PDA

View Full Version : Slow Dealers? how longs it take on average?

Ramairfreak98ss
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
When you order parts your dealer doesnt have, how long does it take?

Ive ordered aluminum baggers, took 7-9 days
parts for Redmax trimmer repair 12 days
Muffler shield for my Ferris 2005 model mower with 40hrs on it, 6 days, talk about being out your main machine for almost a full week b/c they send the wrong part and take 3 days to ship :(

Now i ordered a full mulch kit for my 61" mower deck, i called about it on 6-27, finally got in there to prepay the 100% full amount on 6-30, theyre still telling me today, theyre gonna call to find out where its at on 7-11-06, common its damn near 2 weeks now. Its only one baffle part and a plate direct from the manufactuer. I just feel like its always a waiting game with this place. If i wanted to wait a week or longer, ill just order everything online :hammerhead: :confused:

saw man
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Funny how you bash the dealer and not who they ordered it from. Once the order is placed it is out of there hands. Backorders happen and its not the dealers fault.

Charles Odell
07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
With my Deere dealer if it's not in stock ,and part is ordered
before 3 pm it is there 7 am next day ! Also if they don't have
the part in stock and it is keeping you from mowing you
get a free loaner. Can't beat that Deere service:usflag:

DJL50
07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I get my Toro parts in 1 or 2 days. I waited almost a week for a Toro part that service dept. was going to order. Talked to the parts guy. Said "they did not order anything" He ordered it and had it next day. So much for the dealer never at fault.

I do know that some dealers will order parts once or twice a week to lump orders together to save on shipping. If they order on Mondays and you walk into a place and order it on Tuesday, your order will sit till next Monday before it is placed with the MFG.

bam
07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
i know at least exmark has overnight parts availability. just like the john deere it sounds like, if the part is not there in a certain amount of time it is paid for the dealer/distributor and if the manufacturer b/o it, then it is on them. keep in mind though, some parts become tricky, with engines and hydro pumps etc. It sometimes involves another vendor on top of the manufacturer.

Most of the owners manuals will tell you parts policies, etc. I know Exmark does.

If your local dealer cant help you or is too slow to repair you might have to look farther away and maybe see where a large regional or national company does business. Most will not stand for long delays with equipment.

newz7151
07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
i know at least exmark has overnight parts availability. just like the john deere it sounds like, if the part is not there in a certain amount of time it is paid for the dealer/distributor and if the manufacturer b/o it, then it is on them.

Problem is, most customers balk at the $20 or more charge for overnite shipping. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't expect to get it fast.

tallimeca
07-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Problem is, most customers balk at the $20 or more charge for overnite shipping. If you don't want to pay for it, then don't expect to get it fast.

It all depends on how far the dealer is from their distributor. Most dealerships are forced to deal with area distributors, or warehouses. If they don't have it in stock at the distributor, the dealer has to wait for the distributor to place an order with the factory, which could take a week. Then when they get it , they ship it to the dealers. Then you have what ever you standard fed ex, ups, dhl, ground delivery time is. Sometimes it could be 1 day if you are in the same zone. Sometimes it's as long as 5 days...and if a weekend falls in there, it seems like forever.

When I order parts for customers, i tell them if it's in stock in the warehouse, it'll be 1-2 days. If it's not in stock, it's usually 10-14 buisness days. If it's on a factory back order (waiting for the factory to actually manufacture them), then it's when ever they show up because there's no eta on when they will be available.

If it's an emergency repair, i'll give the customer the oportunity to pay overnight shipping, and extended costs. Some OEM's charge the dealer retail price for drop ships, so then i have to pass that , as well as the next day, or second day air on to the customer.

I always recommend to my customer if you need it bad, but not an emergency, go with 2nd day air. It's so much cheeper.

Exmark will ship overnight if the order is in by 4. Customer to pay overnight. If they don't have it in stock in the factory, they will go take it right off the assembly line and ship it. It's happened.

Kawasaki sends all their standard orders 2nd day air standard. I wish more could follow but with the cost of fuel and rising costs of ups and fed ex, you can't blaim them for not.

