PDA

View Full Version : Scag Velocity Deck (25 hp Kawasaki)

moremow
07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I have heard some good things about the scag wildcat. Has anyone here tried the Wildcat with the "velocity" deck yet or any of the scags with that deck. I have tried a jd757 John Deere 54" deck with a 25 hp kaw motor. And it did a pretty good job. The 757's rpms are around 16,000 i think and i believe a lot of others are near 18,000. If anyone has tried any of the scags recently please let me know how you think the tork is and how it cuts in damp and dry condtions. Thanks,,moremow

jkingrph
07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Got a wildcat a few weeks ago, 52" velocity deck, cuts great but a bit of blowout in front. Have 26hp Kawasaki so plenty of power. I am homeowner so have not have had much experience with it,not having cut in damp conditions, dry is fine. Am letting grass grow taller and will cut about 4-4.25 for the summer. Went from John Deer Lx277 lawn tractor and the wildcat is not only much faster but my neck and back do not hurt from twisting on steering wheel.

Jeff

tacoma200
07-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I've only heard good about the new Velocity deck. I just got off a 27hp 60" cut demo. The only thing I didn't like is the handles are hard to push (alot of dampening) and it rides like a road wagon. Well built, solid preformer, just a little stiff even with the deluxe seat. Taking some of the air out of the tires would probably help, not sure how much the dealer had in them but it was too much. I have Scag dealers close by and the only reason I am looking at the Hustler is it is smoother and rides better (plus cheaper).

Audrey
07-11-2006, 11:26 PM
moremow- There's several posts pertaining to the new deck. Except for the anti-Scag guys, they're positive.
I have a new 61" Tiger. I like it very much. The difference between the old deck and the new is remarkable.

Tacoma- Feel it in your triceps do ya? :laugh: You get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore. I will give you that it feels big. My first impressions coming off the Ferris and the eXmark were that I felt like I was throwing the front end around. It seemed like it lumbered out there, even though it wasn't. I DO notice a difference between the 27hp and the 35hp. Mine snaps to attention more. Like the eXmarks do. The 27hp gave the impressions that I noted above. Is there a 35hp version around for you to try? There's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. I'm not saying it feels like an eXmark, just a little closer to it than the 27hp version. I will also say this when I demoed the 27, I didn't tear stuff up like I do with the 35. I'm glad the dampeners are the way they are. I wish they were adjustable. I'd like to try it heavier.

I don't understand smoother.

The seat is the same, still a different ride?

A

LLandscaping
07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
We have a Turf Tiger 52/27 Kohler with the Velocity deck. There is no comparison between it and the advantage. We have cut wet grass with very little clumping and it disperse the clipping great.

tacoma200
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
moremow- There's several posts pertaining to the new deck. Except for the anti-Scag guys, they're positive.
I have a new 61" Tiger. I like it very much. The difference between the old deck and the new is remarkable.

Tacoma- Feel it in your triceps do ya? :laugh: You get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore. I will give you that it feels big. My first impressions coming off the Ferris and the eXmark were that I felt like I was throwing the front end around. It seemed like it lumbered out there, even though it wasn't. I DO notice a difference between the 27hp and the 35hp. Mine snaps to attention more. Like the eXmarks do. The 27hp gave the impressions that I noted above. Is there a 35hp version around for you to try? There's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. I'm not saying it feels like an eXmark, just a little closer to it than the 27hp version. I will also say this when I demoed the 27, I didn't tear stuff up like I do with the 35. I'm glad the dampeners are the way they are. I wish they were adjustable. I'd like to try it heavier.

I don't understand smoother.

The seat is the same, still a different ride?

