PDA

View Full Version : Residential mower

josh2006
07-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I need a mower for my new house. About 7 acres mowable. Going to mow 4 acres every week and the other 3 (on the other side of the pond and a little rougher) every other week or every third week. Dont have a ton of money to spend and here are my options. A craftsmen garden tractor 54 inch deck 2500 dollars, a cub cadet commercial m50 khs(50 inch deck, 23 hp kohler)-5000, cub cadet RZT 60(60 inch 23 hp kohler)-5200, or a bradley 52z for 3000. Which would you guys suggest? Whats the best buy for the money? Would something like the craftsmen hold up to that much mowing and actually last more then 5 years? How are the cubs? Thanks.

jeffinsgf
07-11-2006, 11:45 PM
That is a lot of mowing to do with a garden tractor. In your shoes, I would be shopping for a older used compact utility tractor and a new rear finish mower.

lawnmaniac883
07-12-2006, 08:47 AM
I cant actually recommend a mower from the choices you have narrowed it down to. Maybe try looking for a used 60'' zero turn in your area?

steve45
07-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Buy a used commercial mower. The Craftsman doesn't stand a chance...

dfischer
07-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Buy used

Buy better equipment

Cut 3 acres every 2-3 weeks?
That seems like trouble in the sprind and fall.

I've no idea what it takes to cut grass the tall, but perhaps you should investigate same. I fear discharge chute blocking may be in your future.

Boy will that require some spare power.

Ya'll need a JD 4410.

If nothing else, pay to get it done until you convince yourself you want to invest in better equipment. And maybe even watch what the pros are using and how well it works.

ekote
01-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Buy a used commercial mower. The Craftsman doesn't stand a chance...

I started out with a 42" Craftsman lawn tractor and the only problem I had in 2 Years was a broken mandral (hit the edge of a sidewalk) repaired for $42 in stock part. We cut 15 lawns a day 7 days a week for 19 weeks! Even in light rain,, Not a problem! Then sold it to the neighbor and it is still runnig good.

Some guys just think Cost of a machine justify charging an account more... I very much dislike low ballers, but so does all of the business that Walmart is killing. But we still shop at Walmart... better prices some task is done... Mybe not as fast, but just as good. Get what your budget says you can and treat it well... anything not taken care of will break. Even my Craftsman ran more than the Snapper 48" Hydro and that is because I rather sit on my butt and get paid... Sit, stand, or walk behind it... hmmm common sense why walk when you can ride.

Rhett
01-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Others that fit in your budget. How about a hustler fast track $3100. Maybe a Lesco 48 hydro $3600. Exmark Phaser $4800. Whatever you decide buy commercial once instead of buying MDT quality of stuff over and over.

DJL50
02-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I went through the same thing about a year ago. After looking at EVERYTHING I purchased a Toro Estate ZTR. A comercial grade mower built for the home owner with a lot of grass to cut. I got the 52" 19HP Kawasaki for $5,600. If you look at how this mower is built compared to the Cub's you are looking at you will SEE how big a difference there is. The deck on the Toro is 7ga. It took me a long time to drop that kind of money on a mower but now wished I had done it years ago. The time you save with a ZTR over a lawn tractor is worth the price alone. I took me 2 ½ hours to mow my grass with a 42" lawn tractor. Now it takes me one hour with my ZTR.

dfischer
02-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Ekote resurrects a 5 month old thread to brag about craftsmen mowers?

GreenN'Clean
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
If you can afford it I'd go with the cub cadet commercial tank its built to last a lifetime.

Jay Ray
02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Small Engine Warehouse had the Bradley 52 Z new for about $2850 buy-it-now, but it is no longer being made and there is nowhere to get parts that I know of. For that reason alone, I would avoid it.