro unit under a heavy load and the by-pass valves are not fully closed the pump will make funny noises. Make sure your by-pass vlaves are fully closed

MowerMedic77
07-10-2006, 11:11 PM
I agree with GCF on the belt also check the tensioner idler with the tension off make sure its spins free and smooth.:)

bugspit
07-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks, :waving:

Time for a lube job tomorrow so I'll check those items out.

dcondon
07-10-2006, 11:24 PM
don't overfill it because that can cause more damage they not having enough in there!!!!!:hammerhead:

bugspit
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
don't overfill it because that can cause more damage they not having enough in there!!!!!:hammerhead:
The manual says fill to 3.25" below the filler (it normally stays at 4") , I had it at 3" and it spews out the vent hole, at least on hilly properties.

But, even at 4" on a slope there's is plenty in the tank so it not likely to run low to cause the noise. That's what I was thinking, the pump ran short on oil on the slope and meeting the demand of turning, but I don't see how that could be. The above suggestions sound more logical.

Plus the oil change for the Hydro is like 500hrs, should be able to handle anything during that time I would think.