PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa

DJ Contracting
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok I had never heard of this line before today, but I was dropping off my weedeater for warranty work and the gentleman told me about this product (Shindaiwa). He was showing me the difference in weight and also told that many LCO's here use the weedeaters and backpack blowers, however their products are all made in Japan and well this time I'll have to stick with as much made in America.

newz7151
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok I had never heard of this line before today, but I was dropping off my weedeater for warranty work and the gentleman told me about this product (Shindaiwa). He was showing me the difference in weight and also told that many LCO's here use the weedeaters and backpack blowers, however their products are all made in Japan and well this time I'll have to stick with as much made in America.

The parts are made in Japan, the majority of the product is actually assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. In fact, they just recently expanded the location. So, you get nice Japanese quality in the engine where it counts.

Also, you say "here" like you are not from around "here". Where are you from?

BSDeality
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Shindaiwa makes some great machines. I'm phasing out my last non shindaiwa piece which is my Echo BP750 blower. I have both their 2stroke and 4stroke machines and they're both great. I have a little problem with one of my 4strokes, but its just the vavles that need to be adjusted which is normal for them.

jpp
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
They make a good trimmer that is for sure.I have the t 230 trimmers and those are sweet. Nice and light. But when it is time to replace I cannot get the 230 anymore. So I am not sure what I am going to get. Maybe the 231's but who knows.

J&R Landscaping
07-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I have a Shindaiwa T-20 Trimmer. ITs been around the block many times but still going strong.

lawnspecialties
07-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Shindaiwa likes and dislikes.

Likes: 1: My T-270 trimmer-I only use this when I need "big" power for the thick stuff.
2: My C4 split shaft with the tiller attachment (good 4 stroke torque for a tiller)

Dislikes: 1: My C4 split shaft with the hedge trimmer attachment (bad 4 stroke torque means sloooow).
2: My 2 Shindaiwa backpack sprayers. Look up old threads on backpack sprayers and you'll hear an earful about those stiff pieces of crap Goodyear hoses on them.

All in all though, a quality brand.:)

ThirdDay
07-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Shindaiwa used to be awesome equipment but the EPA is killing them.

None of their new 2 cycle stuff runs quite right and the 4 mix/ C-4 engine is nothing to get excited about either. The C-4 hedge clipper weighs a ton!

newz7151
07-10-2006, 11:58 PM
They make a good trimmer that is for sure.I have the t 230 trimmers and those are sweet. Nice and light. But when it is time to replace I cannot get the 230 anymore. So I am not sure what I am going to get. Maybe the 231's but who knows.

You should be able to get the 230 trimmer for a few more years IF you make it known to your local dealer before the preseason orders go in that you would be interested in one. Shindaiwa should be able to produce and sell enough of the clean units to still be able to make and sell the "dirty" ones for a little while longer.

DJ Contracting
07-11-2006, 12:43 AM

Uh Mid Michigan *newusflag*

AAELI
07-11-2006, 07:49 AM
The parts are made in Japan, the majority of the product is actually assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. In fact, they just recently expanded the location. So, you get nice Japanese quality in the engine where it counts.

Shindaiwa products are made in Japan. They are not assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. Tualatin is the wholly owned subsidiary of ShinDaiwaKogyo of Hiroshima, Japan. FYI, Their top of the line backpack blower is made by Redmax.

They have well engineered products that have come a long way since reaching U.S. shores over 20 years ago. Most of their units are shipped in one, two or three pieces depending upon the model. Usually an engine assembly, shaft assembly and handlebars for brushcutters or engine and shaft for trimmers. Still not assembled in Tualatin, unless you count a few screws at the dealer before selling as 'assembling'.

As a user since 1983, dealer from 1988 - '99, I have a little knowledge of the product line. I have sold over 6000 of their machines and serviced in excess of 15000 of these guys since '83. They are good machines that are only as good as the best dealer with parts available, like any brand made anywhere.

I have never been accused of having a 'humble' opinion.

Semper Fi.

lawnboy dan
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
eaisly the best quiptment i have had yet (except the 231)

gamble77
07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
That statement is wrong, their top of the line backpack blower is not made by RedMax. Redmax supplied the short block for the EB630 blower. However, Shindaiwa's top of the line blower is now the EB8510 and features Shindaiwa's exclusive C4 technology, something Redmax does not have.

driver5
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
*newusflag* I have a 630 model, i love it... actually, i have two 260 trimmer, a 231 combination unit, ( i cant remember the number on the hedge trimmer) but i have one of those too..

excellent equipment. you will never go wrong with shindaiwa

driver5
07-11-2006, 04:18 PM
question? who owns redmax.. never used their equipment... Is it good stuff...

