PDA

View Full Version : john deere 316

mjohnson1
07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
i have an old john deere 316, and the blades have stopped engaging. it started off with the blades not coming back on if i accidentally tripped the safety switch in the seat, and now they wont come on at all. sometimes when i flip the switch to turn them on it tries to kill the motor like im not on the seat, and sometimes it does the same thing when i take it out of neutral. someone said it could be the blade clutch, or the switch in the seat, or the blade engage switch. any ideas?

FIXDISS
07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=mjohnson1]i have an old john deere 316, and the blades have stopped engaging. it started off with the blades not coming back on if i accidentally tripped the safety switch in the seat, and now they wont come on at all.

Check the wires on seat safety switch and the operation of same with a multimeter. If it is ok then look for an operator presence relay in circuit. If it fails to engage then it could cause engine to shut down when trying to shift transmission or engage blades or even when you release the park brake.

mjohnson1
07-11-2006, 09:28 PM
check the seat safety switch for continuity? relay the same way?

FIXDISS
07-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes. check seat switch for continuity when closed/open. Relay should have power to coil inside to close contacts .