PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you stop cutting in the rain???

WJW Lawn
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Just curious....At what point do you guys stop cutting when it's raining? Do you cut in medium to heavy rain???

Brendan Smith
07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
depends on how far behind i am. i have cut in downpours before when i had to get caught up, but i try not to do it on showpiece properties. if i'm not behind and don't feel like getting wet, i won't.

jt5019
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
If puddles are forming on the roads..Im done

Groomer
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
when the lightening is snappin' and you can't see cause the rain is pelting your face, its beerthirty.

SamTheLawnMan
07-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Or in my case.....The mower stopped running. I had to wait till it stopped raining just to get the mower started again then I started back cutting. I think I may try to design a "hover" mower..lol....Oh, if I were you I would stop when the mower fishtails around a turn...(the F.B.I calls that a clue)

Rev. Crabgrass
07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Lightning will get the equipment loaded no questions asked. I will usually sit it out for a while to see if it is one of those 4 minute things that will blow off and leave sun and humidity.

REV.

JB1
07-11-2006, 06:27 PM
when the underwear get wet.

David Haggerty
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM
When the grass is mowed!

In fact I'd rather finish before it quits because it washes out the muddy tracks and drives the clumps into the turf.

We carry rain gear. Gore tex suits, rubber boots even rubber gloves.

Got stopped by a lightning storm this month. It was too close to even load the mowers. Around here most guys are killed by lightning while putting up the ramps or tarping their load. Whatever makes them the sole contact between the vehicle and the ground. We just huddled in the truck for a half hour.

lawnmaniac883
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
When the grass is too wet to be cut or the lightning is too severe.

nmez21
07-11-2006, 07:44 PM

Thats usually one of the first things that happens to me on a regular day:rolleyes: .

Brianslawn
07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
when the mower sinks 2 feet into the yard.

Jpocket
07-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Most of the time it's just a feeling for me. Usually we'll cut in a light mist or rain. The other day it' started pouring and my lazer slid down a bank into some trees. At that point i said "let's get the hell outta here"*newusflag*

grass_cuttin_fool
07-11-2006, 10:41 PM
If I have watched the weather and they are calling for a settling or all day rain........soon as it starts I call it a day, if the rain is just spotty.......I may go to the truck and wait for it to pass and start back

wayne

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Does anyone actually pull up to a residential when it's raining when the people are home? I'd feel a little ridiculous. I've always finished the job when it's raining, and maybe sit out a little, but going to the next job? :confused: That would piss me off if I had to pay full price for a lousy cut with ZTR tires ripping up the turf. Just my opinion.

LLandscaping
07-11-2006, 11:05 PM
We will work in light rain but we usually quit when it starts lightening or the rain gets heavy. If we are in the middle of cutting a property we usually try to finish.

topsites
07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Does anyone actually pull up to a residential when it's raining when the people are home? I'd feel a little ridiculous. I've always finished the job when it's raining, and maybe sit out a little, but going to the next job? :confused: That would piss me off if I had to pay full price for a lousy cut with ZTR tires ripping up the turf. Just my opinion.

I'm with you, besides I look at rain as my excuse to take the day off. I don't get that many days off and in this heat, first drop LOL.
No but as a general rule, if the roads are wet, I don't work in customers yards.

It all depends, I just hate those days where it's real dreary out and you know:
- If you go to work, you will get dumped on HARD and for sure.
- If you stay home, it will not rain at all and you will feel guilty.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
When we run out of soap or lightning strikes.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-11-2006, 11:17 PM

Last yr we go 94" of rain from March-Sept. Yes, mowing in the pouring rain was no option last yr. This yr we have been greatfully blessed (well in some ways). I can see where most would not like to mow in the rain. But gotta do what ya gotta do!!!!!

mulcahy mowing
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
like topsites if the road is wet i will stop. If i'm already out at a job and it starts I will cut no matter unless is a thunderstorm. But if it continues I pack up and go home.:)

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Last yr we go 94" of rain from March-Sept. Yes, mowing in the pouring rain was no option last yr. This yr we have been greatfully blessed (well in some ways). I can see where most would not like to mow in the rain. But gotta do what ya gotta do!!!!!

HAHA, you're in florida, If I were there that'd probably be the only time I'd work...ALL THE TIME.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
It all depends, I just hate those days where it's real dreary out and you know:
- If you go to work, you will get dumped on HARD and for sure.
- If you stay home, it will not rain at all and you will feel guilty.

Tis' the curse of the business. I like to get the gear on the truck and drive around the block and back home to provoke the rain gods.

TripleD'sInc
07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Just depends how far we are behind, mostly in southwest Florida the rain comes quick and ends just as fast so we usually wait it out, its almost like clock work down here in the afternoon it starts to cloud up sometime around 2pm or 5pm. If I'm in the middle of a yard I try and finish unless its lighting then we stop and wait it out (its kinda flat down here so It dozen't take much to make yourself a target!!!:confused: ).

lawnprosteveo
07-12-2006, 12:46 AM
As long as I wont hurt the yard, I'll keep cutting...I'll finish something Ive started in a heavy rain, but I wont start a new one in a medium or heavy rain.

WJW Lawn
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I was mowing in the rain a couple weeks ago, and saw some lightning...which is when I stopped. But I just couldnt help but remember the scene from Caddyshack when the Priest is having the game of his life and Bill Murray tells him to keep playing...lol Just funny is all.

zim bob the landscaper
07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
when its steady when its drizzling i keep going but if it gets heavier i stop and finish it when i can.

wherebluegrassgrows
07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!

Idealtim
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
When the mowers cut is comprimised or lightening out.

Freddy_Kruger
07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
If the rain is really cold I run for it.

nobagger
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
LMAO!:laugh: :laugh: Us too.;)

iluvscag
07-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Whenever MY tires make ruts.

poonero
07-12-2006, 10:54 PM
we quit when the rain drops are making bubbles in the puddles.

DuraCutter
07-13-2006, 02:26 AM
We quit when da windshield gets wet. Mowing in the rain somehow was never meant to be. Just my op inion

Splicer
07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
When the grass is just to loaded under the deck or when the yard is finished...whichever comes first...yesterday I got stuck in POURING rain (which of course did NOT let up like it should have or usually does) but I just had the side yard to do and trimming...since the mower was already caked with grass clippings I just finished the side yard and got drenched...Grass was clumping but the rain was coming down so hard the grass just got pounded right into the turf and there was no mess...

batdaddy044
07-16-2006, 01:50 AM
At the first sign of lightning-it can strike MILES from its parent thunderstorm!
Otherwise,we try to avoid cutting in a pouring rain , unless it's absolutely neccesary.