PDA

View Full Version : How do you'll drop customers

clallen03
07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a client that I have really gotten tired of. I send her a bill every month like clock work for the same amount. The problem is when it is time to pay she never sends her payment to me on time. I always have to call her about the payment and she says "When you come to cut the grass I'll have your check for you". When I get to the house she send her 9 yr old son out to give me the check 15 min after I show up. Im fed up with this client and Im ready to drop her. How would you'll go about it?

Also Im having another problem with late paying customers. When they pay late, I suspend the service until payment is received. The problem with this is is throws my shecdual off big time and by the time I get to the the lawn it is over grown and take forever to get back to were it was. This month almost all of my clients paid late and now my schedual is out of wack. What do you'll do about this?

Thanks

chimmygew
07-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Charge late fees and let them know that it is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
for the most part, i don't bill. i have worked out secure hiding spots with all of my customers and for the most part, they're pretty good about leaving a check. once in a blue moon, someone will forget and all it takes is a reminder call and it will be in the mail or if it is more convenient, i'll stop by on my way home. i had one this year who "forgot" three weeks in a row, called him and told him "no check, no cut" and he swore it would be in the place we discussed. guess what? it wasn't. i did it anyway against my better judgement and finally caught up with him at 10:30 that night and got my check. he started talking about other stuff he wanted done and i let him finish. then i told him that it sounded interesting and i was sure there was a guy somewhere who wanted to do it for free, but it damn sure wasn't me. his jaw dropped, i got in my truck, and smiled all the way home. i cancelled another one last year by telling him "i simply don't have the time to give your property the attention it needs". i try to be nice, as i would rather not have anyone bad mouthing my business.

ProStreetCamaro
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Charge late fee's to any of our 70+ customers and they will drop you right on the spot and get Julio, Juan or any one of 1,000+ hispanic LCO's in the area to do their lawn. I dont know how you guys survive with some of your "policys" because that shiat doesnt fly around here. We have about 5-7 that we have to go collect from every other month. They always pay but we have to physicaly collect at their front door. The thing is they never complain and they never fight about paying. They are just always late. Sometimes it is nice to go collect one day on 5-7 people and get 2 months worth out of all of them. Thats a nice little chunk of change in 1 day.

Just remember guys. Your olny the lawn guy and your at the BOTTOM of your customers list of things to pay.

Sandgropher
07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I am the same as Brendan , secret hiding spots, no money no mow is the policy but if they forget(regulars) i will pick it up when going past next. *aussieflag*

Ramairfreak98ss
07-11-2006, 01:59 PM
i have late fees too $5 but it works, if i have to call them up or stop service, theyll defnitly get a late fee.

K&A Lawncare
07-11-2006, 02:02 PM
If you are wanting to drop a customer in a non confrontational way increase their bill each month until they find someone new to use

WJW Lawn
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
No late fees...Camaro is right....you'll get dropped fast....but then again if you dont want the lady anymore....charge a late fee. Secret hiding places for me too...the customers that intend to pay dont care...and the ones that never intend to pay do care, but I dont care cause I leave.

clallen03
07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Late fee or not it still screws up my schedual when I suspend services until payment is received. What do you'll do about that?

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Late fee or not it still screws up my schedual when I suspend services until payment is received. What do you'll do about that?
find more work. that is seriously not a smart a$$ answer.

LwnmwrMan22
07-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Switch to only commercial work that pays within 30 days.

I've worked into it over the last 8 years and am down to one last residential customer, and that's only because it's a house that's been for sale for 2 years.

I'm just hanging on until the house sells.

Once you're out of the residential work, 98% of your headaches will be gone.

Mower For Less
07-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Why should it be your fault that they paid late? Make sure if there service was interrupted that they pay accordingly to restart it and make it look like it should. In my opinion this should be at least equal to what it would have cost to skip them in the first place, if not more. And yes, I do charge late fee's, but I only charge them at my discretion. The majority of my customers pay on time, and 98% pay within 30 days from invoice (my terms are net 15 though). I do not charge them a late fee for being a slow payer. I will usually even let the second invoice go out without a late fee either, although I will be in contact with them to find out what the situation is. However, if they are repeat offenders, they will incur late charges.

Kevin

ProStreetCamaro
07-11-2006, 06:15 PM

We dont suspend service because we know they will pay. Do you think suspending the service will hurt them? No because it is only grass and thats how most people view it.

ProStreetCamaro
07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Switch to only commercial work that pays within 30 days.

I've worked into it over the last 8 years and am down to one last residential customer, and that's only because it's a house that's been for sale for 2 years.

I'm just hanging on until the house sells.

Once you're out of the residential work, 98% of your headaches will be gone.

Unless your like us and had to take 3 commercials to court to collect. Those were our first and only 3 commercials and we sued them all and won. We didnt do anything wrong or out of the contract. They got later and later and finally just stopped paying.

Kickin Your Grass
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Charge late fee's to any of our 70+ customers and they will drop you right on the spot and get Julio, Juan or any one of 1,000+ hispanic LCO's in the area to do their lawn. I dont know how you guys survive with some of your "policys" because that shiat doesnt fly around here. We have about 5-7 that we have to go collect from every other month. They always pay but we have to physicaly collect at their front door. The thing is they never complain and they never fight about paying. They are just always late. Sometimes it is nice to go collect one day on 5-7 people and get 2 months worth out of all of them. Thats a nice little chunk of change in 1 day.

Just remember guys. Your olny the lawn guy and your at the BOTTOM of your customers list of things to pay.

WELL SAID..........

Frontier-Lawn
07-12-2006, 11:29 AM
heres what i mail out to my clients if they get to much pita in them

Brendan Smith
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
heres what i mail out to my clients if they get to much pita in them

that's a good letter. there are some grammitcal errors though. i would correct them to make it more professional, but that's what i get for being an english minor. it darn sure gets the point across.

lawnwizards
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
heres what i mail out to my clients if they get to much pita in themdamn, that letter is straight forward and to the point..:waving:

Frontier-Lawn
07-12-2006, 11:41 AM
heres my other 2 i also use some times

Brendan Smith
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
in the immortal word of chris farley "meee likey!!!!"

Frontier-Lawn
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
i give them 2 chances most times to behave if not can you say bye bye :waving: