PDA

View Full Version : Can I make Money on This Job?

Wil22
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I had a call from a Dr. who may become a regular client ask me to clear this lot. I work solo and my question is , how would you do this job and please give me a ball park figure on this price.

I thought about walking away from this but now I'm thinking about ding this one. The Doctor said there are others in this new sub-division who want the same work done. They asked 'How Much does he charge?"

I thought about Prodigy from home depot, but that's not going to work. Then I thought about a Bob Cat, but another LCO told me that would be over kill.

Now I'm thinking about a Brush Hog, never used one before. I'm thinking a chain saw, brush hog and a day worker, 4-5 hours.

The deminsions are 60 ft by 75 ft. A lot of broken limbs on the ground.

mcwlandscaping
07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
thats land clearing work, i dont think a bush hog would work at all in that.....chainsaw and a big chipper is what ide use.

Dirty Water
07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
You want a Skid Steer with a carbide cutter attachment:

http://www.loftness.com/images/carbide2.jpg

wski4fun
07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
does clearing mean removing stumps. If not then I figure 1200-1500 if you can just chip it there and leave it.

Splicer
07-11-2006, 12:41 AM
The Pics suck...no offense...

Looks like chainsaw and brushcutter (NOT to be confused with a brush hog) to me...Rent a chipper...leave the stumps...will take longer than 4-5 hours...

Grass Man
07-11-2006, 12:43 AM
thats land clearing work, i dont think a bush hog would work at all in that.....chainsaw and a big chipper is what ide use.

.... At lease a 30 hp four wheel drive tractor with a tooth bar attached to the bucket and a chain saw. Along with a lot of stamina, that will do it :).

CutRight
07-11-2006, 01:02 AM
i would use my 12,000 lb excavator, a chipper, a chainsaw, and a few laborers.

Stafford Landscaping
07-11-2006, 06:01 PM
The Pics suck...no offense...

Looks like chainsaw and brushcutter (NOT to be confused with a brush hog) to me...Rent a chipper...leave the stumps...will take longer than 4-5 hours...

I agree better rethink that 4-5 hour thing if your going to do it with a chainsaw and chipper. Do you know what his expectations are on clearing this lot? Does he want everything cleared stumps brush etc. or just the under brush just to open it up a little.

Keytee04
07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
First things first... Doctors and Lawyers have large bank accounts because they don't like to part with it. Those professions seem to be the last in line to pay their bill. Also, this is going to take alot longer than 4-5 hours even with another person. Give a written estimate in detail (stumps ground or not?, brush removed or just chipped up and left?) Get a signature. This could be one of those jobs you severely underbid and get burned. Just some cautious advice.

DreamscapeDesigns
07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Our company does a lot of this type of work, in fact we have one crew almost 100% doing this.. Give me som every detailed info on what is to be done. I dont care about what not to do.. Just the specs the cust has I will post a bid in spreadsheet format tommarow if you get it on here by morning.. You are way low from the little info I got now.

Wil22
07-12-2006, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=DreamscapeDesigns]Our company does a lot of this type of work, in fact we have one crew almost 100% doing this.. Give me som every detailed info on what is to be done. I dont care about what not to do.. Just the specs the cust has I will post a bid in spreadsheet format tommarow if you get it on here by morning.. You are way low from the little info I got now.

The customer is to move in this house on Monday. She said she wants this area cleaned up so she and her daughter can walk in this area.
She said "the stumps can remain, I know how to get rid of those, I'll just put salt on them, so don't worry about removing the stumps. Just clean up the brush and take down the smaller trees.

As you can see from the photos there is a lot on dead wood laying on the ground.

When I went out to take a look at this property on Monday morning, there were other workers on the property. They had a guy in the back yard on a bob cat grading the yard. They cleared so much of the land and left the rest alone. This is a brand new home and the Dr. wants the rest of the land cleared. She only wants the small trees and brush removed. It's about 4400 sf.

