PDA

View Full Version : What to do with too much water!!!!!

TripleD'sInc
07-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Okay, I have several yards in a very nice neighborhood ($800,000 to 1 Million homes). My problem is the property on each house is about 3/4 of an acre and lately we have had a lot of rain causing the yards to be covered by about 60% water. I try and get as close to the wet area without leaving tracks but I still have a lot of grass that still needs to be cut when I done mowing. I have tried my best to weed eat the unmowed area but this takes up more of my time. My clients haven't complained YET but I don't like leaving a sloppy job, but thanks to mother nature I don't have much of a choice. What are any of you doing if your experiencing this or have to solve this without cutting your customer(s) short? :hammerhead:

mike lane lawn care
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
is the water pooling? you could use a small pump to remove the water while you are mowing, i do that in the spring at my house, even with 3 miles of drainage pipe in my lawn some spots still pool. you could ask them if they want it leveled, if you have the capability to do so. or, another mike lane signature trick, is to use a hand post hole digger and dig a SMALL hole about 12" deep in the center of the pooling and them use a pump, this will work the best.

mulcahy mowing
07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
just do the best you can. then you have to level the lawn off when it drys.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I would think that is far beyond your control and they would understand that... if you do have ability to pump it out, where would it go? Also, If you would pump it out, that'd be extra dough for you, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to charge (or even if it is worth doing)... Is this a newly developed area? I'm seeing alot of poorly thought out developments springing up with disasters like this waiting to happen.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Oh please, this is florida!!!!! Consider that the new lake line until it recedes. For some reason they love to put these million dollar homes below the water table and most will do this. I mow in Stone Island and most of the time if you get down into the thatch and scratch with your finger you can watch the water flow like an old river bed. Take note of the ones that do this and adjust price for next yr. These yrds can be a real pita. Good Luck!!!

TripleD'sInc
07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Oh please, this is florida!!!!! Consider that the new lake line until it recedes. For some reason they love to put these million dollar homes below the water table and most will do this. I mow in Stone Island and most of the time if you get down into the thatch and scratch with your finger you can watch the water flow like an old river bed. Take note of the ones that do this and adjust price for next yr. These yrds can be a real pita. Good Luck!!!

I agree, this area was not that bad last year or maybe I forgot but I'm definitely going to adjust the prices next year or they can find some other LCO, (Which I'm kinda of hopping) to many other account/customers to chose from then swimming while mowing. :dancing:

MOW ED
07-12-2006, 06:35 AM
If you want to feel better then approach the homeowners with your concerns. Tell them that you don't want to damage their property and you cant maintain the wet areas until the tide goes out.
I think you are fine just leaving it go and if a homeowner questions you then tell them about your concerne for their property.