Most of my suppliers have a minimum shipping charge of 6.95. Some are higher. I charge flat rate, 8.95 shipping and handling for all special order parts. It's less then a break even, but it helps absorb some of the cost.

You order in a dozen blades for a customer, charge them 9 bucks for shipping and the actual cost because of weight is closer to 20 bucks!!!

Grass catchers are the worst. Guys who order bags for stuff i'm not a dealer for, i'll order in, but the shipping is close to $30 a piece. Stuff like that i usually charge them half price and split it with them.

jt5019
07-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Took my dealer 9 days to get a belt in for my Scag ztr.

David Haggerty
07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
3 (working) days maximum. And that's if it has to come from Toro the manufacturer. I have the option of UPS to the house. Not quite as good as JD or Exmark.

You should see the warehouses DHL has here in Wilmington. They rent space to different companies who stock parts right at the airport. If they get a call for a part before a certain time, say 6:00 pm, the part goes on the plane that evening and the customer has it tomorrow. They call it Instant Inventory.
They say it proves it's self cost wise because manufacturers need to carry a lot less inventory and it eleminates production overruns.

It'd be nice if mower manufacturers used it.

Roger
07-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I have said in another thread a few months ago, and will say it here again. I think the business model for parts needs some tuning. The idea of going to the dealer, ordering the part, then returning at another time to pick it up, ... that model is outdated. No, not in all cases, but in most cases. Some of the days for turnaround mentioned here in this thread have been my experience too. I have been quoted 7 or 10 days, or a time similar. I can return home, pick up the phone, and have the part at my door 2 or 3 days later.

I think the dealer is having to pass these parts through a heirarchy of channels, such as the district warehouse, regional warehouse, etc.

Why has this model been outdated? This is a model that has been in place for decades. Now, in recent years, shipping has been changed significantly. Ten, twenty years ago, the UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc did not exist in the form of today. Large warehouses have parts inventory the smaller warehouses cannot afford to keep. The large ones are able to service more people, and therefore can keep stock of different parts because of overall demand. The online ordering and shipping strategies are so much different.

Oh yes, I would like to patronize the dealers. But, if something is needed and the dealer must go through their channels, it may take many days, AND I have to pay for "special order" in the end. It sounds like some dealerships, e.g. Deere, has been able to solve much of these problems.

Look at the large stores online for various consumer goods. A simple order is filled quickly, on the UPS (FedEx) truck that evening, and on its way to the consumer.

I am presuming that equipment owners are smart enough to read drawings and order the parts correctly. Herein may lie a major problem. However, often the person behind the parts counter at the dealership may have a problem reading the drawings for your piece of equipment -- they are confronted with attempting to read drawings for many, many pieces of equipment and may not be as familiar with your item as you, the self-mechanic. I had training in developing such drawings long ago as part of another career, so I may be oversimplifying the matter. For me, I am usually better able to read the drawing than the person behind the counter, but I have to remember I am the one who is focused on one item, I am the one who used the tools to take it apart, repair it the last time, etc. That gives me a huge advantage.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Funny how you bash the dealer and not who they ordered it from. Once the order is placed it is out of there hands. Backorders happen and its not the dealers fault.

They take this long with everything, service on eqiupment and ordering, its not just this one time or from Ferris or whomever they order from. They dont call and say, sorry its still not in, it shipped on such and such date. The last time i ordered something, my blade blocker kit which im now selling unused, 9 days went by, nothing, i call them up the next week now 15 days gone by, OH YEAH IT CAME IN, like DUR, you got my # on file and my reciept, FAWKING call me?

Sammy
07-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Most of my suppliers have a minimum shipping charge of 6.95. Some are higher. I charge flat rate, 8.95 shipping and handling for all special order parts. It's less then a break even, but it helps absorb some of the cost.

You order in a dozen blades for a customer, charge them 9 bucks for shipping and the actual cost because of weight is closer to 20 bucks!!!