A
No big complaints, I could get used to the handles (I got the biceps and triceps) but the 27/60 with the deluxe seat was just a very rough ride. I'm not sure why. I adjusted it to my weight. It just jarred me trying it out in the parking lot and on a small area of lawn. It was a tiger so it was probably lighter than yours. I went back twice to try it out thinking it was just be my imagination but the ride was much firmer than my Exmark and even much more than the Huster (which has four air filled tires) plus the flex forks option. In fact the Hustler without the flex fork just floated across the parking lot even with out the flex forks at full speed. Could have been too much air in the tires on the Scag. Salesman was worried about putting hours on it, he said customers want a new one not one with 4-5 hrs on it. Heck, I didn't even engage the blades. Also they had the Scag priced at $9600. That's alot for a 27/60. Not enough competition to get the price down I figured. I'm not knocking Scag, I like them, I just have some very rough lots so ride is at the top of my list. They really don't level the lots around here like they should. They just build a house (or subdivision) in old hay and pasture land and stick a house on it. They seed a bit around the house and baically your mowing what used to be a field. I wouldn't know how to act on a level smooth lot. All good mowers I tested but I really need one to smooth out the bumps on some lots. That was the only Scag they had so my choices and test drives were limited. I'm sure the larger one's would ride better and of course most places in the country are not as rough. I will go Hustler mainly because of the ride.

Audrey
07-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Ahhh..ok flex forks! I forgot about those. DOH! :)

Mine's a Tiger too. IIRC the weight difference is about 100lbs? It's the same frame size though. I also took my rops off.

Geez, I don't feel a thing going across a parking lot. I wish we were closer than 3 states! I'd be glad to let you take mine for a punishment drive. Maybe it's me? My other Tiger is brutal. It should come with a kidney belt from factory. I guess I'm used to that so the new one seems smooth as glass? I hear you with a rough ride. There were a few times when I actually hurt getting off the old machine. It's a good day when I can walk completely upright or not feel excessive tingling when I climb down off it.

I do remember hearing that Hustler was planning on making flex forks available for other manufacturers.

The salesman was worried about hours? I'm one of those picky ones who wants zero hours on my new machine. HOWEVER, I'd tell the SOB to have a demo unit if he is indeed any kind of a dealer. You want to sell one or not? There's demo programs offered to them. I'm running the blades and cutting with it too. If not, see ya! There's always somebody else. I'm not spending that kind of money on speculation.

I don't blame you on pricing. I paid $9600 +tax for my 35 hp.

Enjoy the Hustler! :) I never got to drive one. There's only one dealer somewhat near me. That factored in as well as vertical crank engines. Everyone seems happy with them though. Hopefully there's another dealer here when it comes time to replace my other tiger. I'll check them out.

A

tacoma200
07-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Audrey thanks for your reply. Living in a small town with mostly small dealers within driving distance makes it hard to try all the models I would like. Like I said he may have just had too much air in the tires. At that price I wasn't too interested anyway. I'm sure I could have talked him down under 9g but he doesn't even want you to test drive it. The Huster dealer said drive it all you want. It will clean.

moremow
07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I read all of the posts on the scag,I appreciate everyones help. I have had major back surgery done about 15 years ago and too rough a ride would not be the best of things. However I will look to demo one and evaluate some of the things you folks have pointed out to me. Will also try an exmark and of course the new Hustler as well. Once again thanks for your help and input. Sincerely: Moremow

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
07-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I have had my tiger cub 48/25 for two months now and have cut thick bermuda, tall tall grass (16") and everything in beween and have not had the first problem with clumbing. Not even when I show up 30mins after a rain storm. I would def. recommend scag. The Exmark may be a tad softer ride and maybe a tad better cut, but it is negligble compared to how well built the scag is. The only complaint that I had with my scag was that there was too much resistance when pulling the stearing arms into reverse. I kept studing the reason and there is one spring covered tension spring that is right behind the sticks. I took a wrench and removed it. I can now turn around with out pinching turf under my stationary tire. It made a world of difference. I recomend it to all scag owners.

tacoma200
07-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I read all of the posts on the scag,I appreciate everyones help. I have had major back surgery done about 15 years ago and too rough a ride would not be the best of things. However I will look to demo one and evaluate some of the things you folks have pointed out to me. Will also try an exmark and of course the new Hustler as well. Once again thanks for your help and input. Sincerely: Moremow
If you have a bad back the Hustler especially with the flex forks is worth a look. The Ferris is also know for a good ride with independent suspension. My Exmark is a little stiff even with the supspension seat but handles great. My Hustler with the flex forks is the softest ride I've been on yet.