PDA

View Full Version : The A/C on in the truck debate...

HOOLIE
07-12-2006, 01:12 AM
OK I've read many opinions on this...this year for the first time really I have a truck with air that can also pull a trailer at highway speed. So I'm crankin' the air. Now some guys feel that it's "bad" or somehow you "unclimatize" yourself by cooling off. Seems that when your body is overheated sitting in the AC is the smart thing to do.

Personally I feel a lot better and able to tackle each job after a brief trip in the AC.

Opinions?

ALarsh
07-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I never use A/C. I have the driver side window always down to let air in (passenger side up to keep grass out). The only time I could really use it is on the Wednesday route. Thursday and Friday routes are soo tight I only get in the truck to move it down the street.payup

T.E.
07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Since I own the truck, I'll decide when, and if the a/c is on. It's on going down the highway. If the workers don't like a/c let them sit in the bed of the truck. Later, Tony

Albemarle Lawn
07-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Ahhhhhhhh nothing like getting into a 50-degree cab on a 100-degree day.

My Mitsubishi-Fuso has a tiny cab and a 15,000 btu air conditioning. It gets so cold the widows sweat on hot days.

(Diesel tactic only: don't leave a gasser idling unattended on hot days it will likely overheat or develop carbon deposits in the engine).

jt5019
07-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I never use my AC just keep the drivers side window down.

Charles
07-12-2006, 07:47 AM
I have never used the AC either. Makes it easier to get out of the truck when its just about as hot inside the truck:)

ProStreetCamaro
07-12-2006, 08:22 AM
We use it on hot days. What we do is crank it full blast till we are about 5 minutes from the next job site then turn it on low. About 2 minutes away we turn it off and roll the windows down. That way when you jump out you dont get the cold to hot shock.

topsites
07-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I've never used A/C in the truck in all my short years...
Then again, none of my trucks ever had it working :laugh:

I have never used the AC either. Makes it easier to get out of the truck when its just about as hot inside the truck:)

That's about the only thing I think A/C affects, is the ability to get the tail back out into the fray :cry:

lawnwizards
07-12-2006, 10:36 AM
as far as gas mileage, i read that if you are driving over 40 mph then its better to have the a/c on to prevent the drag from your windows being down. under 40 then its better to have the windows open. as far as a/c when cutting, i use it when i need it.

J&R Landscaping
07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Both of the trucks I have owned, had working and cold blowing A/C. In my last truck which I had about 2 years, I ran the A/C maybe a dozen times TOPS! The F150, which I have had for a year has only had the air on when I need to take family to the doctors or something like that. I never run the A/c when I drive. I work outside in the heat all day and have grown soemwhat a customed to it so it doesn't bother me to much. If it did, I'd be looking for a new job and I don't plan on that happening any time soon!

Fantasy Lawns
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Na .... NO A/C ..... route's too tight ...

But we do run the heater on those cold winter days .... ya know when it in the low 50's or even the chilly mid 40's ..... BBrrrrr ;-)

Brendan Smith
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
my truck has ac, and i am proud to use it :)

jazak
07-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I use mine all the time, especailly on the way home.

lawnboy dan
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
only use it when driving home in the daily pm rains we get everyday . this is my first work trk that has working ac

Mowingman
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
I get a really bad headache if I go in and out of A/C all day. We run with the windows open, but also run the A/C, so we have a cool breeze blowing onto us. That takes the edge of the 100 degree heat in the cab, but does not make it cold to where it makes me sick.
When the guys are out, without me, they roll up the windows and run the A/C on high.

dfor
07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Darn right I use it. Might as well cool off a little between jobs.

mcwlandscaping
07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Once i get my truck, if im going for more than lets say a 25 min drive in the sweltering heat, sure ill turn it on, but i like the fresh breeze comming in better.

BCF
07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
On the way back to the shop I use it. Of course, I'm not in and out of the truck all day, but I thnk I would still use it.

all ferris
07-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Windows down....a/c on full blast. Thats how I do it.

cessnasovereign
07-12-2006, 07:46 PM
God I couldn't work without the AC in between jobs. Just today actually I was cutting a property that has alot of weedeating, so I was running around sweating up a storm and when I got back to the truck, I cranked it up with the AC going then closed up the trailer and went and measured a bed for mulch, ohhhh it was soooo nice getting directly into a nice cold truck.. Then when I got home, I jumped into the pool.. ahhh I wish my customers would let me swim in their pools. lol

cessnasovereign
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Windows down....a/c on full blast. Thats how I do it.