But, what if you order a dozen blades for 4 customers ?
You get 36 bucks for shipping from them ? ... Now you just made 16 bucks ?

Ramairfreak98ss
07-13-2006, 09:41 PM
well i called them today again, "The rep was out today" he will call about it tomorrow, which is friday, 16 days past when i ordered this thing. Which now i definitly wont have it until next week, I guess it pisses me off because my "gas" supplier for welding mix for my welder locally is now taking 15 days to FILL my bottle up, god i bought my own to avoid all this and now they ship them out on fridays and get them back on fridays, but last week, with july 4th they didnt do it. so I took it there 21 days ago as of tomorrow :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :confused: :dizzy:

if i ran business like this id loose money or loose customers!

hossmp
07-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey, I am also in your area and I am sure we both use the same dealer for Ferris. I like the guys at the dealership but I know what you are saying they are extremely slow. As for issues with your handheld stuff..there are alot of redmax dealers in central jersey. There is one in Robinsville that is newer and those guys are really good and fast.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, let's see. We went into the local dealer with a long list of Honda parts on 07/01/06.

Many of the parts were in stock so there was no wait. Some of the parts came in 07/07/06 and some didn't arrive until yesterday, 07/13/06. I guess you could say they'll have the needed parts within 2 weeks and be safe.

Although we'd like to be able to get our repairs done faster, this system is works for us on all our Honda & Stihl equipment. With the DR Chipper & the Lesco Spray Rig, we simply don't have room to store spare machinery so when these things break down, we want to have our parts same day. I have a feeling one day, we'll be buying backup equipment for these machines too and then there will be an extra storage bill to go along with them.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

PROCUT1
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
This is exactly what i was talking about in another thread a couple months ago.

IF YOU SELL THE MACHINE YOU SHOULD HAVE THE PARTS TO FIX THE MACHINE.

I will only go to a dealer and pay dealer inflated prices for the convenience of having it the same day. If i wanted to wait a day or two or ten, i would go home, order it online for HALF the price and even with overnight shipping it will usually be cheaper than paying the inflated dealer price.

Why should you have to pay the dealer shipping on a part that they should have had in stock?

dvmcmrhp52
07-14-2006, 08:31 PM
I have said in another thread a few months ago, and will say it here again. I think the business model for parts needs some tuning. The idea of going to the dealer, ordering the part, then returning at another time to pick it up, ... that model is outdated. No, not in all cases, but in most cases. Some of the days for turnaround mentioned here in this thread have been my experience too. I have been quoted 7 or 10 days, or a time similar. I can return home, pick up the phone, and have the part at my door 2 or 3 days later.

I think the dealer is having to pass these parts through a heirarchy of channels, such as the district warehouse, regional warehouse, etc.

Why has this model been outdated? This is a model that has been in place for decades. Now, in recent years, shipping has been changed significantly. Ten, twenty years ago, the UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc did not exist in the form of today. Large warehouses have parts inventory the smaller warehouses cannot afford to keep. The large ones are able to service more people, and therefore can keep stock of different parts because of overall demand. The online ordering and shipping strategies are so much different.

Oh yes, I would like to patronize the dealers. But, if something is needed and the dealer must go through their channels, it may take many days, AND I have to pay for "special order" in the end. It sounds like some dealerships, e.g. Deere, has been able to solve much of these problems.

Look at the large stores online for various consumer goods. A simple order is filled quickly, on the UPS (FedEx) truck that evening, and on its way to the consumer.

I am presuming that equipment owners are smart enough to read drawings and order the parts correctly. Herein may lie a major problem. However, often the person behind the parts counter at the dealership may have a problem reading the drawings for your piece of equipment -- they are confronted with attempting to read drawings for many, many pieces of equipment and may not be as familiar with your item as you, the self-mechanic. I had training in developing such drawings long ago as part of another career, so I may be oversimplifying the matter. For me, I am usually better able to read the drawing than the person behind the counter, but I have to remember I am the one who is focused on one item, I am the one who used the tools to take it apart, repair it the last time, etc. That gives me a huge advantage.

