07-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I ran across a 2000 Dodge 3500 Spec as follows:

Cummins Diesel

6 Speed Manual Trans

"I" PACK

Dump Body

Boss Plow

21,000 Miles

Truck is clean inside and out. It has not been used hard as the mileage would indicate. Inside cab is very basic. Not a lot frills. Asking Price is $15k. I think it's a fair price. The owner is a friend and I know he never beat it or ever heard him complain about it having problems.

My concern is about the GVWR. It's only for 11,000. On a truck like this shouldn't it be closer to 13,000 GVWR? I would like to put an aluminum body on it as I do ferilizer applications and the steel bed will not hold up to the fert over time. I am needing more capacity and the 11,000 is not a big enough jump from my F250.

Any thoughts on this or ideas to point me in the right direction to get more info.

Thanks

Gravel Rat
07-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry you SOL you better look for a F-450 if you want a heavier GVW because that Dodge is a light duty 1 ton. You can try beef the springs up but you will prolly end up bending the frame or overloading the rear axle.

A F-450 has a 15,000lb gvw runs a 11,000lb rated rear axle and 5000-5500lb front axle. The rear axle in the Dodge is only 8000lbs and the front axle at most 4500lbs.

FINN
07-12-2006, 12:01 AM
I was leaning toward the specs on a 450, but this rig looked attractive as it's hardly been used.

So ........from the factory the dodge 3500 is no more than 11000 gvwr?

Gravel Rat
07-12-2006, 12:17 AM
With such low mileage and good shape yes its hard to pass up a deal like that but I bet if you ask the guy the one of the reasons for selling it is because it doesn't carry enough.

I think there was something about the gov't bailing Chrysler out out of debt years ago Dodge wasn't allowed to build a truck over a certain gvw.

Dodge really hasn't built a heavy duty work truck in years they have always put suspensions too light in their trucks or the chassis are too light.

If you run around overloaded and ever get caught by the DOT you will have nothing but headaches.

lawnmaniac883
07-12-2006, 08:39 AM
The 2000 model year is not incredibly good for the cummins engine. This is when they switched over to 24 valve engines and the quirks werent all worked out for quite some time. That said, it is still better than a powerjoker so jump on it if the low GVW will accomplish what you need it to.

FINN
07-13-2006, 10:19 PM
I appreciate the replys. The low GVW does bother me but it will get me to where I need to be for the short term. I managed to get the price down to $13k and bartered an aerate and overseed on his lawn. Most of which can be done from the seat of my tractor. I renovated it last fall and did the weed and feed on it this season. It looks good and a touch up is all that's really needed.

The seller (known him for 27 years) is impulsive at times and I did not want him to rethink it. I could flip this truck in the spring and problably make a little money on it. Then look at a 450 with an Aluminum body of some sort. I might even consider taking the dump off and replacing it with a lighter aluminum body, giving me more payload.

My company is new and I'm grateful for the work that has precipitated this need. I just have so many other things to look at purchasing for upcoming jobs that a more expensive rig right now will have to wait.

tthomass
07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
great price but read into the issues with the injector pump and lift pump, front end suspension..............manual tranny is solid, auto you have to baby

i ALMOST bought one.........but that is a hell of a price so you know

FINN
07-14-2006, 08:23 AM
It is a good price. I told him for me the gvw hurts the value I can put on it and my mechanic looked it over and said it needs a few things but nothing to keep from buying it. It's not my choice of work truck, but for my current situation it will work. Theres a lot of "stuff" I'd like to have but you grow as you grow.

Your replys were very helpful. I do appreciate the input.

tthomass
07-14-2006, 11:27 PM
just make sure that you put a fuel pressure gauge on the LIFT PUMP and watch it religously

really.........otherwise you'll look back, read this post and do lots of this: :hammerhead:

-lift pump delivers to the injection pump, injection pump electronics are cooled by the fuel, loss of pressure in the lift pump causes less fuel............truck still runs but injector pump isn't as cool as sould be........so the $250 lift pump gets a little weak, not big deal right??? wrong.......injector pump fries itself and you're out about $1200 for the injector pump alone + labor

jsr2741
07-14-2006, 11:36 PM
The 2000 model year is not incredibly good for the cummins engine. This is when they switched over to 24 valve engines and the quirks werent all worked out for quite some time. That said, it is still better than a powerjoker so jump on it if the low GVW will accomplish what you need it to.

Dodge switched over to the 24 valve mid year 1998. The only Problem I ever heard of is of the 53 block which was prone to crack. Some did, some didn't.

As far as it hauling, you'll be fine.

FINN
07-15-2006, 07:53 AM
just make sure that you put a fuel pressure gauge on the LIFT PUMP and watch it religously

really.........otherwise you'll look back, read this post and do lots of this: :hammerhead:

-lift pump delivers to the injection pump, injection pump electronics are cooled by the fuel, loss of pressure in the lift pump causes less fuel............truck still runs but injector pump isn't as cool as sould be........so the $250 lift pump gets a little weak, not big deal right??? wrong.......injector pump fries itself and you're out about $1200 for the injector pump alone + labor

might be a stupid question on my part but.................do i then replace the lift pump (when I see this happening) asap and i'm good to go until the next time?

thanks

tthomass
07-15-2006, 09:53 AM
YES...........go to the Dodge forums and you can learn a lot

i think its 8psi is the norm but dropping to 6psi or less will kill the injector pump............some pumps run at 12psi, like i said, Dodge forums are your friend

also look into the "53 block".........don't want that block

jsr2741
07-15-2006, 12:29 PM
"do i then replace the lift pump (when I see this happening) asap and i'm good to go until the next time?"

thanks

If there isn't a fuel pressure gauge on the truck you will not know if the lift pump is weak or not. By the time you notice anything that points to a failed lift pump your vp-44 may of already been damaged (expect to spent about $1500 for a rebuilt vp-44). Before buying ask the seller if you can take it to a mechanic and have them do a fuel pressure check or if you have a fuel pressure gauge you could do it yourself. Anything under 12 lbs pressure or if it bounces between high and low pressurs you should change the lift pump out.

There are many way's of avoiding LP failure. They make a relocation kit which repositions the LP so it is lower than the tank. Or you can do as I and bypass the stock system and install an Air Dog system (I don't think the relocation kit was out when I did mine).

As mentioned before the 2 Dodge site are a wealth of information.

Potchkins
09-29-2006, 03:08 AM
did you get the truck? is it a quad cab?