The area of land thats already cleared in the back yard is maybe 2000 sf. Now she wants the 4400 sf cleared.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-12-2006, 12:10 PM
unless its very large trees, id use a chainsaw, brushcutter and a heavier 2000lb tractor with bucket, depending on if he wants grass there, a landscape rake etc.

i would charge around $1500 and a lot more if theres large stumps to remove.

climber
07-12-2006, 09:15 PM
If your doing that solo good luck with 4-5 hours maybe 4-5 days. Brush clearing isnt as easy as it may look. A brush-hog wont do jack with that stuff. You need a brush cutter with a brush blade (heavy duty trimmer.) A top handled chainsaw and a mid size chainsaw. Then a chipper to get rid of the brush and small trees. But thats with like a 3 man crew. But for you I would get a hydro-axe ( thats wat dirty water suggested) that would probably be the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

Solo without Hydro-Axe $2000
Solo with Hyrdo-Axe 1000

Dan

P.S. Salt wont do anything with tree stumps!

Ramairfreak98ss
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I

Solo without Hydro-Axe $2000
Solo with Hyrdo-Axe 1000

Dan

P.S. Salt wont do anything with tree stumps!

whats a hydro axe? your saying to charge half if he rents the machine?

DreamscapeDesigns
07-13-2006, 10:58 PM
It will not let me upload the estimate onto the forum. Give me your email add, and I will send it to you. It is an excel file. The total price for the job is $5,660.18 with tax. The job includes the following:

Removal of all dead, dieing & diseased trees. Removal of limbs to
6' high. Removal of all underbrush & grouped or clumped trees to 3"
caliper. All cut material up to 2" caliper to be chipped onto forest floor
to prevent weed growth. All other wood to be disposed of.

Wil22
07-14-2006, 07:57 PM
It will not let me upload the estimate onto the forum. Give me your email add, and I will send it to you. It is an excel file. The total price for the job is $5,660.18 with tax. The job includes the following:

Removal of all dead, dieing & diseased trees. Removal of limbs to
6' high. Removal of all underbrush & grouped or clumped trees to 3"
caliper. All cut material up to 2" caliper to be chipped onto forest floor
to prevent weed growth. All other wood to be disposed of.

Please send that to me @ WilliesLawnCare2@AOL.COM or PM

climber
07-14-2006, 11:24 PM
whats a hydro axe? your saying to charge half if he rents the machine?

Yes
I can rent a bob-cat with hydro-axe attachment for $400 and how much more would you charge without galging your costumer. And the reason for the machine being cheaper is because you would be there for about an hour ( it shreds everything up no chipper needed including up to 10" trees) and without it you will be there for a few days and no heavy equipment.

Dan

lawnmaniac883
07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
That is going to be alot tougher than you are thinking man. The bobcat w/ hydro axe is a good idea if you can find one. If you do get that then charge more than 1000 bucks. Gouge that customer!

jazak
07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I would say about a $2.75K-$4K job there no matter what you use.

Wil22
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Bob cat, Hydro Axe? I called a dealer and asked about a Bob cat.

ME: Do you guy's rent Bob Cats?

Dealer: Yes which one do you want?

ME: Size? Well here is the job I got........and can I get a Hydro Axe?

Dealer: If you are not experienced with bob cats and mess something up it could cost $3000.00 to repair.

Me: Well I have a guy who could drive it.

Dealer: No we don't rent the hydro axe because of the liability, but if you want to buy one I could get you one for about $20,000.00

After thinking about this matter I decided to pass on this one. I called the Doctor and told her I pass, I think it's a little more than I want to handle.

A few days later the lot was cleared.

I spoke with the doctor and asked?

ME: You got the lot cleared.

Doctor: Yes I did.

Me: Did the guy's come in with a bob-cat and shredder.

Doctor: Two guy's came in and I helped them. They had a chain saw and a high powered weed eater.

ME: A what?

Doctor: A weed eater with blades on it. It took them about a day.

ME: I figured this job would cost some money.

Doctor: I paid them $1200.00. I also want you to keep my yard up.

ME: No problem.

climber
07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Darn I was only 200 bucks off. And thats exactly what I said you needed for the job too!

Dan

Wil22
07-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Darn I was only 200 bucks off. And thats exactly what I said you needed for the job too!

Dan
Dan you was only 100.00 off I made a mistake it was $1100.00 not $1200.
That's pretty good. Thanks everybody for brainstorming this one with me. A new door of opportunity has just opened for me, and hopefully others.

jazak
07-22-2006, 11:23 AM
She's full of it. They came in there with a chipper and maybe a bobcat but definately a chipper.