I know that Toro owns Exmark, but they are two totally different machines.

What about redmax vs. Shindaiwa

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
question? who owns redmax.. never used their equipment... Is it good stuff...

I know that Toro owns Exmark, but they are two totally different machines.

What about redmax vs. Shindaiwa
i love redmax. their stuff i have used is absolutely bulletproof. some other guys reported issues with not wanting to start when hot i think, but my redmax stuff has ALWAYS started on the first or second pull. my trimmer has been out in the weather now for 3 years and the only repair made has been a recoil spring (broke the little curled end off where it is secured). i will never buy anything else if there is a dealer within 75 miles or so of me.

jpp
07-11-2006, 05:04 PM
You should be able to get the 230 trimmer for a few more years IF you make it known to your local dealer before the preseason orders go in that you would be interested in one. Shindaiwa should be able to produce and sell enough of the clean units to still be able to make and sell the "dirty" ones for a little while longer.

I was under the impression that they stopped making them all together. At least that is what one of the dealers told me.

JP

AAELI
07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
That statement is wrong, their top of the line backpack blower is not made by RedMax. Redmax supplied the short block for the EB630 blower. However, Shindaiwa's top of the line blower is now the EB8510 and features Shindaiwa's exclusive C4 technology, something Redmax does not have.

You are correct. I dated myself when I said their top of the line. The EB630 was just that a short time ago. Although Shortblock + would be more accurate.

C4 tech is indeed their own revival of old engine technology as they clearly state in their product briefs.

newz7151
07-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Shindaiwa products are made in Japan. They are not assembled in Tualatin, Oregon. Tualatin is the wholly owned subsidiary of ShinDaiwaKogyo of Hiroshima, Japan.
Semper Fi.

Please tell me then where the author of the following article got their information and photos of the assembly being done in Oregon.

http://www.poweret.com/vserver/hb/display.cfm?MagazineKey=1&IssueKey=451&SectionKey=2066&ArticleKey=5762

newz7151
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Please tell me then where the author of the following article got their information and photos of the assembly being done in Oregon.

http://www.poweret.com/vserver/hb/display.cfm?MagazineKey=1&IssueKey=451&SectionKey=2066&ArticleKey=5762

Too late for me to edit, but let me clarify here. We are both right.

*trucewhiteflag*

Depending on which product it is we are talking about. Units which arrive at a dealer in a 2 box format (powerhead and shaft) such as the T230 and T260 timmers (and chainsaws due to different bar length combinations) are simply shipped through Oregon. Products such as the T231, T261 and others which arrive to a dealer packed 2 units per single box, arrive in Oregon as seperate palletized components and are then assembled in Oregon and shipped out to distributors and the finally to dealers.

AAELI
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Too late for me to edit, but let me clarify here. We are both right.

*trucewhiteflag*

Depending on which product it is we are talking about. Units which arrive at a dealer in a 2 box format (powerhead and shaft) such as the T230 and T260 timmers (and chainsaws due to different bar length combinations) are simply shipped through Oregon. Products such as the T231, T261 and others which arrive to a dealer packed 2 units per single box, arrive in Oregon as seperate palletized components and are then assembled in Oregon and shipped out to distributors and the finally to dealers.

Thanks for clearing the air. Like I posted earlier - Shindaiwa products are only as good as the dealer you can get service/parts/info from. The differences between well made products - Pro products - are small. It comes down to your preference.

Shindaiwa does not make the bars/chains for their saws, they are sourced from Blount/Oregon products in the U.S.. Palletized cargo being matched up with another portion of the final product assembly is not generally referred to as assembling. But it is necessary for the product to reach its final stage for sale. For the sake of a truce I will concede that is assembling!*trucewhiteflag*

lawnprosteveo
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
I have the Shindaiwa T-231 trimmers, the EB-630 blowers and the 261 model stick edger.

They have all performed well. I dont like the original head that comes with the trimmer. It has about 6 pieces to it...but I recently switched to the speed-feed head and its pretty good.

I did have an issue with the trimmers where they were hard to re-start when hot. Took them to my dealer and they took care of it... they said this was common in the T231 but not the older T230.

The blowers have been awesome. No problems, just alot of power and easy starts.

BSDeality
07-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I did have an issue with the trimmers where they were hard to re-start when hot. Took them to my dealer and they took care of it... they said this was common in the T231 but not the older T230.what was the issue? I have a 231 that gives me fits sometimes when its hot, it will go weeks and then one day decide it doesn't want to start when its hot