PDA

View Full Version : Foul Play involved?

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I've had this one particular account for well over 5 years. One year, they called and said they would do it themselves. No problem. The next year, they call me to do the work again. The man of the house had the entire front yard ripped up and resodded with some extremely thick spongy grass they only identified as japanese something or other. I haven't seen this type of grass in this area at all. Time passes, the grass appears to take, and the man dies.

Across the street, there lives a guy who has a LCO. He does damn near the whole block, except for my account. He has come over and we've did some general s@*t shooting "how bout the rain", "oh you got a new machine". A year passes and the grass outright dies in large patches. Dead brown, yet the everything else is perfectly dark green. No grubs. Looks like a chemical was thrown on it. The client claims the other LCO guy has done it overnight. She says she hasn't gotten along with some neighbors in the past, ect.

I don't know if she's paranoid, or if she's right. Then again, it does appear that the sod was laid inproperly and unlevel when I 1st seen it.

What do you guys think?

topsites
07-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I think there's no telling for sure...
Could be that, could be anything, lack of rain / too much rain or brown patch fungus, round-up, but who knows... I don't think the customer is paranoid but I also don't think there's anything to be concluded.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I initially thought the rain could of been a factor because last years rain shortage is when it 1st happened. Yet it seemed so drastic and quick, literally within a week or two. I've concluded that it can't be rain because she has been watering it frequently enough to make it grow ridiculously high in only 7 days. There was a time when parts would come back again, but then out of nowhere they'd hit hard again out of nowhere. I almost don't even want to do it anymore because I want it to look great and it makes me look bad. Then again that may be what the other guy wants. I'm clueless. Can someone post a link about the brown patch fungus, or discuss it briefly?

Brianslawn
07-11-2006, 10:38 PM
you think that lco killed the guy before killing the grass?

topsites
07-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Not that brief, but good info:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/factSheets/Turf/RhizoctoniaBrownPatchOfTallFescue2.asp
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/brnptch.htm

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:40 PM
you think that lco killed the guy before killing the grass?
No, cause he's buried in my back yard. That's what he gets for planting this insane moonwalk grass.:laugh:

DreamscapeDesigns
07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
please take a soil sample from three (3) SPACED LOCATIONS OF BROWN PATCH AND ONE (1) from good grass and post the results next week. Have them look spec for trace minerals and do toxocol on the soil to break down the chem comp.. THis will let you know what the lco is up to!!

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
any DIY listhmus paper testers or anything I can order? Taking this to a lab would be very expensive, right? I really want to get into ph testing and analyzing the chemical properties of the lawns to diagnose problems. Not to open up a can of worms, but any info on how to cheaply get into that would be appreciated as well.

What can I do if in fact, it is discovered that there chemicals thrown onto the property?

CutInEdge Lawn Care
07-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Is the owner putting a weed and feed down?

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Is the owner putting a weed and feed down?
Actually, yes. She told me she did this year. I'd rather handle these types of things but she said she put down some scott's garbage. I'm not aware if she did this when the problem first began though. I read through the link about brown patch given to me, maybe overfertilization?

Currier
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Well I guess this fits with the whole idea that it is always the landscapers fault. Except in this case his sin is just living in the neighborhood and being a landscaper.