PDA

View Full Version : foundation vents

kevy_kev
07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
i am a homeowner that is putting in a 550ish Sq Ft Raised patio. So far so good. I have the retaining wall done, most of the 18 tons of 3/4" gravel moved around and the sets of stairs into the yard and off the slider done.

Now I have a problem. The stairs coming off of the laundry room has a foundation vent under the door! My house has a basement but this one corner has a crawl space. Its about 10x8 crawl space area with 2 vents. 1 on the West side and 1 on the North side. Has anyome come across something like this? can I use something to redirect the air flow or just cover it up and hope the 1 vent is good enough?

thanks

tylermckee
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
they make vent covers that go around the vent and keep it open, you backfill around them. like a tiny crawlspace access well, head to your local lumber yard/lowes/home depot and see what they have.

kevy_kev
07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
thanks tylermckee.
So it is something that will fit in my stairs? I planned on building exposed stairs using the pedestal method and no lanmding on top since the door opens in.

D Felix
07-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I think what he's referring to is essentially a half-circle metal/plastic piece that goes around the vent. I don't think that will work for what you are describing....

What you will have to do is remove the vent from that location and move it to an unaffected area, on the opposite side from the remaining vent. Plug the hole with another concrete block, mortared into place. If it's going against the sill, you might want to make sure you get some sealing foam on top of the block against the sill.

If the stairs will be up against the side of the house above the siding, make sure you adequately flash the sheeting! There was a question on that in the last few days.

kevy_kev
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
After I responded I realized what he was talking about and that it wouldnt work for me.
So, the only way is to play around with my foundation? That doesnt sound good. It is the last block up against the sill. I guess I could just pull one out and swap it with the vent. SOunds too easy, sure something will go wrong.

kevy_kev
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
as far as the stairs go. I am just butting them up against the deck ledger that was already there and am going to paint that with exterior paint to match the house. The stairs are the width of the ldger too so not overlapping in the siding at all. If thats the case, do I still need to flash? Going to look for the post you mentioned now.
thanks

D Felix
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't think I'd butt them up against a deck ledger. The steps will be there until someone tears them out, but that wood ledger board will rot in time, even if it is treated.... Concrete is porous and will hold water longer than you might think. Water against wood isn't a good thing. Wood either needs to be completely wet (underwater) or completely dry to last. It's the getting wet and drying out that causes rot.

That being said, if you do butt them up against a ledger board, make sure it's flashed well.