Good post.
In todays world of the internet and fedex type shipping from many vendors, the dealer has become the middle man. I'd rather order direct, have it shipped to the door with no cost or time lost for retrieving it from said dealer, at a lower cost for the same product. There is an attempt here to justify that outdated mode of doing business
when in fact the real problem lies in the structure of dealerships in general.
I can go to any auto parts store and recieve my parts in a day or two, why isn't that the case for equipment dealers?

Let's not even get into why the cost of a simple bearing is 2-3 times what you can buy it for elsewhere.............These are no brainer parts that are widely available at reasonable cost, but go into a dealership and what do you find?
Dealerships and manufacturers are doing it to themselves............

sawman65
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM

if we dont sell a part in three months we will not stock it period. if you cut my grass and i did not pay you for three months would you still be cutting my grass? i think not, same thing here why would i have a carb or a ring set if i cant sell it.do i keep it in stock just for you? LOL. now there are some exceptions to this rule and those are called fmp fast moving parts. blades, belts, filters and the like.we have to keep those even in the winter. but only on late model units,if you came to me and need parts for a mower i sold you 10 years ago chances are i will have to order them.and if you pay freight i will have them next day

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This is exactly what i was talking about in another thread a couple months ago.

I will only go to a dealer and pay dealer inflated prices for the convenience of having it the same day. If i wanted to wait a day or two or ten, i would go home, order it online for HALF the price and even with overnight shipping it will usually be cheaper than paying the inflated dealer price.

Why should you have to pay the dealer shipping on a part that they should have had in stock?
This is EXACTLY how i feel. Im paying for the convinience. even mulch kits, hell they sell Ferris, MOST guys mulch, 90% of their mowers sold, Ferris that is, have the 52" or 61" decks, you dont have ONE kit in stock? They also told me before over the phone a month ago when i asked for a mulch kit, that Ferris doesnt make one, then i find it in a catalog finally and i say this is what i want how much. $220. its ONE baffle and a block off plate, but whatever, common, im paying $200+ tax and waiting 2 weeks? I could have a machine shop make one from aluminum for under $200 in 2-5 days. Im not usually an impatient person, but ive been doing tons of lawns for over two weeks now leaving heavy lines of clumps every 5' in customers lawns, i need to go and use the backpack blower to blow ever 5' worth to disperse the mulched clippings. Its wearing thin now.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey, I am also in your area and I am sure we both use the same dealer for Ferris. I like the guys at the dealership but I know what you are saying they are extremely slow. As for issues with your handheld stuff..there are alot of redmax dealers in central jersey. There is one in Robinsville that is newer and those guys are really good and fast.

I use one near bordentown :dancing: i see your from cranbury, i think there was another dealer closer to you but not sure. I love the machine, but ive had past and present experience with JD and Simplicity dealers and it was awesome. This place also sells simplicity but never has anything there now. I use a place in PA too that sells toro/simplicity and the owner is awesome older guy, he gives me the entire run down on what i am looking for etc. This place i use now for ferris just trys to talk me out of everything..

Why do you want a bagger, why you want a kohler not the kawasaki, you sure you want a 61" deck, you dont need mulch blades, why do you want a ROPS kit, theyre $700 and plus installation and non foldable, you know anyones who rolled one? yeah like i dont know anyone who has tippped over a forklift or a 4x4 truck but i sure as hell wouldnt drive one without a Roll over protection system on it or something above me would i, or drive without a seatbelt, i guess its fine until your "first" accident, then you know someone who got in an accident so you should start wearing it :confused:

I ask if they can do any better on the redmax 8000 blower price of $549 plus tax nearly $590.00 , no, like wtf, i bought 4 small equipment from you and a $7000+ mower and get simplicity parts from you and have you repair my broken **** and you cant get closer to $500 ? fine ill just order it online then. I feel like im going to a car dealer with them.

smcunningham
07-15-2006, 01:13 AM
If I need a part and its not in stock and they have the part i need on mower in the show room,they will take it off the mower in the show room:)
they have done this many times for me:) :)