PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding old ransomes walk behind

nbuzz
07-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Ok, I'm new to the site and I have some decent equipment on hand since I've been doing this for about 2 years. all my equipment is almost new except for my 36'' belt drive ransomes wb. It mows great, but its a pain in the ass to use. I don't know how old it is, ITS ANCIENT. the motor is a POS, old 10hp tecumseh L-head, and there is no transmission, it has a variable pulley speed setup. even the vs pulley is broken (now its a single speed). no safety features and the manual blade control allows the blades to kep spinning after disenagement.

My goal is to replace the motor, and repair some of the other things that are damaged.

Can I put a actual transmission on it? or get a new variable speed pulley?
Is there any way to update the controls and the drive pulleys?
the front castors are the old type, any way to get the new style?
And any ideas on the blades?

MowerMedic77
07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi welcome to Lawn site, I never understand these kind of posts, IMHO I would not waist time or $ fixing this unit but again its not my $ or time we are talking about. Most new 36 w/b are not that expensive most in the $2,000 range or less, but you will have a new mower with a warranty instead of spending money on a new motor,trans, pulleys, controls, safety's, belts,casters etc. and never fails once you start spending on a project you never stop soon you will have spent more then the new mower. I hope this helps but I am sure some more people will post and give you some other view points. I have no agenda and I am not trying to sell you a mower I just try and look at it from a business view point you can spend the money now and turn around and make that money back and more with a new mower or you could spend the money piece by piece and the down time of installation if you are doing this job yourself or paying ever more to have a shop retrofit all these items and still have an old mower with some new parts and usually a 90 day warranty for parts and labor.

nbuzz
07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Its probably smarter to buy a new one, I just thought I would only be spending about 700-800 total instead of 2000 or more. I would want to get a zt or a hydro instead of a new belt drive, which would set me back more. The other thing is that my mower probably only worth about 200 bucks, I'm telling you the thing is beat.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I have to side with mowermedic77 on this one. If you are like me, it is always tough, regardless of cost to justify spending the money for new.
However, if you _are_ in the business, look at the image you present when you arrive at a job site with a baling wire special. If you are not in the business, I assure you, the peace of mind knowing how much better your chances are of not having to work on your machine each and every time you use it, still makes new, a bargain.

LindblomRJ
07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Take the money you would spend to fix the old mower buy a new or newer used machine. Not worth the time for all needed repairs you listed. If it was an engine I might think about it.

lawnmaniac883
07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Buy a new 36'' toro T-Bar walkbehind. Very EASY to use and you wont have to worry about anything going wrong. Prices vary but 2500 should get ya one.

Or, if you have a gravely dealer in your area then I would recommend a Pro G with ProSteer. MSRP is 2600, one could be had for 2500 if ya ask. Both of these mowers are very easy to use and leave an excellent cut. http://www.gravely.com/gravely/products/walk+behinds/pro+g.asp

Jim@MilkyWay
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh, Err, Uhmm
Sorry, I forgot to mention sumpin' in my earlier post.
Like MowerManiac77 said; welcome to the site.:drinkup:

nbuzz
07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Well it looks like I need to make some more money. To upgrade! Anyone have any ideas on a new mower? something that is simple and easy to service and run.

LindblomRJ
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Are you charging enough? Check out the Quick 36.