PDA

View Full Version : Wall job

tthomass
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
So I've sold my first wall job............its on a steep hillside on a lake to support a driveway (guy has a nice old 57' Chevy and a new Corvette). All together about 120' long and as high as 15' in some places wrapping around into the hillside. I've never built anything this big.........just small dry stack landscape walls..........this is a block wall. I read a lot on the internet and in books of how to do it so I feel confident and plus I'll get to play with a backhoe to dig out. I've never used on of those either but I grew up rid'n motorcylces and 4-wheelers and been around lots of mowers and so on so it can't be much more complicated. I figured about a week for me and a couple guys to do the job.

I do have one question........some places I read about geograde and wondered if you thought it was really needed or not?

Also any tips would be great.........thanks!!:)

Xylem
07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I can only hope that you are trolling.

paponte
07-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I'm sure the architect will let you know if you need it or not. :rolleyes:

kootoomootoo
07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Priceless.

*aussieflag*

Mike33
07-11-2006, 10:18 PM
So I've sold my first wall job............its on a steep hillside on a lake to support a driveway (guy has a nice old 57' Chevy and a new Corvette). All together about 120' long and as high as 15' in some places wrapping around into the hillside. I've never built anything this big.........just small dry stack landscape walls..........this is a block wall. I read a lot on the internet and in books of how to do it so I feel confident and plus I'll get to play with a backhoe to dig out. I've never used on of those either but I grew up rid'n motorcylces and 4-wheelers and been around lots of mowers and so on so it can't be much more complicated. I figured about a week for me and a couple guys to do the job.

I do have one question........some places I read about geograde and wondered if you thought it was really needed or not?

Also any tips would be great.........thanks!!:)
In responce to your question about geo-grid! If you dont know what it is you sure as hell have no place builing a wall like this. This is one hell of a wall with a surcharge it should be enginered and built by some one who know what the hell they are doing. Great liability your wall falls down while the guy is driving his vette by:hammerhead: This is no job to learn on, guys like you taking on jobs like this is the reason us pro's have to pay the high premium for insurance. By the way, after i watch some more tv tonight im going to perform brain surgery tomm.:laugh:
Mike

DLS1
07-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Why couldn't you first pick a simple 2 or 3 block high flower bed wall to practice on. :laugh:

DreamscapeDesigns
07-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Coming from a 15 year master landscaper who holds a masters in civil engineering,, PLEASE do not do this wall.............. It is not a matter of if you will fail, YOU WILL FAIL.... At some point down the road, this is going to be a huge nightmare for you and the client.... SUB it out..

richallseasons
07-11-2006, 11:15 PM
heres some very important words for you-------ENGINEER------LIABILTY-----EXPERIENCE-----LAWSUIT------ACCIDENT------and the list goes on,sub it out and work with the contractor and maybe get a CLUE

kootoomootoo
07-12-2006, 12:24 AM
You said its sold. how do you sell something when you dont know how to do it. If you dont know how to do it how did you figure our costs to get an install price.

Mike33
07-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Hope we got thru to this guy!
Mike

tthomass
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
haha.........ok ok I give! I was thinking at work today of how many of the "I sold it, how do I do it" posts I've read on here.

Thought I'd create one to the extreme.............hillside on a lake, used a mower I can use a backhoe etc haha

Have a productive day fellas! *trucewhiteflag* :hammerhead: :dizzy: :) :laugh:

DLS1
07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
haha.........ok ok I give! I was thinking at work today of how many of the "I sold it, how do I do it" posts I've read on here.

Thought I'd create one to the extreme.............hillside on a lake, used a mower I can use a backhoe etc haha

Have a productive day fellas! *trucewhiteflag* :hammerhead: :dizzy: :) :laugh:

I will make a mental note not to answer any of your post since they might be just joke posting. Or better yet maybe I will answer your post with a bad answer and let you determine if it is a right or wrong answer. :nono: :nono: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

Mike33
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I will make a mental note not to answer any of your post since they might be just joke posting. Or better yet maybe I will answer your post with a bad answer and let you determine if it is a right or wrong answer. :nono: :nono: :dizzy: :hammerhead:
i AGREE WITH YOU, we take out time for in put to be helpful i took the guy serious to steer him away from this to avoid trouble and get laughed at. He can go screw off.
Mike

tthomass
07-13-2006, 11:39 PM
oh don't get your pants all in a bunch.............really, read it and i think its obvious to be told its fake..........wall over a lake, mower = backhoe, cars just to add.......come on

think of how many REAL ridiculous posts are on here of people doing what i posted but not to that extreme............."yeah so i sold this but uh yeah, how do i do this anyway"...........i guess a little humor is a bad idea :hammerhead:

cgland
07-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah! Real funny! My Dad was killed by a wall falling on him that an amateur built.:cry:

Chris

mbella
07-14-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope some of you guys have a greater ability to screen your leads than your apparent ability to screen these threads.:laugh:

mbella
07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah! Real funny! My Dad was killed by a wall falling on him that an amateur built.:cry:

Chris

Yeah, and you will never be forgiven!:nono:

cgland
07-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah, and you will never be forgiven!:nono:

I know! I should have never hired you to do the job!

Chris

Mike33
07-14-2006, 10:55 PM
oh don't get your pants all in a bunch.............really, read it and i think its obvious to be told its fake..........wall over a lake, mower = backhoe, cars just to add.......come on

think of how many REAL ridiculous posts are on here of people doing what i posted but not to that extreme............."yeah so i sold this but uh yeah, how do i do this anyway"...........i guess a little humor is a bad idea :hammerhead:
Go play else where:hammerhead:
Mike

tthomass
07-14-2006, 10:58 PM
:hammerhead: