PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Rider155 starting problems

jasrxtx
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I am troubleshooting a Rider155 which is erratic in starting. Sometimes it starts, sometimes not (always cranks). Doesn't seem related to heat. I started to check interlocks, fuel pump, etc, but an electrical diagram would be helpful.

Anyone experienced the same problem, or knows how to get an electrical schematic showing interlock and ignition wiring?

TIA

Jas

FIXDISS
07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I am troubleshooting a Rider155 which is erratic in starting. Sometimes it starts, sometimes not (always cranks). Doesn't seem related to heat. I started to check interlocks, fuel pump, etc, but an electrical diagram would be helpful.

Anyone experienced the same problem, or knows how to get an electrical schematic showing interlock and ignition wiring?

TIA

Jas
PLEASE POST MODEL #'S AS SUGGESTED IN POST #4 IN THIS FORUM. Then I'm sure someone can help.

FIXDISS
07-11-2006, 07:40 PM

TIA

Jas
Go to www.husqvarna.com and click on forrestry and garden. Then choose country(USA).Under Retailers ans Service click on Products and manual search. Choose category for model/product search and follow the prompts to download owners/service manual pdf .

jasrxtx
07-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the tip on the online manuals. There is no service manual link but the Ops manual helped me isolate the interlocks as OK.

I have narrowed the problem down to the carburetor, I think. There is fuel flow into it and there is 12V at the fuel solenoid line at the carb. The engine will start if I drip some gas in the carb but quit after a few seconds.

I guess I will have to disassemble the carb to check if the solenoid is really operating, and if there is a float problem or debris stuck in orifices.

The engine is a Kohler Command Pro 15.5, Model CV15S. On the carb, I got the plastic 90 deg inlet cover off easily via the two 10 mm nuts. Now there are the long threaded bolts which appear to go into the manifold, but I can't pull the carburetor off these bolts. I can't tell if it is just the gasket cement holding it or if the threaded bolts need to be screwed out somehow. Any further tips? I am on my way to kohlerengines.com to see if the manual there will help.

thanks,

Jim

oldgreygox33
07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
You are on the right track - - - Carb needs thorough cleaning.

Restrorob
07-15-2006, 07:36 PM
You can go here and down-load a Service Manual;
http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp Click enter as guest then Service Literature.

jasrxtx
07-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Dissassembly of the carb and playing with the fuel solenoid turned up the problem - some sort of gummy deposit in the bowl which mostly was causing the fuel solenoid in the bottom of carb to not properly engage and let fuel in.

When I first hit the solenoid with 12V after it was dissassembled from the carb it didn't pull in. I pushed it a little with my finger and suddenly it started working. Cleaned it all out with gumout and it seems to be working reliably now.

I had listened for that solenoid to click when I was testing but didn't hear anything (I could tell it was getting 12V and drawing current). I wasn't sure how loud it would be, so I didn't zoom right into that as a problem.
After reinstalling the cleaned solenoid and carb, there is an easily audible "click" when the key is turned "on" so if it happens again it will be easier to diagnose. Maybe I should order the part anyway....

Thanks to all who posted help.

Jas