PDA

View Full Version : New And have questions on seal coating. please help.

JEFFRIES
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I got a great deal on a seal coat machine and am looking into doing my driveway first and then a few jobs on the side for extra cash don't want to put a lot of $$ out at first and not really sure on the ratio of gallons/sqft for costing jobs. my drive is 1200sqft how many gallons would I need and how many sqare feet a gallon should cover. any and all extra advice would be appreciated. thanks:)

onahill
07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
1200SQ feet Is this a new drive or is it older?

If it is new it will need 2 coats and it will suck it up.

How much are you paying for bulk sealer?

We charge around $100 for 1000sq.

How far will a gallon of sealer go?
That will depend on the drive, the person sealing it and how it is applied.

Have you ever seal-coated a drive before?

JEFFRIES
07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
No I haven't seal coated before. I thought I would start with my own it is an older driveway and is roughly 2500 sqft. L shaped. I figured to do this size driveway would run roughly 30 to 35 gallons. I am buying the 5 gallon bucks from the store at $15/5 gallons to test the machine out it is an old machine and I could not get it to spray thin so instead of covering 400 -450 sqft as the bucket said it only coated 238 sq ft. LOOK GOOD however,

If I was to do this for a customer what would I quote. figuring $1.50/gallon in product how do you determine if a drive is going to need 1 to 2 coats.?

thanks for the help

Coater
07-15-2006, 09:10 PM
If going to do it, buy it in bulk form a dealer . the stuff in buckets is made user friendly thinned down and you don't know how long they have Been sitting on a self. Some of this stuff can grow bacteria. when it does it stinks and gets really thick but this thick isn't good. make sure you add at least three pounds of sand per gallon of UN diluted material.

JEFFRIES
07-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

ChicagoSeal
07-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Your best bet is to find your local dealer, as stated above. Then fill your tank up about 1/4 the way. Depending on how much sealer that ends up being, you can guage how much your driveway will take. You can do one coat, figure out how much it took, then the second, so you know what to charge for a single coat service or a double-coat. Add 3lbs of sand, then 4lbs of sand, then 5lbs of sand. See if you see a difference in coverage (you really don't need to do this but if you want all the details and like to crunch near-exact numbers, you should do this).

And if you're going to use the stuff out of buckets on your driveway (I wouldn't) you're not going to get an accurate idea of how much space it's going to cover, bc once you start sealcoating for real, you weill be buying a much higher grade sealer from a distributor that will end up costing you a lot less as well.

Depending on where you live, you may not have to go far for the nearest distributor. If you want to post the city or area, I may be able to help you find a decent place to buy sealer.

Check Brewer, Neyra and Sealmaster's sites and see if they have anything around you, those are three fairly good companies that sell high quality sealers. There are plenty of others, but those three should be a start.

onahill
07-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Another good place to get sealer from is your local hot-mix plant.

The local asphalt plant is probably your best bet for bulk sealer and supplies.

Coater
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
what kind of sealer can you get asphalt plant????

onahill
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
what kind of sealer can you get asphalt plant????
The locale plant around here offers a coal-tar emulsion in bulk.

Coater
07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
MMMM I'll have to check into that.

NPCA
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Average covereage is 50 sq. ft. per gallon of concentrate sealer. It varies some but that's a good "ballpark" for most brands.
Major manufacturers (not complete list but you should be able to find one or more of these) are SealMaster, Neyra, GemSeal, STAR, Brewer, and Vance.
Learn about proper use of additives and sand to do a good job.
We posted links to our site with articles about such things (application methods and specifications, additives & their use, sand, etc.) we thought would be very helpful for people like you with these questions but for some reason it was removed so we won't post it again.