Before my Camaro was wrecked, I'd ride around with the windows down and the t-tops off and if it was a little hot, I'd run the AC, a little cold, I'd run the heat. :laugh:

But usually I'm not a window guy, cause I often listen to the music loud and don't like to be "that guy" at the stoplight with the annoying music over your own..

chuck bow
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Iam one to that runs from job to job site with windows down and air turned up it just cools you off enough to help you recover from the heat

Cigarcop
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Why have it if your not going to use it!

grass-scapes
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I run the air on low and have the windows down when it hits 85 or so. My helper sweats like a pig and stinks. It helps some on these 90 degree days we have been having.

kc2006
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I ran the air one time a couple years ago on a really hot day (it was in the upper 90's and really humid which is bad for here) and I got sick that day from going in and out. Never got sick from heat after that and never went in and out of a/c after that. I'll turn the a/c on only when I'm going to the further out jobs where I sit for 10-15 minutes. As for mileage, it doesn't bother me, the truck gets 20mpg already so one or two mpg less isn't going to kill me.

tcls83
07-12-2006, 09:48 PM
When I first started I had a couple of trucks from the 80's with no A/C. They had vent windows, and openable floor vents. It seemed to do the job fine, unless if you were stopped. Then when I finally bought an A/C equipped truck, it was quite nice having a cool cab. But even in the 90 degree days I sometimes did not use it, and had my windows down. I actually like the hot weather a lot, as long as I have plenty of water to drink.

But now my A/C equipped truck only blows out the defrost vents no matter what position the switch is in, it does very little to cool the cab. I have checked the vacuum lines, they seemed ok, but I am looking for a new truck anyways. And A/C is still a no-brainer to me (Well, pretty much all new trucks come with A/C anyways).

And I sleep during hot humid nights with only a box fan and a sheet over me, and I still can sleep just as soundly.

I can live without A/C, but it sure is a treat to have at your disposal.

Stringblade
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
make sure you shut it off after each and every stop. had mine compressor blow out in my 03 truck, due to starting with the ac engaged a very costly mistake.

ho5tile
07-13-2006, 03:57 PM
A friend of mine is a mechanic for the state DOT here and he tells me that the state accualy specs the trucks they order with no a/c. The funny part is most work trucks come from the factory with it so the state has to pay extra to not have it!;)

SproulsLawnCare
07-14-2006, 04:37 AM
I never use the air in my truck unless I'm running around on personal errands. It's easier to just stay used to the heat. I plan to shut the air off in the house as soon as I go full time and don't have to work in a climate controlled factory. I never even noticed the heat when we lived on a farm with no air in the house or vehicles. Just an every day occurrence then.

Mow"N"Bud
07-14-2006, 05:53 AM
IMO every Ford I have ever owned blows cold air thru the vent with out using the A/C. I'm not sure why this is, but my trucks are cool. When I do turn on the A/C it is so cold it blows a white mist, and the windows sweat. I can say Thank God for the gas I am saving by not running the A/C especially when pulling trailers. Anyway, I recently read in a car magazine that next year ford is supposed to put out F150's with a V6 turbo diesel. I can't wait. I will be buying. :)

lawnprosteveo
07-15-2006, 11:15 PM
In my other job, firefighter/emt, we are taught that going from working in the extreme heat...like fighting a house fire on a really hot day...and going immediately into the a/c can shut down the body's natural cooling ability.

Its better to cool down in the shade without a/c. I use this while mowing too. I drive with the windows down and the a/c barely blowing...just enough to give a little extra breeze. It seems to work well.

HOOLIE
07-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Supposed to be near 100 here this week plus stifling humidity, I think the AC will be on :)

It's really the humidity that's the killer, the AC sucks the moisture out of the truck nicely...I've ridden around on 90 degree, dry days with the AC off. So maybe guys that live in drier regions wouldn't use it as much.

Palmer'sLS
07-16-2006, 12:27 AM
It's really the humidity that's the killer, the AC sucks the moisture out of the truck nicely...I've ridden around on 90 degree, dry days with the AC off. So maybe guys that live in drier regions wouldn't use it as much.

yeah..it was extremely humid here for like the last few days...i hear that arizona and other south-western places arent nearly as humid?!?!

Evergreenpros
07-16-2006, 01:11 AM
On hot days we just keep the windows down about 1/4 way and leave the a/c on. It's very refreshing and after working with no a/c and now having a/c I'll never go back.

dlandscaping
07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
The only time I use the ac is when I am stuck in traffic. The windows otherwise stay down the whole day. For the <2 minutes between stops, the ac wouldnt do much. It just gets hot as it sits in the sun. If it gets dirty inside, I just take the blower and blow it out. Vinyl seats and floors.