PDA

View Full Version : Hydro WB problem - possible belt issue? Newbie question.

bdoss123
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Today I began having problems with my JD HD75 - Hydro WB. The unit has 580hours and after mowing for about a half hour today, I noticed that I was loosing drive on the left wheel when trying to turn. 10 minutes later and the problem was happening with both sides, finally resulting in no drive at all.

I see that there is a belt tension bolt that can be adjusted. I haven't messed with it yet, but it looked to be almost all of the way out (at the end of the bolt). I also felt around on the hydro belt itself, and it felt VERY warm, and kinda smelled like burning rubber.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
BD

ed2hess
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Gotta keep the belts tension tight...especially when it is adjustable!

lawnmaniac883
07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Well, before going and tightening the bolt up, check to make sure the belt is still in good condition and hasnt jumped off the pully. Then tighten that sucker up man and tighten it every 100 hours or so.

dcondon
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, before going and tightening the bolt up, check to make sure the belt is still in good condition and hasnt jumped off the pully. Then tighten that sucker up man and tighten it every 100 hours or so.

Yuppers, plus check your hydro oil level just for precautions.

bdoss123
07-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Does tightening the spring/bolt increase tension? Or decrease? FYI I got the mower used (for a great price) so it's not like i've been using it for all 580 hours without tension.

The belt didn't seem to have any chunks out of it, but it's kinda hard to feel around the whole thing.

- BD

bdoss123
07-11-2006, 10:25 AM
This morning I tried tightening the nut in about half inch increments. It got progressively better but still wont move much. It will go forward at a slow pace until it gets to a hill or I try to turn, then it starts "slipping" again. The nut is almost tightened to where it comes out of the frame, so I am thinking (hoping) it might just be the belt?

Any ideas?
BD