PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a place to put grass besides the back of their truck?

duelly44
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
im fed up with using these damn brown bags to bag the grass in, the bags krinkle up, wind blows em over, and the grass catcher is 3 x as big as the bag...its the only thing our state allows us to put grass in unless youhave a dumpster to throw it in....

recently i have found a dumpster but still want a different idea of where to put the grass before it hits the dumpster besides in a brown bag or in the back of my truck (it will rot the metal back there plus i play beer league hockey and dont really like when my equipment reaks of grass)....i was thinking of welding four, 3 feet tall, 1 inch steel square tubes in a rectangular shape, in the front of the trailer and then washer screawing a big canvas tarp in a tub shape to hold the grass...what do you think? wood? metal? dont bother? any ideas, pics? smart ass comments are appreciated

thanks

2 clowns mowing
07-11-2006, 06:08 AM
my walker mower dumps my grass in the back of my dump truck then i haul it to a farm where in the fall they spread it over the fields:clapping:

General Landscaping
07-11-2006, 07:18 AM
smart ass comments are appreciated
Mulch it and leave it on the yard.
Leave the grass catcher hooked up for show and run mulcher blades with a block-off plate

MarcSmith
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=lb2

Never had to haul all the grass away before. but I did keep a large tree pot (25 gallon or so) in the back of the truck for the daily trash, branches, occasional clumps ect that i would encounter... it was nice to not have to have the junk blowing around in the back of the truck.

Check out a good nusery for a big pot...might get lucky...get it cheap...I go t mine after a tree install paid a deposit on it but never returned it...

Petr51488
07-11-2006, 08:12 PM
If you have the money, buy an extra open trailer and use it for just grass- Peter

lakesregionscapes
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Rubbermaid trash barrels; the round ones are pretty rugged, but you might find the rectangular ones tuck together tighter. Dump the clippings into the barrels as you mow (on the truck or trailer), and the barrels into the dumpster at the end of the day... You have a clean truck bed, no fighting saggy paper bags, and no fancy engineering. They'll last a couple of years with minimal fuss.

We're fortunate (or not, depending how the wind blows) to have a compost pile in our 2 acre yard, but we use the plastic barrels on the trailer or truck when there are clippings that need to be kept separate from the primary load (mulch, brush, plants or whatever) and there aren't any good places to "loose" them at the customers'. Some companies around here "bucket brigade" all their debris, all year. We prefer tarps whenever possible, but the barrels sure do have their uses. Of course, this season we've hauled dump truckfulls of grass every day, for 2 months. Nuts, for this area! (NH)

Idealtim
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
What about the short, round, tough green barrells that are in the back of everyones trucks?

mulcahy mowing
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
search for "brianslawn the unavailing" he's got it down...

mkwl
07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I use 6 of the big green barells, they are rugged, and I can fit a lot of clippings in them. When I fill up all 6 (usually every other day), I put them on my trailer, and dump them out at the dump. No messy clippings in the trailer, and the barells make the process a lot faster versus shoveling the clippings out of the trailer. I got my barells for around $35/each at Landscapers Supply.

NEPSJay
07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
this has been discussed many times before, and the same conclusion was always drawn. The best place to dump grass, or anything else for that matter, is in the rivers and streams. It helps the food chain.......

WGASA
07-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Sounds like the thing to do then. If more LCO's are in jail, then there's more work for the rest......

zim bob the landscaper
07-15-2006, 03:48 PM
you could get a load handler. we got one and its real easy to use. very good investment. you could also use it for mulch. gravel and small loads of loam. i recamend it only $89.99 at sears.

TheLawnBarber
07-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Luckily I live in a heavy agricultural town and theres many feed lots that accept landscapers to dump their clippings for the cows to eat. Look around if farmers ranchers etc want landscapers to dump clippings for their cows to eat.

NEPSJay
07-19-2006, 10:12 PM
thats a great idea....poison the cows with herbicides and pesticides :dizzy: :dizzy: ....it'll give my steak more flavor. dump it in the rivers and be done with it.

Signature Landscaping1
07-21-2006, 04:25 PM
This is where all of my clippings are dumped, out back. After Dumped up here, they are spread around with the skid steer.

WGASA
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
thats a great idea....poison the cows with herbicides and pesticides :dizzy: :dizzy: ....it'll give my steak more flavor. dump it in the rivers and be done with it.
That's a great idea...poison the fish and wildlife and clog up the rivers and streams...can you say illegal. Please consult your local Conservation or Game Department for education concerning dumping more vegetation in rivers and streams - greater impact than you think. thx

At least it's recycled to the livestock directly...if they're fed 'clean' grass = great idea....just another hay operation.

bbailey
07-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Find someone in your area thats has large gardens for vegetable growing. They use it to put around their plants and it works 100% to keep the weeds down. Plus at the end of the season when it is all decomposed they can rototill it in and it helps the soil. I have been giving to a few people in my area for years and they always accept it!

Idealtim
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
As your driving from job to job, leave the tailgate open and just slowly dump the bed LOL! But seriously, there is a dropoff in my back yard and can only be seen from my backyard. Dump it down in and forget about it. its great for this sort of thing and leaves in the fall. It'll never fill up, the edge just gets farther and farther away!

just Cuts
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I have a friend with 80 acres behind his house.He allows me to dump out back and I cut his yard each week for free,cutting takes about 15 minutes.:weightlifter: