PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane or Bobcat mowers

onerepairman
07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Is any body running a Great Dane or Bobcat mower? They look a lot like the scag I though that they had a common engineer or something. How do they hold up? Are the easy to maintain?

J&R Landscaping
07-11-2006, 10:57 PM
No experince with great dane, but I have been told from a dealer they are a parent company associated with SCAG.
I ran a bobcat last season and it was a great machine. Very durable and relativley easy to service.

Signature Landscaping1
07-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Mr. Dane Scag.

ThirdDay
07-11-2006, 11:39 PM
There is absolutely NO association between Scag (Metal Craft of Mayville) and Great Dane.

Yes, Dane Scag started the company but it has since been sold to John Deere and now Auburn.

Great Dane's quality issues and parts availability problems have made them non existant in most markets.

pugs
07-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Mr. Dane Scag.

I think he started out working for Bobcat aka Ransomes and then went out and started Scag and Great Dane. I know Dane is part of JD now or whatever...what about Scag? Is he still involved with them?

Both are probably good machines. I would say it comes down to personal preference and dealer support. Is there a dealer for both of them close or not?

We are a Bobcat dealer...and there are many others around here. On the other hand Great Dane is very tough to find parts for. I had a customer that used to have one for his own lawn. It held up to some decent abuse from him and looked well made, but getting parts that could not be had aftermarket was a bit of a pain...

Signature Landscaping1
07-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I belive Dane Scag is not involved in scag at all now.

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
07-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I had the opportunity to meet Dane Scag several years ago and he was a fascinating guy. He started Bobcat then sold it, started Scag then sold it and most lately started Great Dane and then sold it. The names were obviously from his "americanized name". His real name is Dante Scagmuzzi (or something close to that). At the time I met him he was in his 80s and flew into town in his own small airplane. Each of his companies have gone in interesting directions, Bobcat remaining stable, Scag probably becoming better and Great Dane going in the opposite direction. Really quite an interesting story.....Mike

Mow"N"Bud
07-14-2006, 05:27 AM
I own a 52" Great Dane Chariot, and I simply love it. Like any piece of equipment, it must be utilized to it's capabilities. Great Danes are built heavy and bullet proof. They are my choice for open large areas. I maintain the the commons areas for several homeowners associations, all of which are properties rangeing from 4 acres to 8 acres. IMO there is no replacement for my Dane except for another one or a larger one. Here in Eastern NC I have not experianced any problems with getting parts, and the only parts I have needed are filters, blades, and the normal wear items. The only exception to this is when from my own over zealousness I broke something. A friend of mine owns a Bob Cat zero turn, and he loves it.

Everyone has their favorite. Go with what works for you.

Tharrell
07-14-2006, 06:31 AM
I exchanged emails with him last year. I found his email quite by accident and he replied. He's a nice guy and lives in Clearwater Florida. he said he still has his fingers in the business. I believe he has even lurked on this site from what he told me.